E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Noob with a cable wants to register an Autozone battery

08-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Noob with a cable wants to register an Autozone battery

Installing a new battery (duralast group 48, supposedly a 72ah).

I have installed all the software that came with my cable on my old xp laptop and I have the clear K+DCAN (INPA Compatible).

I also have the bmw logger software on my win7 64bit laptop

I haven't tried either while connected to my car but what path should I take?

Since I'm not using a OEM battery, I guess I can't use the bmwlogger since it only registers a new battery and doesn't change the type or rating?
      08-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

If you searched "register battery" in this subforum you would have found the answer without making a new thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532315

Please search. Most everything has been posted about already with troubleshooting.

Cheers and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Grant, I appreciate your response, and I did search, and have read many threads including the one you linked.
As I mentioned I've never connected the cable to the car, and although someone with experience would have no trouble following the thread you linked, most of it is greek to me.

I guess what you are implying as an answer the question I posted above is to not use the bmwlogger sofware and instead use inpa?
      08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post
Grant, I appreciate your response, and I did search, and have read many threads including the one you linked.
As I mentioned I've never connected the cable to the car, and although someone with experience would have no trouble following the thread you linked, most of it is greek to me.

I guess what you are implying as an answer the question I posted above is to not use the bmwlogger sofware and instead use inpa?
you first need to be able to code your car, learn how to do it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

once you can do that, you need to read your CAS module with NCS expert, if the KLASSE_BATTERIE is set to 70ah, then you are good, if not change it to 70ah, there isn't a setting for 72ah so 70ah should be close enough.

once this is done do the following:

In that case you open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
1. Open MSD80.prg
2. Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

(May alternatively be under MSV70 or MSV80.prg)

that should do it.

Also, use the old windows xp laptop, you cannot code your car with win 7 64 bit unless you are running a 32 bit virtual machine running windows xp in it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
smooth1
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I think BMWLogger may be too "new" to be thrown around just yet, but it will work just fine if your module is already coded for the 70ah battery. If you replaced your battery with a new battery that has a different ah rating you should recode your module for the new rating first, as mentioned above, before resetting IBS for the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbmw View Post
you first need to be able to code your car, learn how to do it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

once you can do that, you need to read your CAS module with NCS expert, if the KLASSE_BATTERIE is set to 70ah, then you are good, if not change it to 70ah, there isn't a setting for 72ah so 70ah should be close enough.

once this is done do the following:

In that case you open up Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
1. Open MSD80.prg
2. Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
3. Go to Jobs menu
4. Select Run Job

(May alternatively be under MSV70 or MSV80.prg)

that should do it.

Also, use the old windows xp laptop, you cannot code your car with win 7 64 bit unless you are running a 32 bit virtual machine running windows xp in it
Thanks Mich, very helpful
I've followed the coding post, made sure everything is communicating and it is, made a backup of my car and now I'm ready to code the battery.

When I read the CAS I see the battery is currently set at "90ah_AGM" (the battery that I just took out was a white bmw battery, NOT and AGM)

The battery I am putting in is also a standard battery- the Autozone Duralast 49-DL

What should I change the setting to for a standard battery of 70ah? Just "70ah" without the _AGM?

Is there a spot to change the cold cranking amps? I am going from 720 to 850 CCA

Thanks
      08-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

that is not the correct way of doing it, you should changethe vo of the car for the new aH. A bit more complicated now seeing as your battery is not a match for the original.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
that is not the correct way of doing it, you should changethe vo of the car for the new aH. A bit more complicated now seeing as your battery is not a match for the original.
Well dang, thought I had a handle on it. I did re-code the KLASSE_BATTERIE to "70ah" and execute the job.

Now when I read my CAS module, the setting shows "70ah" and I didn't get any errors.

Then I followed the directions above and ran Toolset 32 (mine was listed as Tools32.exe)

Opened the MSD80.prg

found "steuern_batterietausch_registri

when to the "jobs" menu at the top BUT I didn't have "run job" as per the instructions. Google translate came up with something like "execute job once" for f5 so that I what I used and it ran without and error

So what you are saying is that there is another setting I need to change? Is this using NCSexpert and if so what module and setting?

Thanks!
      08-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Well dang, thought I had a handle on it. I did re-code the KLASSE_BATTERIE to "70ah" and execute the job.

Now when I read my CAS module, the setting shows "70ah" and I didn't get any errors.

Then I followed the directions above and ran Toolset 32 (mine was listed as Tools32.exe)

Opened the MSD80.prg

found "steuern_batterietausch_registri

when to the "jobs" menu at the top BUT I didn't have "run job" as per the instructions. Google translate came up with something like "execute job once" for f5 so that I what I used and it ran without and error

So what you are saying is that there is another setting I need to change? Is this using NCSexpert and if so what module and setting?

Thanks!
You need to code CAS with the option *and* change your VO/FA to match.

I just posted about this last week in one of the many battery threads which are all running at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
You need to code CAS with the option *and* change your VO/FA to match.

I just posted about this last week in one of the many battery threads which are all running at the same time.
Considering your post about how to change the VO was not in the coding forum (which I searched) but was in amongst the 17 pages of "battery" threads, you'll have to excuse me for not finding it until you mentioned it.

Even afer reading the "outrageous battery" thread (and many more) I see that the battery VO code has been listed in the format of:

"B B090" as in this post: http://forums.5series.net/topic/1149...st__p__1359178

"$B090" as in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...77&postcount=6

"+B090" as in this post http://forums.5series.net/topic/1254...st__p__1462143

and "-B090" from your post here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=29

Sorry, but that was confusing for me, and may explain why there so many battery threads- there is no one thread that explains it simply enough for a shadetree mechanic like myself.

I used "-B070" for my 70ah wet cell when I coded my car (which had an existing code of "A090") but please Surly, don't tell me if I did it correctly I will continue to , and find my own answer.
      08-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Considering your post about how to change the VO was not in the coding forum (which I searched) but was in amongst the 17 pages of "battery" threads, you'll have to excuse me for not finding it until you mentioned it.

Even afer reading the "outrageous battery" thread (and many more) I see that the battery VO code has been listed in the format of:

"B B090" as in this post: http://forums.5series.net/topic/1149...st__p__1359178

"$B090" as in this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...77&postcount=6

"+B090" as in this post http://forums.5series.net/topic/1254...st__p__1462143

and "-B090" from your post here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=29

Sorry, but that was confusing for me, and may explain why there so many battery threads- there is no one thread that explains it simply enough for a shadetree mechanic like myself.

I used "-B070" for my 70ah wet cell when I coded my car (which had an existing code of "A090") but please Surly, don't tell me if I did it correctly I will continue to , and find my own answer.
Sorry, Cadman, I was not trying to be a douche by my comment. I had limited time and everything you needed was posted in another post authoured by me. I didn't have time to link you to it but I was hoping you'd find it if you knew it was out there.

I feel your pain on the variation in information you find online which should be very specific.

I'm nowhere near my car or coding stuff, but the "-B070" is what I recall you would need. The "-Axxx" codes are AGM, the "-Bxxx" codes are flooded wet cell.

You need to remove all battery options but the correct one and push the VO/FA to CAS and (N)FRM IIRC. Then you need to change the CAS coding to the proper string (KLASSE_BATTERIE to "70ah") like you already have. Then you'll need to re-register the battery. I used INPA but it looks like there's about a half dozen ways to trigger a re-register.

Then if you use INPA and go into the IBS screens and display the second bank of info (it's F2 in my INPA) you should see the odometer reading for the "first battery change" matching (or close to) your current odo reading. You should also see the charging plan as 70.0 (changed from the 91.0 you would have had before).

Unfortunately my INPA is almost all German right now (something I'm working towards improving) so I don't know any of the exact wording you'd be looking for. My F-key shortcuts could also be different than yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^A fully translated, working, INPA would greatly benefit the community.
Hard to help when I can't remember what the button I click is called since I do it from memory.

Good post Surly
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Sorry, Cadman, I was not trying to be a douche by my comment. I had limited time and everything you needed was posted in another post authoured by me. I didn't have time to link you to it but I was hoping you'd find it if you knew it was out there.

I feel your pain on the variation in information you find online which should be very specific.

I'm nowhere near my car or coding stuff, but the "-B070" is what I recall you would need. The "-Axxx" codes are AGM, the "-Bxxx" codes are flooded wet cell.

You need to remove all battery options but the correct one and push the VO/FA to CAS and (N)FRM IIRC. Then you need to change the CAS coding to the proper string (KLASSE_BATTERIE to "70ah") like you already have. Then you'll need to re-register the battery. I used INPA but it looks like there's about a half dozen ways to trigger a re-register.

Then if you use INPA and go into the IBS screens and display the second bank of info (it's F2 in my INPA) you should see the odometer reading for the "first battery change" matching (or close to) your current odo reading. You should also see the charging plan as 70.0 (changed from the 91.0 you would have had before).

Unfortunately my INPA is almost all German right now (something I'm working towards improving) so I don't know any of the exact wording you'd be looking for. My F-key shortcuts could also be different than yours.
No, I'm sorry because I was clearly trying to be a bit of a smart a$$. I'm just frustrated at having my car sit for 4 days while I try to be sure I have the charging system in working order, and as you say there is hardly a set of definitive instructions when it comes to a lot of this coding.

Thank goodness for my trusty e36 (which manages to continue running without coding!)

I do appreciate the help and the info you share with the communtiy.

I reset the battery with Tools32, but I guess I need to re-reset it since I have changed the info in the VO after the first reset.

If anyone doesn't have it, this is the DIY I used to change my VO: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37722965/BM...O%20Change.pdf

Only problem I had is that on page 21 of the DIY I do not have LMA as an option when choosing ECU (on my 2006 330i)

I'll see what INPA has to say.
      08-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I reset the battery with Tools32, but I guess I need to re-reset it since I have changed the info in the VO after the first reset.
This I would NOT do. I'm not expert in these matters, but it looks likes the IBS will log the odometer readings of up to 4 battery replacements. You'd be burning one of these if you reset it now just because you pushed the VO/FA.

I am HOPEFUL that the car systems calculate the miles-on-battery from the "last reset" compared to the odo and then always operates within the parameters set by the VO/FA and CAS coding.
Appreciate 0