E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brakes service help

07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
dave1423
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe

Brakes service help

I went to the local BMW dealer because my car signaled that it needs the front brake pads replaced.

I was quoted
69.99 Standard Scope service ( i was told it resets the computer)
189.99 Brake fluid flush
and 495.00 for the front brake pads to be replaced.

Does this sound about right?? What is a fair price to pay for these services?
And last, can anyone recommend a shop? Im in San Jose, Ca

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
189 for a brake fluid flush?? Are they fully flushing the system? Because ive heard that some dealerships just suck out the brake dluid thats in the resorvoir and then top it off.
Id bring it to a trusted mechanic shop and have them do it for you for a much cheaper price.
      07-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
dave1423
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
189 for a brake fluid flush?? Are they fully flushing the system? Because ive heard that some dealerships just suck out the brake dluid thats in the resorvoir and then top it off.
Id bring it to a trusted mechanic shop and have them do it for you for a much cheaper price.
Im not sure...
I agree with you , thats why im hoping someone on here can point me towards a good shop out here.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No need to take the car to a dealer to have the brakes refurbished. Take it to an independent BMW mechanic. Brakes are about the simplest maintenance job to do.

The proper job should include:

New rotors (don't get them resurfaced because they will not last all the way through the second set of pads). A good brake job always starts with a fresh rotor face. Cutting the rotors down to resurface them removes material where the rotor may get too thin during the use with the second set (new set) of pads and may warp. So it is just better to get new rotors. The cost difference is minimal when compared to having the rotors resurfaced. It is the same amount of labor to remove/install the rotors to have them resurfaced. Two rotors should cost about $150.00

New brake pads

New sensor

Reset the computer (should be done for free)

The brake fluid should be flushed only if the CBS (computer) is calling for it. If the fluid was flushed recently, then there is no need to flush
it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

on top of all that said
there are better pads, rotors and fluids than oem in terms of performance & price/value. an independent shop will do the work with parts you take in but bmw won't.

having done all that a few thousand miles back i went with
ebc redstuff pads
zimmerman blank rotors
and used ate super blue fluid
      07-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
jstegman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
I just did my first fluid flush and pad change on my own 335i using these awesome how to videos. It really is as easy as it looks and will save you tons of money. Added bonus is you'll better understand your BMW and how it works!

http://blog.bavauto.com/9996/bmw-and...ush-diy-video/
http://blog.bavauto.com/10012/bmw-br...job-diy-video/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

TERRIBLY overpriced. You can get a mechanic friend to help with fluid flush. pads are very straightforward to replace. Almost like doing an oil change in difficulty.

To reset the indicator, replace the front pad sensor along with pads, and then:

1) While the upper display in your gauge cluster indicates temperature and time:
2) Hold your distance reset button until you get a triangle, followed by your service info
3) Let go of the distance reset button, and use the BC stalk to scroll up or down to whichever items need attention. In this case, you'll see your front brakes (and possibly brake fluid) in yellow or red, while everything else remains orange.
4) Hold the distance reset button until you see a box with a check in it, reading reset underneath.
5) Remove key, then reinsert to confirm service interval has been reset.

BAM go spend $69 in "General Scope fee" on yourself

For the visual learner, like me:

Resetting any service info:

Doing brake pads / sensor on front (same principles apply)

If you can do it yourself, you'll have a crap ton in saved money over that quote.

Last edited by DUI Elite; 07-18-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0