E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How does tuning software work?

03-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
CoolHandLuke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

How does tuning software work?

Does anyone know exactly how tuning software works? I'm familiar with IT but mostly from a networking perspective so I mostly deal with the flow of traffic and layers 1-3 as opposed to the application layer. I have some knowledge

I am just curious because I'm always trying to expand my IT knowledge and being about to combine with cars kinda gives me a chub

My question more pertains to the software and how they develop it but more how are they able to tune and adjust based on logs and things like that.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

A remap basically makes several small changes to a range of values used by the vehicles ECU e.g. Torque limits etc etc.

There are many many maps that can be changed in the ECU, be prepared to do a lot of reading!

I suggest head over to ecu connections forum. It's a good forum where you can test people's maps and upload your own for people's opinions.

Bare in mind new EDC17 Tri-core ECU's are protected from ODB access. To map these ECU's you have to remove the module and unlock the EEPROM directly usin a chip programmer.

If you have an older car to test and some time, it can be good fun. I did a couple of maps for e90 320d and saw good gains. Haven't done one for a couple of years though!
Appreciate 0