E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Mod to stiffen chasis/turn in ability

06-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Mod to stiffen chasis/turn in ability

Pardon if the post is filled with ignorance but I do not know much about the interior mechanics of my BMW.

I recently switched from RFT tires to Non RFT and I'm not a fan of the softer ride. I want something that can stiffen up the ride and make the turn in ability firmer. I know coils and springs are an option but that is out of my budget currently. What I'm lookign for is anything besides that which would stiffen my chaiss/turn in abilities.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

If coils, springs, etc. are out of your budget, then what can you afford (parts + labor)?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

if you can't get springs/coilovers, I think your only other option are anti sway bars. and installing the rear one is a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

You can get used springs for under $200. Not the best way to do it but if that's your budget...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Just savie up and start mod'ing the car slowly, but nothing comes "cheap".

I'll do the M3 control arm swap first. If you're tight on money, do the front first as it is cheaper. Also while you're at it, do the sway bar end links and also have them aligned the front with MAX camber possible. That alone, should make your turn in much sharper.

When you have the extra dough, do the rear control arms and things as well, when you're at it, you can also do the m3 subframe bushings which will significantly stiffen up the loose rear end feeling that we get on the 335i. Car will feel much more planted. aftewards.

Last thing to consider will be LSD, very pricey mod but will worth every penny. Will help your turning abilitiy by A LOT. car will also feel much more planted and in control during all types of driving.

Springs will not help much besides stiffening (ruining) the ride. Coils will be very pricey.

I'll leave sway bars till the end. probably do sway and subframe bushing at the same time because you'll have to drop the subframe for the swap (for MUCH MUCH easier access, i actually dont know whether or not it is possible to do it without dropping the subframe).
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
kRaZeD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Swaybars.

Will make the car a lot flatter around corners. Great bang for buck. I had coilovers in my last car, absolutely loved them. Then chucked in swaybars afterwards and fell in love with the way it handled, as I could have the ride fairly plush, yet still retain amazing cornering ability.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Ask for bump stops from supreme power, reduced my body roll to pretty much flat
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

M3 front control arms by TRW and remove the alignment pin from your strut tops and have the car aligned with as much neg camber up front as possible and M3 toe specs. I did this before springs/shocks to improve turn in response lost due to switching to traditional tires.

Last edited by cvc 22349a; 06-07-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Just savie up and start mod'ing the car slowly, but nothing comes "cheap".

I'll do the M3 control arm swap first. If you're tight on money, do the front first as it is cheaper. Also while you're at it, do the sway bar end links and also have them aligned the front with MAX camber possible. That alone, should make your turn in much sharper.

When you have the extra dough, do the rear control arms and things as well, when you're at it, you can also do the m3 subframe bushings which will significantly stiffen up the loose rear end feeling that we get on the 335i. Car will feel much more planted. aftewards.

Last thing to consider will be LSD, very pricey mod but will worth every penny. Will help your turning abilitiy by A LOT. car will also feel much more planted and in control during all types of driving.

Springs will not help much besides stiffening (ruining) the ride. Coils will be very pricey.

I'll leave sway bars till the end. probably do sway and subframe bushing at the same time because you'll have to drop the subframe for the swap (for MUCH MUCH easier access, i actually dont know whether or not it is possible to do it without dropping the subframe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
M3 front control arms by TRW and remove the alignment pin from your strut tops and have the car aligned with as much neg camber up front as possible and M3 toe specs. I did this before springs/shocks to improve turn in response lost due to switching to traditional tires.

+2
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Ask for bump stops from supreme power, reduced my body roll to pretty much flat
This is interesting.. I have always thought and been told it is NOT good to ride the bumpstops (for handling anyway), unless your car is so lowered that you have no choice.

In the least, I don't really see how this would benefit a car with stock suspension and ride height. If these bumpstops are taller than stock and/or stiffer, how would that benefit handling when you have less shock travel? It would also make the ride more bumpy. I am not talking about modified cars here or when racing them (as I did for 11yrs and we usually cut the bump stops to shorten them). Just stock suspension. But I can see if the aftermarket bump stops are factory length, and they are of harder composition, how it might reduce body roll a little when cornering. Still I don't think it improves handling and might even make it worse or induce understeer. The best mod for body roll is sway bars, and spring/shock combo.
If you have excess body roll, dive and squat, then that means it's time for new shocks or look at your rear bushings. Taking down the shocks to just install bump stops is not worth the effort IMO. Might as well replace the shocks and/or springs while at it.

Harry
      06-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Riding bump stops is a bad idea. Infinite spring rates and dampers do not go together well.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Riding bump stops is a bad idea. Infinite spring rates and dampers do not go together well.
bad idea as in longevity or function of the suspension? or comfort and performance?

the bumpstops i got from supreme power were like $50 shipped, if you don't like them, return them or sell them I guess, I've driven 2k miles in less than 2 weeks with them, norcal to socal and back twice and never gave me any issues, function or comfort wise. family and kids in the back weren't complaining. I primarily did it to reduce suspension travel when the car would dip on highway dips with a full load of people and luggage and it has not disappointed me at all. I added one half inch rubber bump stop to each corner without any negative drawback IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
Pardon if the post is filled with ignorance but I do not know much about the interior mechanics of my BMW.

I recently switched from RFT tires to Non RFT and I'm not a fan of the softer ride. I want something that can stiffen up the ride and make the turn in ability firmer. I know coils and springs are an option but that is out of my budget currently. What I'm lookign for is anything besides that which would stiffen my chaiss/turn in abilities.

Thank you!

Your best bet may be to adjust (increase) your tire pressure.
I had a blow out and had to temporarily replace one of my non flats with
a oem runflat I had lying around. With both rear tires (1 rft 1 nrft) inflated to
35 psi, it was clear exactly where the run flat was. It produced more noise, feel, and response than the regular tire and made the rear end feel funny.

To remedy the problem, I left the run flat at 35 psi and inflated the regular tire to 42psi. Problem solved, until I get my new non run flat to replace it.

Depending on what runflats you had and what tires you have now, you should be able to replicate the runflat feel and response by increasing the psi of your tires.
Appreciate 0