E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Jet Ski's, Where to start

06-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Well, a friend of mine from high school just got killed on a motor cycle last night so the whole motorcycle option is completely out the window.

As far as PWC goes, I see two options.

1) Used Yamaha GP1300R or equivalent.
Pros: much much much cheaper so not as big of an investment, spend money on gas and not having to work overtime to afford will allow me to enjoy myself haha, jk. Also, if in the unfortunate case I decide that this is not for me, my losses would most likely be minimal.
Cons: If abused, can be a money pit

2) New or 1 model year old Sea Doo RXT 260
Pros: New, warranty, power, looks, just about everything
Cons: expensive for a first time buyer. If in the unfortunate case I decide that this is not for me, my losses could be more than option 1 due to depreciation

My personal opinion is that once I get into this I'm going to be obsessed. I absolutely loved going for the first time a couple weeks ago and can't wait to get my hands on one of my own. Anyway, from those two options, depending on where my life is I will decide but if I could choose now, I would go with the RXT 260.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Well, a friend of mine from high school just got killed on a motor cycle last night so the whole motorcycle option is completely out the window.

As far as PWC goes, I see two options.

1) Used Yamaha GP1300R or equivalent.
Pros: much much much cheaper so not as big of an investment, spend money on gas and not having to work overtime to afford will allow me to enjoy myself haha, jk. Also, if in the unfortunate case I decide that this is not for me, my losses would most likely be minimal.
Cons: If abused, can be a money pit

2) New or 1 model year old Sea Doo RXT 260
Pros: New, warranty, power, looks, just about everything
Cons: expensive for a first time buyer. If in the unfortunate case I decide that this is not for me, my losses could be more than option 1 due to depreciation

My personal opinion is that once I get into this I'm going to be obsessed. I absolutely loved going for the first time a couple weeks ago and can't wait to get my hands on one of my own. Anyway, from those two options, depending on where my life is I will decide but if I could choose now, I would go with the RXT 260.
Man thats sad. The place where I bought mine from also sells motorcycles and the salesmen said his friend who he would never sell a motorcycle went out and bought one and was dead the next day. They are way too dangerous. Just remember to buy in September or October to save big bucks, get a bilge pump installed, and get the extended warranty.
      06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
njdan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Xdrive

I have owned a few PWC's, currently I own a 2012 Yamaha VXR all motor no super charger needed 1800+cc. Gets great fuel economy(reg unleaded) and will keep up with if not beat my friends Kawi Ultra 260 and he must run supreme fuel. People who say Yamaha is junk don't know anything about PWC's. If you look it up Yamaha has been dominating the 2013 National Race tour with the FZR and the VXR naturally aspirated division. Do your research before you buy anything. Here are a few site to start http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php
www.pwcforums.com
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

We have had a 2000 SeaDoo Gti and beat the hell out of it over those years on a small lake in northern MI.

Just do the yearly winterizing and change plugs and its never missed a beat.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedTIAG335 View Post
Jeff hit the nail on the head. My collection includes a Superjet, GP1300R and a FZR. I'll only ride Yamaha because they've been great machines to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdan View Post
I have owned a few PWC's, currently I own a 2012 Yamaha VXR all motor no super charger needed 1800+cc. Gets great fuel economy(reg unleaded) and will keep up with if not beat my friends Kawi Ultra 260 and he must run supreme fuel. People who say Yamaha is junk don't know anything about PWC's. If you look it up Yamaha has been dominating the 2013 National Race tour with the FZR and the VXR naturally aspirated division. Do your research before you buy anything. Here are a few site to start http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php
www.pwcforums.com
As the years progress and I talk to more and more people I see a lot more people recommending Yamaha. I'd honestly stick with any of the Japanese brands. Just like motorcylces and cars they seem to be little better in terms of reliability. Of course any make or model will have it's quirks at any time and everyone has story.

To the OP:

Take my recommendations on checking the compression, the propeller, the bottom of the hull and overall condition. If the ski is well kept and the paint appears to be in good nick and still has a gloss to it then likely the owner took care of it. I see a lot of neglected skis for sale where the paint is faded the seats are ripped and the foot grips are ripped. To me that is an indication of poor maintenance.

These are just some examples of trying to find the best used jet ski. Of course with buying anything used and especially a jet ski they come with a risk.

Good thing about the Yami's is there is a guy in long island for the east coast guys who rebuillds the engines for about $1000 (for the 1200 and 1300 CC 2 strokes). Comes with a 2 year warranty. You just gotta pull the motor out. (Actually isn't that hard even for a first time as long as you are remotely mechanically inclined).

Check out Green Hulk Forum and research the model year you are looking to buy.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 06-27-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Yamaha is where it's at. Only ski i'd every buy again. Bullet proof, best hull design, dependable, and holds it's value.
      06-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
njdan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Yamaha is where it's at. Only ski i'd every buy again. Bullet proof, best hull design, dependable, and holds it's value.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

yamaha yamaha yamaha.

had a seadoo for about 3 months, broke down every single time i took it out. a few times in situations where i got stuck in lightning storms. got rid of it picked up a VXR and touch wood been very reliable, and tops at 74mph....stock!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Works just like anything else would I guess. Some people live and die by their brand. Seems like sea doo's have all the bells and whistles but at the same time, more features means more opportunities to break : /
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
yamaha yamaha yamaha.

had a seadoo for about 3 months, broke down every single time i took it out. a few times in situations where i got stuck in lightning storms. got rid of it picked up a VXR and touch wood been very reliable, and tops at 74mph....stock!
No jet ski goes over 70 MPH Stock (US Coast Guard Regulated).

Even the RXP 260, FX Sho, FZR, and Ultra 300 tap out at 67-68 (GPS Verified)

You can verify this by using a GPS to measure speed. If you are using your stock speedometer to measure speed that is where you went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
MDamman003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

mine goes over 70 mph

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
I think it's simple... If you want all the latest gadgets and tech on your ski buy a sea-doo they are crazy cool! If you want a good reliable ski that won't break the bank look into a yamaha. I have an fx cruiser and fx sho. I love them both. Btw there are a ton of fanboys when it comes to jet skis as you can tell haha

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #35
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingobimmer View Post
I think it's simple... If you want all the latest gadgets and tech on your ski buy a sea-doo they are crazy cool! If you want a good reliable ski that won't break the bank look into a yamaha. I have an fx cruiser and fx sho. I love them both. Btw there are a ton of fanboys when it comes to jet skis as you can tell haha
I can tell! I'm aiming at getting myself set to buy something this winter. If I can swing a previous model brand ski with a good warranty then I'm going to go for an rxt 260 but if I decide to go brand new, I'm thinking the VXR is the way to go. In all honesty, I need to just go to a shop, check them out in person and see if I can go and ride them myself. Life is just to damn busy right now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDamman23011 View Post
mine goes over 70 mph
Do you have any problems using your car to tow? How much does the ski weigh?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Pickup a honda f12x turbo cheap. I just sold mine for 4 grand with 30 hours on it 07 model purchased new in 2011.

Not the fastest ski by any means (64mph) but its fast enough to scare anyone on the back.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
MDamman003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
I can tell! I'm aiming at getting myself set to buy something this winter. If I can swing a previous model brand ski with a good warranty then I'm going to go for an rxt 260 but if I decide to go brand new, I'm thinking the VXR is the way to go. In all honesty, I need to just go to a shop, check them out in person and see if I can go and ride them myself. Life is just to damn busy right now!!!

Do you have any problems using your car to tow? How much does the ski weigh?

its a stand up so it is light...about 330ish lbs...i dont even realize it is there to be honest...when i hit big bumps i can feel it a little bit but other than that it is great

only thing is when you reverse to load the ski, the reverse sensors go NUTS which gets kind of annoying haha

i do get some WEIRD looks from people though
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Pickup a honda f12x turbo cheap. I just sold mine for 4 grand with 30 hours on it 07 model purchased new in 2011.

Not the fastest ski by any means (64mph) but its fast enough to scare anyone on the back.
What happened to honda skis? Not many out there and they don't have any listed on their website. I have the impression that they dropped out of the market.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What happened to honda skis? Not many out there and they don't have any listed on their website. I have the impression that they dropped out of the market.
Stopped production. Sad becuase the new f15x was a bad ass ski.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingobimmer View Post
Problem is, I would mainly be riding in salt water. Isn't this a problem for yamaha? I know seadoo's have closed loop cooling which is ideal for salt water however wouldn't this pose a risk for yamaha ski's over time?

I understand maintenance is key however sh*t happens. Trying to minimize the sh*t happens scenarios as best I can lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Quote:
Problem is, I would mainly be riding in salt water. Isn't this a problem for yamaha? I know seadoo's have closed loop cooling which is ideal for salt water however wouldn't this pose a risk for yamaha ski's over time?

I understand maintenance is key however sh*t happens. Trying to minimize the sh*t happens scenarios as best I can lol.
Sorry I can't help you there I live around a ton of lakes and haven't even thought about taking them on the ocean. But I'm sure someone knows.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

It is a problem for any open loop system. Seadoo's have alot of issues with the sc clutches. Check out the greenhulk forums for some good advise.

I would personally stay away from all of them after all the money in repairs i have spent in the last 8 years. I recently sold all of my skis and joined a boat club for 200 a month. best money I have ever spent in my life. No cleaning no maintenance just pick my days online and fill it up with gas when i get back and im done.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #43
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
It is a problem for any open loop system. Seadoo's have alot of issues with the sc clutches. Check out the greenhulk forums for some good advise.

I would personally stay away from all of them after all the money in repairs i have spent in the last 8 years. I recently sold all of my skis and joined a boat club for 200 a month. best money I have ever spent in my life. No cleaning no maintenance just pick my days online and fill it up with gas when i get back and im done.
That seems like a pretty sweet deal. Renting seems like a pretty sweet deal but I would really like to bring the ski up to some lakes upstate along with my buddys cabin on some river in PA. I think it would be fun to road trip around and check out different areas and do different day trips.

The sc clutch problems along with sc problems in general seem to be on most of the pre 2011 models. For the past year or two there haven't been any consistant issues.

I've been lurking around greehulk for a while lol. Great site.

Also, I checked out the F15 Honda ski and that thing looked sick. Sucks that they stopped production. Honda usually makes good and reliable vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #44
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That seems like a pretty sweet deal. Renting seems like a pretty sweet deal but I would really like to bring the ski up to some lakes upstate along with my buddys cabin on some river in PA. I think it would be fun to road trip around and check out different areas and do different day trips.

The sc clutch problems along with sc problems in general seem to be on most of the pre 2011 models. For the past year or two there haven't been any consistant issues.

I've been lurking around greehulk for a while lol. Great site.

Also, I checked out the F15 Honda ski and that thing looked sick. Sucks that they stopped production. Honda usually makes good and reliable vehicles.

Yeah I was running 21 psi on my old f12x until the turbo blew 300hrs. What kills the honda is the salt water. Besides that it was one of the best ski's ive had along with the boring vx110 Yamaha .
Appreciate 0