E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > polish by hand

05-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
KyleY911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW 325i

polish by hand

is there any point? even though it won't remove swirl marks will it help a little bit? bring out the color a little bit more?

I don't really feel like making the investment in a porter cable would be worth it for me as i really don't have that kind of time....I just do the weekly quick wash and everyone once in a while wax and what not but i'm starting to notice some minor swirl marks......I have a TiAg so its impossible to see them unless under direct light at night time so it's not that big of a deal... any advice would be great thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleY911 View Post
is there any point?
i think you'll be surprised at the scratches you can remove by hand, all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into. and you should be able to remove any layer of stain, stubborn dirt that doesn't come off in a regular wash - this will make the paint 'pop' again.

the key is finding a good polish that can be used by hand (ask the forum sponsor) , you'll never generate the heat needed to break down a machine polish.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

if using hand, use circle motion or just back and forth motion? and microfibre pad or any of those foam pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

well youre going to need an applicator, thats for sure... ive been told back and forth motions opposed to circular. when I do the hood, i go bottom to top. I dont think a gentle circular motion would hurt, altho im guessing it would make for some more obvious swirling.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
npb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BS 335i

Quote:
is there any point?
NOPE
      05-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
npb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BS 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
well youre going to need an applicator, thats for sure...
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei View Post
if using hand, use circle motion or just back and forth motion?
that's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywire View Post
I dont think a gentle circular motion would hurt,

THATS WHAT SHE SAID
      05-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

LoL!

well done.

*applauds*
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

@ npb

Yeah, polishing by hand is basically pointless unless you're just doing spot polishing like you did a chip repair and wet sanded and are restoring the shine.

Hand polishing may get a little more shine out of the paint, but you're not really going to remove any swirls or scratches unless you do it for a week straight.

Get a Flex or PC, your arm will thank you.
      05-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
TRICKE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe, montego blue,

Garage List
2008 e92 335i coupe  [0.00]
2008 335i coupe  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Once you start using a machine you will never go back.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

by machine is the only way to go if you have serious issues with swirls and such. maybe if your swirls are very very light, scratchX may work. If you don't want to invest in a porter cable or any rotary polisher, perhaps you could go to a shop and have them detail your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
Yeah, polishing by hand is basically pointless
here's a thread on the e46 forum where the guy polished w/o a machine. using a machine would have yielded better results - not to mention been a lot easier - but his results are still pretty good.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=574920

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The problem is that that picture doesn't show what the before looked like. I'd be willing to bet it was pretty good. It's not a matter of who is better than who, it just isn't realistic. To polish an entire car, by hand, that actually had swirls in it, would take you literally a week and several arms.

A hand polish can shine up the paint a little if it's not already bad, but it's not going to be much use for actually getting out swirls and scratches.
      05-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haper View Post
here's a thread on the e46 forum where the guy polished w/o a machine. using a machine would have yielded better results - not to mention been a lot easier - but his results are still pretty good.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=574920

that guy's arm must be limp!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
A hand polish can shine up the paint a little if it's not already bad, but it's not going to be much use for actually getting out swirls and scratches.
i think we all agree that a machine buffer is the way to go, both from results to ease of use. but for folks that don't want to use a machine, you can get some improvements.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
BYAW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci, soon to drive 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by npb View Post
that's what she said

that's what she said

THATS WHAT SHE SAID
I lol so much from this. office crew checking in
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Reopropf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

I am NO expert for sure! but,...

I do wash, wax and hand detail all my cars. For my daughter and wifes car, it's just fine. Damn, if I didn't do it, they'd just go thru the car wash every once in awhile.

For me, I am 51yrs old; I have always done my cars by hand including those old volkswagons, my dads 2800cs coupe, the alfa & fiats, the subaruXT, the first 3series BMW, my jeeps, my X5 and now my X6.

I always use my cars as commuters, and wash weekly. I do AGREE that a professional with a skilled hand and an orbital would do a better job than me, but NOT once in my lifetime has anyone said to me my cars look shitty.

I do wonder NOW that what I am going to do, because you fanatics have me thinking that I cannot go down the road with ANY swirls or less than a prefect looking machine. Oh shit, what am I to do. One thing for sure is that I am going to keep some kind of spritz and a mf cloth in my car and try to be vigilant to the vagaries that fall from the sky.

So thanks guys, for getting me up to snuff!

Peter
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #17
haper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reopropf View Post
because you fanatics have me thinking that I cannot go down the road with ANY swirls or less than a prefect looking machine.
i too did all my cars w/ 'elbow grease' and i agree that the swirls i didn't get weren't a big deal. but i went to the flex mostly for ease of use as i hated the rubbing, buffing, spreading, etc. and while i did notice the machine buffer removed more swirls then my 'elbow' could, it also got more of the dirt - my paint 'popped' more then ever.

so for me, i like a machine buffer for ease of use and getting the paint to pop more so then the swirl removal - although that is a very close third on my list.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
cyba
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: beast

this link might help

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...oval-hand.html
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
KyleY911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW 325i

is Meguiars scratch X really considered a polish? i mean i thought its just a temporary filler of swirl marks?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #20
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
is Meguiars scratch X really considered a polish? i mean i thought its just a temporary filler of swirl marks?
yes it is a polish. only light swirls though. very light
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

So whats a good "hand polish" for not so bad paint and light scratches...i was reading detailed image and picked meguiars 205, but doesnt comment if it is a good "hand polish"
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #22
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Hand Polishing

Will require patience and a lot of ‘elbow grease’ but in some circumstances adequate results can be obtained

Hand polishing is necessary around door handles, especially those that are recessed, around badges and emblems and around trim and panel edges, once masking tape has been removed and water drainage channel in trunk and hood.

The application of detailing products with a random orbital has the advantage of ensuring an even consistent pressure and contact speed, mimicking free hand motion but at a far greater pace and a greatly reduced physical effort. By allowing the weight and the random motion of the machine do the work, thus ensuring that the product is applied in a thin even layer, and will allow products to get embedded deeper into the paint film surface's porosity.

As a caveat I would say that very little correction can be accomplished by hand polishing, this is especially true with dense (hard) clear coat finishes like CeramiClear. If you are going to polish a large area by hand use a non-diminishing polish as they only require pressure, whereas diminishing abrasives require both kinetic energy (friction) and consistent pressure, which hand polishing cannot maintain over a long period of time.

Plus you’re going to feel numb for a week if you try and polish an entire car by hand. What can be accomplished however is with the use of an abrasive all-in-one type product to remove defects such as surface water spots, oxidation, etc.

Autoglym's Super Resin Polish (especially suited to older ‘soft’ paint); a polish, glaze, and a synthetic wax in one easy to use, gentle formula, for the removal of oxidation and light surface marks, and it will also 'fill' in some of the deeper marks, creating a visually stunning appearance.

I don’t vilify products that contain fillers; especially in a situation where you have thin paint and when working by hand, they can be a great assistance to improving the look of the finish

Z-PC™ Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover- a finishing polish that safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax build-up and other blemishes with fused tri-particulate, diminishing abrasive system

G|Techniq® P1 Nanocomposite Polish - for normal paintwork correction P1 produces great finishes both by machine and by hand. For best and fastest results removes scratches and swirls safely and quickly without leaving holograms.

You might think that because most hand polishes contain a high percentage of fillers, P1 would be an also-ran if used by hand. In fact the opposite is true. Even we didn't expect P1 to be a strong performer when used by hand but when we tested it against products widely regarded as the best hand polishes. Furthermore because P1 doesn't use fillers your new finish that also used a lot of elbow grease won't deteriorate. However for fastest and for best results we recommend a machine polisher

Iz Einszett Paint Polish- will bring the dullest finishes back to life with a lack of effort that will surprise you.

Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0- for isolated scratch and scuff removal, this new formula has been specifically developed for hand application to quickly remove isolated scratches, fingernail marks, paint transfer and parking lot scuffs. Unique micro-abrasives correct these defects fast

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound don’t be put off by the name compound, this polish offers sufficient abrasiveness for hand application and finishes down well.

Product application: use a soft foam applicator and work a small section (18 x 18 –inch) working the product into paint. This will provide the paint with a deep high gloss

CCS Euro Foam Polish Applicators - are available in three grades; White is for general polishing, Orange - used to remove light to moderate swirls, Red - designed specifically for the application of waxes, sealants, and glazes and has no cut or cleaning ability.

These foam pads allow you to match polishes to the appropriate foam variety, just as you’d do if you were applying the products with a polisher. Now you can get better results by hand because the applicator is enhancing the performance of the product.

See also-

"Hand Polishing Paint" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1459982

"Detailing 101; Introduction to Detailing" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451986
Appreciate 0