E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Base stereo to HiFi recoding success?

07-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
avx
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 330i, stock

Base stereo to HiFi recoding success?

Hi guys,

I have successfully coded a few options as Digital Speed, and Tv in motion, on my 2006 CCC (no navi), but with TV option, so I am grateful to all of you, for that

Now, I am trying to recode the audio from stereo to hifi. I added $676 to the CAS, but I haven't seen any change in the rest of the modules (CAPPL, CAUDI, CGATE).

I also tried to replace e90_stereo with e90_hifi in various places, and the coding has been always successful.

My question is: how can I tell that I really did it, as I am unable to notice any sound difference (I still have the base system installed, no changes, yet).

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this forum.
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      07-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I have seen in other threads here

I have seen in other threads here on the same topic . That if you
press some buttons on the head unit it displays in text what its programmed to. It might have been in the stereo section in one of taibanl posts.
If you were successful the volume should have dropped a lot as they are now
low voltage flat signals.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
avx
Rep

Thanks...

so I guess I should burn a cd with a constant signal and play it, then code/recode and try to detect a change in the volume?

How about using a voltmeter, can someone guide me on that? Where and how to meter?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by avx View Post
Hi guys,

I have successfully coded a few options as Digital Speed, and Tv in motion, on my 2006 CCC (no navi), but with TV option, so I am grateful to all of you, for that

Now, I am trying to recode the audio from stereo to hifi. I added $676 to the CAS, but I haven't seen any change in the rest of the modules (CAPPL, CAUDI, CGATE).

I also tried to replace e90_stereo with e90_hifi in various places, and the coding has been always successful.

My question is: how can I tell that I really did it, as I am unable to notice any sound difference (I still have the base system installed, no changes, yet).

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this forum.
The coding is simply not doing anything then... for the Stereo to HiFi coding to work then the outputs will change from high level to low level, and from the rear signal from high passed to full range.

You must notice the difference as it will be very obvious, especially the volume level of the front speakers/woofers being in parallel and with a low level signal driving them.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
avx
Rep

Thanks,

so I removed the $676 from VO from CAS, I recoded without the .MAN, so basically I restored it to stereo.

Then I re-added $676 to CAS and FRM (with FW_WRITE), and then recoded the CAPPL/CTUNE/CGATE/CAUDI with default.

The result was that the CAPPL/CAUDI now have _hifi all over the place, instead of _stereo.

So I am missing something... Maybe another option paired with $676?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Look at entry 59 in this thread .

Look at entry 59 in this thread .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=recode&page=3

Also the thread is pretty informative about this subject.

corrected error entry 59 not 39
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
avx
Rep

quiet gongs

Today I noticed that my gongs (seatbelt, door open) are very quiet, which makes me hope the coding was successful.

So I am going to measure the AC voltage either to rear speakers or to underseats, see what I get...

Just thinking out loud...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
avx
Rep

Success

After I measured both rear speakers and the underseats, I was happy to notice the maximum voltage was 5.0v.

So it was a successful recode
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by avx View Post
After I measured both rear speakers and the underseats, I was happy to notice the maximum voltage was 5.0v.

So it was a successful recode
Did you use voltmeter, put it in to DC mode, connected it to wires speakers and volume to max to see the results?
      07-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
avx
Rep

Yes,

just that I measured in AC mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avx
just that I measured in AC mode.
Sorry my bad. Surely AC.
Did you manage to check rears?
      07-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Bobf31
Rep
Drives: f31

Hi,

I am trying to do the same, added 676 to VO, FA write the CAS and FA write the NFRM (don't have the FRM).
But trying to write an empty man file to the CAUDI gives me an error job not found I believe.

I have a 12-2007 e91 with Navi pro.

any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobe91 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to do the same, added 676 to VO, FA write the CAS and FA write the NFRM (don't have the FRM).
But trying to write an empty man file to the CAUDI gives me an error job not found I believe.

I have a 12-2007 e91 with Navi pro.

any ideas?
discussed many time that empty file writing is not the best way.
Write those modules with expert mode, so they revert back to what they should be with new VO.
      07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Bobf31
Rep
Drives: f31

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, how about writing in expert mode.
Just read ecu and then sg codieren?
Without modifying the fsw_psw file or saving as man file first?

I found out the car needed to be shutdown for some minutes.
So after 10 min. I went in the car and found out gong, pdc but also sound pressure was much lower.
So programming to hifi worked but all was low level now, also the rear speakers I believe.

It will be nice to have rear in high level (high pass mode if possible) and have the front speakers flat high level outputs because my amp takes this signal at the moment but have the gong and perhaps pdc send low level signal because now it is to loud.

Any idea howto do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

what is tv option? care to share?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
avx
Rep

is having a CCC without navi, but with a TV Module installed, which allows you to ... watch analogue local TV stations, on the screen. Can also be coded to run during motion.

Is there anything specific you want to know about?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
avx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobe91 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the answer, how about writing in expert mode.
Just read ecu and then sg codieren?
Without modifying the fsw_psw file or saving as man file first?

I found out the car needed to be shutdown for some minutes.
So after 10 min. I went in the car and found out gong, pdc but also sound pressure was much lower.
So programming to hifi worked but all was low level now, also the rear speakers I believe.

It will be nice to have rear in high level (high pass mode if possible) and have the front speakers flat high level outputs because my amp takes this signal at the moment but have the gong and perhaps pdc send low level signal because now it is to loud.

Any idea howto do this.
So, basically you want high level signals without EQ. I don't know how you could do that without a processor, but I am not sure this is what you really want.

I don't have a lot of experience (more of a noob, myself), but I would search more for how other people managed to keep a low gong.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

I coded my 2007 E92 with CCC and the Alpine retrofit for hifi by adding $676 to FA in CAS and FRM then coding CHOST, CAPPL, CGATE, CAUDI and CTUNE in Expert Mode. You definitely get a boost to the midrange and I didn't run into any of the problems experienced by others regarding PDC and Bluetooth volume. However, three things to note:
  • If your kit was installed correctly, you'll need to change the switch under the amp from 2 to 1 to get the bass back after coding.
  • Again, if your kit was installed correctly (and you have the old kit with the two tweeter outputs on the crossovers), you'll need to take the door casings off and move the tweeters from the Pro branch to the Business branch to get rid of the 6dB attenuation.
  • There's no benefit to opening up the amp and moving the jumpers from HI to LO level input unless you've seperately amped the rears, as you'll completely lose them if you do - they're just too quiet.

Hope that's of use to someone!
      07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
jyrbba
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 -07

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblee View Post
I coded my 2007 E92 with CCC and the Alpine retrofit for hifi by adding $676 to FA in CAS and FRM then coding CHOST, CAPPL, CGATE, CAUDI and CTUNE in Expert Mode. You definitely get a boost to the midrange and I didn't run into any of the problems experienced by others regarding PDC and Bluetooth volume. However, three things to note:
  • If your kit was installed correctly, you'll need to change the switch under the amp from 2 to 1 to get the bass back after coding.
  • Again, if your kit was installed correctly (and you have the old kit with the two tweeter outputs on the crossovers), you'll need to take the door casings off and move the tweeters from the Pro branch to the Business branch to get rid of the 6dB attenuation.
  • There's no benefit to opening up the amp and moving the jumpers from HI to LO level input unless you've seperately amped the rears, as you'll completely lose them if you do - they're just too quiet.

Hope that's of use to someone!
Do you notice the 6db attenuation? Cause I have a very similar case to yours but seems like my tweeters make even too much sound already. I got CIC retrofitted and then after that Alpine retrofit kit, and it sounded like crap. Then just added $676 to cas and recoded CIC and thats it, nothing else needed. I couldnt get $676 stick to NFRM or FRM, don't know why. It just swiped it out rightaway. Anyways it changed it to stereo and I set the amp to position 1 and it sounds pretty good to me. Should I still change the tweeters to the business hookup?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyrbba View Post
Do you notice the 6db attenuation? Cause I have a very similar case to yours but seems like my tweeters make even too much sound already. I got CIC retrofitted and then after that Alpine retrofit kit, and it sounded like crap. Then just added $676 to cas and recoded CIC and thats it, nothing else needed. I couldnt get $676 stick to NFRM or FRM, don't know why. It just swiped it out rightaway. Anyways it changed it to stereo and I set the amp to position 1 and it sounds pretty good to me. Should I still change the tweeters to the business hookup?

Thanks.
I used to find the system very 'bright' before the coding - lots of treble and bass but not much midrange. After the coding, I found it much more balanced but it did definitely lose a little from the top end, which was resolved by switching the tweeters. I guess it could probably be overcome by just increasing the treble setting...
      10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
sniffer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hi All,

Thank you so much for this thread. I have been mucking around trying to code my car for a while. . . .I have now got there.

I installed a series of stereo upgrades some time ago, which you can see here under other threads. I have always been unhappy about the volume of the gong and some interference and I have just managed to code $676 to my E92 thanks in part to input on this thread.

I am very happy and at the weekend will now re-configure my Vibe Litebox amp to best use the new input levels.

These are not now line level inputs are they?

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Still Looking

Hi all,

I have a 06 e90 325i and just got Alpine retrofit installed by BMW.
The kit is good but its really boomy.

I have idrive with Business Nav and looking to code it to hifi. Is there any one that can provide any help on how I can do this or point me in the right direction. I am really new to the coding side.

Thanks
Appreciate 0