E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iCloud and iDrive?

12-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
kevinsf1
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe (E92)

iCloud and iDrive?

Hi,

I just forked over the $25 for my iCloud subscription so all of my music library is available in the cloud.

To my dismay however, it turns out my CCC Idrive system in my 08 E92 doesn't read the iCloud music; just what's locally stored on my iPhone's HDD.

That said, are there any tricks here that I am missing?

Does a CIC Idrive system better integration with iCloud?

Let me know what you guys are seeing,

-Kevin
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
dnadeau13
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego Blue 335i Sedan

This problem actually has nothing to do with your iDrive system. What you pay the $25 for is to be able to download any of your music at anytime from anywhere. It isn't a true streaming service. For iDrive to see those songs, you need to make your iPhone download them first.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadeau13 View Post
This problem actually has nothing to do with your iDrive system. What you pay the $25 for is to be able to download any of your music at anytime from anywhere. It isn't a true streaming service. For iDrive to see those songs, you need to make your iPhone download them first.
Not entirely true, as an iPhone lists the iCloud music in it's UI and downloads automatically as needed. But I'm not surprised it doesn't work. This is exactly the kind of thing the iPod Out functionality (only supported via the BMW app in the newer cars) is supposed to address. All the BMW iDrive interfaces are custom designed to interface with the iPod feature set at the time they're designed. As soon as Apple adds new features/menus/etc, iDrive is unlikely to support.

And we know BMW is not big on iDrive updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Aurich
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

I think I'm going to just stop bothering plugging my iPhone into the car and just replace it with an iPod Classic. The HDD on that is big enough to hold all of my music, and I can just pop it out every once in a while to plug into iTunes to update to the music.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Ironically that's my current setup.
80gb classic sitting there.
Was thinking about retrofitting it into the sunglass holder
Same setup here. Phone paired via BT, iPod classic with music in the armrest.

Although I'm confused why you'd move it to the sunglass holder if you can control it via the steering wheel. That little pouch in the armrest is great.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Same setup here. Phone paired via BT, iPod classic with music in the armrest.

Although I'm confused why you'd move it to the sunglass holder if you can control it via the steering wheel. That little pouch in the armrest is great.
That's how I have my 60gb video ipod. Used twist ties for USB cable. Wish it played video though
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsf1 View Post
Hi,

I just forked over the $25 for my iCloud subscription so all of my music library is available in the cloud.

To my dismay however, it turns out my CCC Idrive system in my 08 E92 doesn't read the iCloud music; just what's locally stored on my iPhone's HDD.

That said, are there any tricks here that I am missing?

Does a CIC Idrive system better integration with iCloud?

Let me know what you guys are seeing,

-Kevin

I don't think iCloud actually stores your music.

"When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase a storage upgrade right from your device."

It doesn't count against your storage because it's not storing the music itself, it's only storing the fact that you purchased this song and that song, so when you sign into or buy a new device that's iCloud enabled it will sync said items to that device, *NOT* stream them. You only need the over 5GB if your data [photos, documents] exceed 5GB.

iCloud isn't a streaming service, it's a storage service.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
iCloud isn't a streaming service, it's a storage service.
I don't know whether it is or is not like anything, but it really just sounds like it's how a proper electronic retail system should be. They guise it as a "FREE SERVICE"? BAH! They are basically saying "If you buy a song/content from use we will let you have it on your device (that you also bought from us) when you want it"

I hate micro payments and subscription fees. Great business model... for the business. All iCloud is meant to do is sell. IMO anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 335xi View Post
They guise it as a "FREE SERVICE"? BAH!
??? It is $24.99/year, nowhere have they said it was free. And yeah, it's a subscription service, but you aren't limited to storing songs purchased from iTunes in iCloud. I should know, since I've only purchased maybe five songs in my entire lifetime from iTunes, yet I have over 18k songs in my iCloud account.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Canadian 335xi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

ZOINKS!

I'm confused:
"When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. ..."

So when you pay for something you get something for free too?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
NewNole2001
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 335xi View Post
ZOINKS!

I'm confused:
"When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. ..."

So when you pay for something you get something for free too?
You're confused, really. Though those of us in this thread aren't helping you #mybad. iCloud is free. iTunes Match (which is what we've been talking about in this thread) is $24.99/yr.

iCloud is Apple's service for synchronizing data across all of your apple products. It does provide the ability for you to purchase a song or video on one device and have it automatically be available on your other devices, but that is a free service. As far as I know, there is not currently a way to add more storage to that 5 GB you get for synchronization.

iTunes Match is an extension, if you will, of iCloud that is for pay. It provides separate storage space for music you own. This storage space is not based on bytes, but on the number of music files. It allows you to store any music files you have on your computer (from whatever source, though they must be MP3 or AAC) to "the cloud." If the iTunes Match software can find an exact match in Apple's database of music, then they will replace your file with their file, thus saving on bandwidth costs during the uploading of your library. A lot of people have looked at it as a way to legitimize any music you may have gotten for sources with questionable legality.
Appreciate 0