E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Sirius Radio (official instructions)

12-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

The led next to Park is always lit after you shut off the car...don't know why, doesn't make much sense. My car did that when it was new a few weeks ago and still does it after my OEM alarm install (by dealer).
On another note, I too am interested in installing the Sirius package myself. Does anyone have pics of this DIY. With enough instructions I can build an atomic bomb. Oops probably shouldn't say that nowadays.
      03-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

so do we still need to take the car in for a software update after the sirius DIY??
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Instructions on removing back seat

Wow... the back seat part took some the longest amount of time since we (me and a friend) had no idea what to do. The instructions did not mention how to do this outside of the generic remove rear seat message.

To make this worse, his car did not have flip down rear seats....

So... heres a word of advice to pass on to the next person doing this install to save time.

To take apart the rear seat, lay down in the trunk and look up at the rear deck. There should be a total of 4 12mm nuts that must be removed (2 on the left, 2 on the right). These screws are for the latch that holds the back seat down. Then... for the rear seat bottoms, pull up at the front and pull forward to remove. Then, in the center towards the bottom of the bench, there are 2 T45 hex screws that need to be removed. Then, pull the rear bench slightly upwards and forwards to remove.

To re-assemble the seats, just remove the two latches to the rear back seat bench and screw them back into place with the 4 12mm nuts. Then place the seat back into place and let them snap in. Then tighten the 2 T45 screws back on and rear seat bottom.

That should be it...

Oh - and another thing that wasn't so evident, for the part of removing the 2 fiber optic bundles apart, the latch that needs to be moved is actually on the left hand side of the thing (left hand side if you were looking at it directly).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #26
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Wow... the back seat part took some the longest amount of time since we (me and a friend) had no idea what to do. The instructions did not mention how to do this outside of the generic remove rear seat message.

To make this worse, his car did not have flip down rear seats....

So... heres a word of advice to pass on to the next person doing this install to save time.

To take apart the rear seat, lay down in the trunk and look up at the rear deck. There should be a total of 4 12mm nuts that must be removed (2 on the left, 2 on the right). These screws are for the latch that holds the back seat down. Then... for the rear seat bottoms, pull up at the front and pull forward to remove. Then, in the center towards the bottom of the bench, there are 2 T45 hex screws that need to be removed. Then, pull the rear bench slightly upwards and forwards to remove.

To re-assemble the seats, just remove the two latches to the rear back seat bench and screw them back into place with the 4 12mm nuts. Then place the seat back into place and let them snap in. Then tighten the 2 T45 screws back on and rear seat bottom.

That should be it...

Oh - and another thing that wasn't so evident, for the part of removing the 2 fiber optic bundles apart, the latch that needs to be moved is actually on the left hand side of the thing (left hand side if you were looking at it directly).
Thank you for this addition, I dont have the folding seats either and it made it much easier to take the seat apart knowing what I was looking for or I may have been there all day!!

So basically there is no way to tell whether or not you connected it correctly until BMW does the update right?

After I moved the fiber connections and reconnected the old ones in the right place (according to the Version 2 pdf) I tested everything in the car. SOS, Bluetooth, Radio etc everything worked the way it did before I started so I guess its ok.

My question is, WHY THE HELL DO YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE FIBER JUMPERS, if nothing changes except for allowing the sat receiver to work later?

I mean if you have the sat prep package why arent the fiber loops already setup in the correct place if it doesn't seem to make a difference after you move them around?
      12-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you can't find the hook-ups under the trunk floor...

My car, E90, has the Sat prep option but I could not find the hook-ups under the trunk floor. For a certain period BMW placed the hook-ups in the left (driver) side trunk panel, near where the CD changer is installed.

If you lift your trunk floor and don't see the hook-ups then they are likely on the left side. You will need to order a new left trim panel, part 51477122411 and the installation kit, part 65110035509. Of course you need the module itself as well. Don't be alarmed when a huge box shows up - the trim panel is big!

Attached are the official instructions for this style install. I found them elsewhere on the site but they would be useful in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sirius-Install-Nov-2006-1.pdf (1.42 MB, 1685 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #28
a32guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

Do you think a 335i with Nav system would be prewired for satellite radio? Just bought one and its the only option it didn't come with

If so I will definitely be doing this!

Thanks for the info guys,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by a32guy View Post
Do you think a 335i with Nav system would be prewired for satellite radio? Just bought one and its the only option it didn't come with

If so I will definitely be doing this!

Thanks for the info guys,
Chris
Call your local dealer and ask for service. Give them your vin and they can tell you if you have the Sat Prep option.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

sirius install

Ok, I am looking for the proper instructions for part number 65129142852 which is a sirius module going in to a 2008 BMW 328 xi. Anyone have the latest instructions to cover my car?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

E90 Version 4.0 install instructions

Finally got these from a dealer, for a 2008 E90 install of Sirius Module
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90Sirius.pdf (332.5 KB, 2134 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #32
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quick question:

What happens if I install all the parts PRIOR to having the car coded at the dealer? Will everything else still work or will I be left with no radio/CD/iPod until it's coded?

I'm wondering because I know I have to move the fiber optic cables behind the rear seat and that might cause me to lose some functionality (although, so long as they still have connectivity from one to the other, they should work just fine).

Can anyone tell me if I should just go ahead and connect it PRIOR to my dealership appointment in a week? I mean, who knows, it might just work without having to be coded, right (one can dream, can't he?)?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #33
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Too Easy, Drill Sgt!

I tackled this DIY yesterday afternoon, around 2pm. The instructions are very clear and by 2:30pm I was inside drinking a cold beer (I have fold down rear seats, so that makes it easier).

If there is one thing I'd like to add, it's that when you move the fiber cables from the MOST blocks, move the cables from the top of bottom block (one by one, starting with the highest number, obviously) and then plug the cable from the #4 slot in the top MOST block in slot #1 on the top. Then do the bottom the same way, plugging the cable from the #4 slot in the bottom of the top block into the #2 slot in the bottom block. If you do it this way, there is no need to label any cables as you are removing them and plugging them into their new spots within a second.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #34
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
I tackled this DIY yesterday afternoon, around 2pm. The instructions are very clear and by 2:30pm I was inside drinking a cold beer (I have fold down rear seats, so that makes it easier).

If there is one thing I'd like to add, it's that when you move the fiber cables from the MOST blocks, move the cables from the top of bottom block (one by one, starting with the highest number, obviously) and then plug the cable from the #4 slot in the top MOST block in slot #1 on the top. Then do the bottom the same way, plugging the cable from the #4 slot in the bottom of the top block into the #2 slot in the bottom block. If you do it this way, there is no need to label any cables as you are removing them and plugging them into their new spots within a second.
Sounds pretty straight forward but did you still have to go to the dealer for a reprogram? Do you still get the year free or whatever with the retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #35
DMC1068
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Dock and Play

I wanted to use my dock and play so I don't have to get another subscription to listen is another car or in the house. I have a life time subscription on this radio and a second for my wifes radio. Was really torn about if I should get the receiver box from the dealer. I decided to go dock and play but I hate wires hanging. I didn't want to use the aftermarket antenna. I read on this forum and bimmerfest. My sharkfin antenna hookup was not where the dealer instructions said it would be but I did find it. I should have taken more pictures while doing it. Total time was a little more than half an hour and I did not have to take apart the trunk panel or anything other than pop up the rear seat bottom and two screws from under the dash. I did have to remove the climate control to mount the bracket. Instructions came with the bracket.

Name:  DSCN9147.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  267.1 KB

Name:  DSCN9148.jpg
Views: 4428
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  DSCN9149.jpg
Views: 4404
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  DSCN9150.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  221.4 KB

Name:  DSCN9151.jpg
Views: 4429
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  DSCN9152.jpg
Views: 4389
Size:  210.5 KB

Name:  DSCN9153.jpg
Views: 4402
Size:  270.6 KB

Name:  DSCN9154.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  234.3 KB

Name:  DSCN9155.jpg
Views: 4363
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  DSCN9156.jpg
Views: 4378
Size:  153.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #36
froe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Can anyone explain how to access the fibre optic bundle on a coupe with fold down seats?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #37
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Accessing Antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC1068 View Post
I wanted to use my dock and play so I don't have to get another subscription to listen is another car or in the house. I have a life time subscription on this radio and a second for my wifes radio. Was really torn about if I should get the receiver box from the dealer. I decided to go dock and play but I hate wires hanging. I didn't want to use the aftermarket antenna. I read on this forum and bimmerfest. My sharkfin antenna hookup was not where the dealer instructions said it would be but I did find it. I should have taken more pictures while doing it. Total time was a little more than half an hour and I did not have to take apart the trunk panel or anything other than pop up the rear seat bottom and two screws from under the dash. I did have to remove the climate control to mount the bracket. Instructions came with the bracket.

Attachment 461810

Attachment 461811

Attachment 461812

Attachment 461813

Attachment 461814

Attachment 461815

Attachment 461816

Attachment 461817

Attachment 461818

Attachment 461819
Could you explain in more detail where you would find the antenna and how you routed from rear of car into center console? I have 2 cable bundles in my trunk where the receiver would be installed. I think your setup looks great and am considering this approach as opposed to the $500+ for getting the OEM radio setup, which IMO is not as nice an interface than the portables (e.g., scan, memory, screen display).

Also, where did you find the mounting bracket?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #38
DMC1068
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
Could you explain in more detail where you would find the antenna and how you routed from rear of car into center console? I have 2 cable bundles in my trunk where the receiver would be installed. I think your setup looks great and am considering this approach as opposed to the $500+ for getting the OEM radio setup, which IMO is not as nice an interface than the portables (e.g., scan, memory, screen display).

Also, where did you find the mounting bracket?
After reading posts here I looked for the bundle under the trunk tray. It wasn't there. Mine was under the plastic plate for the CD changer. There were a few bundles. I unwrapped them and found the pink one. I ran a 20ft cable that I bought to test before installing it. It showed a signal that is the first two pictures. I got my cable here. Without removing the trunk carpet I was able to run it to under the rear seat, which I had already removed (bottom only). I ran it across to the passenger side. You can slip it under the trim and it will stay. I did this all the way up to under the dash. 2 screws to remove the panel and run it to behind the center console. I bought the bracket here. You can also get the cable there. It was out of stock but I just got an email that it is available now.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #39
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC1068 View Post
After reading posts here I looked for the bundle under the trunk tray. It wasn't there. Mine was under the plastic plate for the CD changer. There were a few bundles. I unwrapped them and found the pink one. I ran a 20ft cable that I bought to test before installing it. It showed a signal that is the first two pictures. I got my cable here. Without removing the trunk carpet I was able to run it to under the rear seat, which I had already removed (bottom only). I ran it across to the passenger side. You can slip it under the trim and it will stay. I did this all the way up to under the dash. 2 screws to remove the panel and run it to behind the center console. I bought the bracket here. You can also get the cable there. It was out of stock but I just got an email that it is available now.
Thanks for the info - it was great! I found the bracket on numberous websites. As for the antenna cable, the one you linked to is only 5 feet long. Is that really all you needed to snake from front console through dash and into trunk? Sounds short to me. Any specific info related to this cable will help.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #40
DMC1068
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
Thanks for the info - it was great! I found the bracket on numberous websites. As for the antenna cable, the one you linked to is only 5 feet long. Is that really all you needed to snake from front console through dash and into trunk? Sounds short to me. Any specific info related to this cable will help.
Sorry, here is the cable I ordered. There is a link under the title for other lengths. 16 feet was nore than enough. Obviously you don't want it to short and if you have a little extra you can leave some in the well of the trunk. I would start in the trunk and feed it to the back seat. Then runn it along the side trim without putting it under the trim. Make sure you run it along the trim and not on the outside of the seatbelt or you will have to redo it. Connect it to the radio mount and then work your way back gently pulling behind the center console and then routing up under the dash and across and over the top of the kick panel. Then down and under the trim panels. It is very easy to do. If you have excess you can leave it under the seat or feed some back to the trunk. Let me know if you need more pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #41
AParamedic
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 MonacoBlau/Cream

Does anyone have instructions for installing the sirius radio in an e93?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #42
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i (F30)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330MX View Post
My car, E90, has the Sat prep option but I could not find the hook-ups under the trunk floor. For a certain period BMW placed the hook-ups in the left (driver) side trunk panel, near where the CD changer is installed.

If you lift your trunk floor and don't see the hook-ups then they are likely on the left side. You will need to order a new left trim panel, part 51477122411 and the installation kit, part 65110035509. Of course you need the module itself as well. Don't be alarmed when a huge box shows up - the trim panel is big!

Attached are the official instructions for this style install. I found them elsewhere on the site but they would be useful in this thread.
I just used these instructions to successfully install Sirius. However, like 330MX, my hookups were in the left compartment. What I did was reroute the satellite wires to under the center trunk panel. This way I didn't have to buy a new left-side trunk liner and lose trunk space, since I probably won't be buying a CD Changer anytime soon. The bracket (65 11 0 406 351) is cheaper in the center, too.

It was pretty simple--it just took a small knife, some gentle tugging, and some patience. In the end you get just enough slack to route the wires along side the TCU wires (under a metal arm) to the center trunk compartment. One thing to note here: you can't install the radio unit onto the bracket in the way it was intended. I had to turn mine 90 degrees counterclockwise (so that the connections point toward the backseat), screw in one bolt, and use two-sided tape to make sure other areas were snug. In the end, it will look a little ascew, but it's not going anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #43
MrBusiness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport 6-MT

Thanks so much - Princeton charged me $125 for the re-program (even though it took more than an hour!)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #44
PCTAtc
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

so part #65126948064 is not compatible with an 08 328i??
Appreciate 0