E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d no boost at low revs

05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535d F10, x1 2.5d F48, x3 3.0d

Hi Guys sorry for late reply.. well as it stands i had to pay for the hoses but all this being looked into by BMW warranty so hopefully this week i have this all resolved.. but as all the pressure converters sensor and all the mechanical parts had to be changed the warranty should cover this all so i have to wait and see. Cars running much better. Once again thank for everyones help that posted on here hopefully i have a full update once warranty get this all sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Sorry for the late reply as I see you asked me a direct question

My invoice was around £620

That included extras tho

2 actuators / pressure converters
Hoses
U bend for small turbo oil feeder pipe

It was all covered by bmw warranty

Glad it seems sorted, its hard to get hoses covered as they are an exclusion. If you push it enough they will probably accept it. I persevered
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
dmt335d
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2006 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I've got the same problem with my 335d. Mines a 2006 with 75k miles and it was suffering intermittent loss of power from the small turbo. It's been back to BMW 3 times having different bits changed but still the fault occurs.

(Descriptions taken from the BMW receipts)

1st Visit -
Fault logged with the "Charge air pressure control". Carried out test schedule found turbine flap con out of range and vacuum low.

Replaced both actuators for vacuum control plate
Replaced pipe from intercooler to inlet manifold.

As soon as I drove away the power loss was still present.

2nd Visit

Checked fault memory found fault with "By pass plate" Checked movement of rod, should move 17mm but only moves 5mm.

Part not in stock.

3rd Visit.
replaced change over valve plate.

Fault is still present.

I've got it booked in again in June. So we'll see if it's 4th time lucky!

2006 335d M Sport.
Recently Detailed
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

DMT335D sorry to hear about your experience i can imagine this being very frustrating.. i had a call with BMW UK today and im so glad i kicked off last week cause i was so in the right with the help of the guys on here.. how can hoses make a sudden lose of power when clearly there is no boost at all.. Anyway 30min call to BMW uk they now chasing this with BMW vines in gatwick so hopefully they will cover it all including the hoses under warranty as this is a clear case of it being miss diagnosed. I took my hoses to independent mechanic that i know and he said that the cotton braid on the hoses has perished this wouldnt cause any loss of boost. So i mention this to BMW now they started to get bit worried as they know that they are in the wrong..i done my research and thanks to everyone on here i am hoping i get it all back..

DMT335d hope all works out for you if you.. do you have extended warranty on your car?

Guys is there anyway of making this as official complaint to BMW that this is common problem in the 335d and 535d cause they fob ppl of by saying its the age of the car etc when clearly its a manufacturing fault seeing as this has happened to car newer than mind and with less millage be good to hear everyone's view maybe save people forking out money.

Neetin
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
dmt335d
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Yes I'm on the extended warranty, I've paid my £100 excess the once and each time it's been back in I've not paid anything.

Last time they called to say the car was ready I specifically asked whether it had been test driven. The response was "all the quality control checks have been done"

I'm just going to keep taking it back until its sorted. I did wonder whether a call to BMW would speed things up?

To be honest I just want it sorted. Mpg is not good, I'm having to floor it till the big turbo kicks, in order to overtake. It's like driving an old school turbo rs or something.

2006 335d M Sport.
Recently Detailed
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #28
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

DMT335d you got exactly the same problem i had on my car.. Call 0800325600 speak to a customer service rep called Amy she the one doing my claim at the moment.. if not then speak to samantha whiteham she like one of the big managers at BMW UK. Just explain the situation they ask the name of the dealer. If they fob you off with the story about hoses and that your car is old tell them its not the case as my car is younger than yours and car got same problem. Plus cars younger thank mine have had the same problem so just be prepared not to take there BS. Let me know if you need more advise please PM me happy to speak to you directly.

NM7
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Now, the kind of help and advice coming out here really gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I have bought into the right car and found the right crowd...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

briers which dealer did you take your car to? also did you have extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #31
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

right guys quick update.. got car back wasnt feeling as it should then the cruise control malfunction soon as i started to drive the car so didn't have the car back for less than 24 hours and things going wrong.

Anyway from my chat with the service advisor on friday he mention that the pressure converters and other parts needed changing which will be done under warranty however the service manager called me they said that no pressure converters or sensor have been replaced only the glow plug control unit which was covered under the warranty and that i still have to pay for the hoses. Clearly on the phone he mention all mechanical parts had to be changed therefore they had to ordered these additional parts and car would be ready on Friday.. So i have asked for the recording. I think they trying to pull a fast one on me not happy having to fork out £528 for all this hassle.. Really hacking me off all this is i will be making a complaint to bmw UK
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
dmt335d
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Oh dear, at least that issue should be a warranty item!

Mine is booked in again on the 11th June for a couple of days for them to diagnose and hopefully fix the lack of power problem. They've not mentioned the hoses yet.

My "loss of power" was initially intermittent but now permanent which sounds as though it could be the hoses. I guess with mine being 6 years old, they could have perished. I certainly don't want to be paying to replace them.

Good luck!

2006 335d M Sport.
Recently Detailed
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

seeing as they changed your pressure converters they should have done the hoses as well now they having to double up on the work as they will have to take the manifold off again least you got the pressure converters changed if they done mine i wouldnt have this bill to fork out but complain letters are on the way its a bloody design fault with the hoses they sit next to the turbo which heat up this would cause an issue hence the reason that this is going straight to bmw UK get them to explain why this is not covered as it a common problem with the car.

hope yours gets resolved mate!! what dealer did you take yours to?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleach View Post
Pressure convertors/actuators same thing
Nope, they are different. The pressure controller controls the amount of vacuum sent to the actuator. The actuator is the mechanical link that pulls/ pushes the wastegate/flap via the amount of vacuum supplied by the pressure controller.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #35
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys for all your help with this. Apologies for the delay cars all done letter sent to BMW for all the crap they given me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #36
dmt335d
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Well mine is back. And it appears to be all fixed . The report notes that there was a broken t-piece connecting the vacuum hoses.
The service advisor said it may have happened during the last repair so no excess would be charged.
So I've had lots if bits replaced during my 4 visits to the dealer but it looks as though we're sorted and all for £100. Thanks warranty!
I did have a nice x3 3.0d to drive around too which I have to say was a nice bit of kit. I always thought they were a bit of a women's car but I'd me more than happy to own one!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #37
JP-76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Joined the club.

For backrounds, i have had some accational loss of power and its not on low revs or high revs, its the whole rev range, and sometimes the car goes like bat out of hell? No SES-light, no fault codes, nothing to point me in the right direction So went and bought some vacuum hose and ordered 2 pressure converters from dealer.

Today I got everything back together and i have some mixed feelings about how the car is behaving. First of all, its working, but i cant really say if theres any improvement to how it used to be. I still have some turbo lag (1sec or so) and actually it feels a bit slower than what it has been in its very best... Maybe its because i had battery necative disconnected for 2 days and everything is resetted to defaults?

If the accational fault comes back, i dont know what to change next... Its nice to spend $$$ for nothing

Last edited by JP-76; 06-15-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #38
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

JP - did you have the codes read on the car before you replaced an parts?
IMO if the pressure converters are gone then it will show up a code for them, loss of boost can be due to a number of things not necessirly the pressure converters
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #39
JP-76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
JP - did you have the codes read on the car before you replaced an parts?
IMO if the pressure converters are gone then it will show up a code for them, loss of boost can be due to a number of things not necessirly the pressure converters
Yes, codes were read before anything was done and also after, after proper testdrive (about 150 km). Also last night i tested the actuators with DIS and everything seems to work fine.

I did notice lots of oil residue on the intake-side of the intercooler where the intake-chargepipe connects to the cooler and also on the other end of the chargepipe which connects to the throttlevalve. So i presume there is some state of boostleak, but i dont no how much that really effects the chargepressure...

Red chargepipe is already changed because the seals were leaking and later on the crankcase breatherhose and valve (and rubberhose tightened with clamps) because there was some oil leaking to the top of the red pipe. That seems to be okay at the moment, no more oil on the red hose (so far).

I will have some pictures from the leaking chargepipe and i can attach them here later (im on my pad right now).

Edit: picture of the intakeside of the cooler.
Attached Images

Last edited by JP-76; 06-17-2013 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #40
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Please check the turbo changeover actuator , this part cannot be seen from the top of the engine , the car must be on some ramps and the only way to test it is to use a manual method. The actuator must move move about 1inch and then return. These actuators do not have any feedback on them so they will not throw a code.

This flap on the inside of the pipe gets jammed and causes loss of power with no apparent problems.

Last edited by 335DEE; 06-17-2013 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #41
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

This part if faulty cannot be repaired , and is VERY expensive + is a BMW part only.

I have an idie friend who has changed 3 of these in the last 6 months + my own has been replaced due to siezing up
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #42
JP-76
Private First Class
Rep

I tested this changeover actuator aswell with DIS yesterday and even though i didnt see the actuator arm moving (from above of engine), i could hear from the engine sound that it did something (engine sound gets deeper like its choking or something when the changeoverflap is activated). So i think that its not atleast fully stuck, but to be sure i have to check the movement again from the actuator itself.
      07-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #43
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetin View Post
DMT335d you got exactly the same problem i had on my car.. Call 0800325600 speak to a customer service rep called Amy she the one doing my claim at the moment.. if not then speak to samantha whiteham she like one of the big managers at BMW UK. Just explain the situation they ask the name of the dealer. If they fob you off with the story about hoses and that your car is old tell them its not the case as my car is younger than yours and car got same problem. Plus cars younger thank mine have had the same problem so just be prepared not to take there BS. Let me know if you need more advise please PM me happy to speak to you directly.

NM7
Thanks for the info, I am in London and have similar problems. Think I will contact the Croydon Branch then.. Just posted a thread regarding this and then found this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #44
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
Please check the turbo changeover actuator , this part cannot be seen from the top of the engine , the car must be on some ramps and the only way to test it is to use a manual method. The actuator must move move about 1inch and then return. These actuators do not have any feedback on them so they will not throw a code.

This flap on the inside of the pipe gets jammed and causes loss of power with no apparent problems.

what is the oem part number for this? i thought changeover actuator and pressure converter is the same thing as i read elswhere. i have a problem with boost and no error code...
Appreciate 0