E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Will MAF issues throw EGR fault codes?

02-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Will MAF issues throw EGR fault codes?

Did a scan of my 2008 320d E92 (N47) with Carly and there were plenty of faults thrown. Cleared them all and so far 4 have come back and won't clear, two of them are glow plug issues so no biggy for me at the moment, the other two are below;

004CAE - Low pressure exhaust gas recirculation actuator position sensor signal circuit or short to ground

004507 - Exhaust redirection control

Now I took my EGR out a few months ago to clean it but it's not like the old M47 where you can clean all the gunk out, it was simply the diaphragm with the spindle and valve vane. Cleaned what I could off the seats and spindle but couldn't really do much more.

Now I know my MAF is goosed so would these fault codes be thrown by a MAF fault? When I initially scanned my car had some faults that seemed to be MAF related but I've cleared them and they haven't returned?

I've tried googling the faults but it hasn't come up with much info that is of any use?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

When the ECU opens the EGR valve it expects a drop in MAF readings, as the engines drawing some exhaust gas instead of the fresh air.

So yes, if the MAF is faulty, the ECU might get grumpy if it doesnt see what should be happening.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Brilliant thanks for your help, need to find £300 for a new MAF now then, thankfully it isn't more for a new EGR as well
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Having said that, this fault code:

004CAE - Low pressure exhaust gas recirculation actuator position sensor signal circuit or short to ground

Is a circuit fault, meaning theres an electrical issue with the EGR position sensor.

Could be bad wiring or a bad sensor. I dont see how that could be related to the MAF
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #5
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Having said that, this fault code:

Is a circuit fault, meaning theres an electrical issue with the EGR position sensor.

Could be bad wiring or a bad sensor. I dont see how that could be related to the MAF
Hmm okay, I'm not getting a lot of information from google when searching for the codes..is there an EGR position sensor that can be replaced or is it an integral part of the EGR valve?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:59 AM   #6
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I will be replacing the MAF at the end of the month so I'll be able to see whether it makes any difference to what codes are thrown. I did a quick scan again yesterday and the '004507 - exhaust redirection control' had disappeared and a new one appeared;

00A6D1 - short to circuit positive or open circuit - additional water pump

There were no issues with the car when driving however a couple days ago I got an EML for one journey but this turned off after about 10 miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

A6D1 is the aux water pump for doing REST heat. I dont think it serves any other purpose. Mines broken as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #8
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
A6D1 is the aux water pump for doing REST heat. I dont think it serves any other purpose. Mines broken as well.
Ah okay that's not too much of an issue, strange how it's gone recently given I've used it a number of times in the past month, guess it hasnt been used at all throughout the cars life or something
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:44 AM   #9
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

So I can't get this fault code to clear on Carly

It's; 0040A4 - Low pressure exhaust gas recirculation actuator position, long term drift: Position deviation too high

I've replaced my EGR and although it has solved one issue my car was having, the fault code is still present

I replaced the vacuum line that goes from the vacuum controller to the EGR while I was there

One thing I'm a little confused about, what is meant by 'low pressure EGR'?

Anyone got any advice?

I've done a lot of googling and can't find anything on this fault code at all?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I presume this is an N47?

Theres presumably a position sensor inside the EGR valve?

Realoem also suggests theres some vacuum actuator and the valve itself?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
I presume this is an N47?

Theres presumably a position sensor inside the EGR valve?

Realoem also suggests theres some vacuum actuator and the valve itself?
That's correct N47, I replaced my EGR with a brand new one, no change with the code, was a genuine Pierburg one with the BMW logo ground out
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Theres more than one part though?

The big silver disk, then theres also the black vacuum actuator underneath. Maybe thats not right somehow?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Did you replace the MAF?

If not; id search eBay using the part numbers on the MAF itself. I bought one for my N57 for £30 and the Guy had loads.

Try reset the EGR adaptations in Rheingold. I had a deviation fault code as a result of cleaning my MAF which would never clear and resetting adaptations caused this.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #14
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach
Did you replace the MAF?

If not; id search eBay using the part numbers on the MAF itself. I bought one for my N57 for £30 and the Guy had loads.

Try reset the EGR adaptations in Rheingold. I had a deviation fault code as a result of cleaning my MAF which would never clear and resetting adaptations caused this.
I didn't end up changing the MAF, the issue when driving the car has gone since replacing the EGR so not sure if the MAF was at fault at all?

I take it this Reihngold is like INPA or some software package? I would have no idea where to start if I'm honest!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #15
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-B93
Quote:
Did you replace the MAF?

I didn't end up changing the MAF, the issue when driving the car has gone since replacing the EGR so not sure if the MAF was at fault at all?

I take it this Reihngold is like INPA or some software package? I would have no idea where to start if I'm honest!
Cool.

So it's just clearing the fault code?

I'd try get this sorted ASAP as I left my MAF issue for 2,000 miles and I then got a 480a DPF partially blocked error. This was all due to a stored MAF code preventing regens.

Rheingold is BMW dealer software in the same vein as INPA but much more modern and much more powerful. If you have a D-CAN cable it's really easy to setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you replace the MAF?

Cool.

I'd try get this sorted ASAP as I left my MAF issue for 2,000 miles and I then got a 480a DPF partially blocked error. This was all due to a stored MAF code preventing regens.

Rheingold is BMW dealer software in the same vein as INPA but much more modern and much more powerful. If you have a D-CAN cable it's really easy to setup.
I recently bought a cable and software from eBay but haven't tried it out yet due to having such a dated laptop but might give it a go on my Mrs laptop soon

Is Rheingold free download software from online?

I do need to get this sorted really as I know my car isn't getting up to temperature properly either (got thermostat and water pump on order) which is probably holding back the regens as well
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:16 AM   #17
Len_Beach
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you replace the MAF?

Cool.

I recently bought a cable and software from eBay but haven't tried it out yet due to having such a dated laptop but might give it a go on my Mrs laptop soon

I do need to get this sorted really as I know my car isn't getting up to temperature properly either (got thermostat and water pump on order) which is probably holding back the regens as well
The software doesn't usually need a particularly powerful laptop so you're probably good to go.

It is worth getting sorted ASAP. I could feel my car felt sluggish before finding the DPF fault code. I was amazed that in just over 1 month of driving; the DPF partially blocked. I dread to think how bad it could have got.

It may be worth throwing in a bottle of Forte DPF cleaner to give the DPF a chance of passively regenerating.

Google rutracker Rheingold 3.47.10. That is a fully work version of the software. There are newer versions but they require an earlier version such as this to install.

To install; Google car technology 3.44 and firstly follow the instructions on here to install. Then use the instructions in the configuration manual that came with the download to finish it off.

It sounds complex but it's pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions step by step.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 01:39 AM   #18
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you replace the MAF?

Cool.

The software doesn't usually need a particularly powerful laptop so you're probably good to go.

It is worth getting sorted ASAP. I could feel my car felt sluggish before finding the DPF fault code. I was amazed that in just over 1 month of driving; the DPF partially blocked. I dread to think how bad it could have got.

It may be worth throwing in a bottle of Forte DPF cleaner to give the DPF a chance of passively regenerating.

Google rutracker Rheingold 3.47.10. That is a fully work version of the software. There are newer versions but they require an earlier version such as this to install.

To install; Google car technology 3.44 and firstly follow the instructions on here to install. Then use the instructions in the configuration manual that came with the download to finish it off.

It sounds complex but it's pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions step by step.

Good luck
Ideal thanks for your help

I'll get on to it tonight
Appreciate 0