E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB connector broken..... :(

12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

USB connector broken..... :(

has anyone broken off the little black piece inside of the usb connector that prevents you from putting in the cable the wrong way? i removed my cable today and that FU^($*$#(# piece got stuck in the usb cable. how can this happen!!!!!

any solutions so i dont have to spend 100000 at bmw getting it fixed? i have 2 12'' jl audio w7s and every time things like this happen they blame it on the subs. any DIY?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

There's not a "little piece to keep you from plugging in backwards." That piece has the contacts on it.

Luckily, the thing that houses the Aux and USB ports is its own piece. As long as you're okay pulling apart the armrest trim to get in there, it shouldn't be too hard to swap in a new module, and I'd bet they're like $20-$30 or less. But I don't know the part number or price off hand. A search for $6FL retrofit may be helpful.

If it IS way more expensive, you may well be able to have a (much more) electronically inclined friend take apart the module I'm talking about and replace only the USB jack (solder a new not broken one in.) But that would be a huge PITA, thus likely much more expensive.
      12-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise36 View Post
hhow can this happen!!!!!
Sometimes stuff just breaks. If (and I mean *if*) you tend to wiggle the connector to insert or take it out, that can stress the internals and cause that kind of failure. Don't wiggle the connector if you can help it.

As alexwhittemore mentions, that piece is an integral part of every USB connector. The part does seem to be available independently, check realoem.com to look up the part number.

If in warranty I'd at least see if it'd be covered. If your dealer is really, truly, blaming the subs for everything that you bring your car in for, it's time to find a new dealer.
Appreciate 0