E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Insane amount of white smoke coming from exhaust

04-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
RGP-N54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i e92

Insane amount of white smoke coming from exhaust

Hey everyone first time posting an actual forum post on here. I drive a BMW 335i e92 2009 automatic.
So, onto the problem. Whenever I'm driving no matter what type meaning either going 120 or going 50 with cruise control in the city, I always run into the problem that when I reach a stop or street light my car starts smoking directly from the exhaust. Large amounts of *white* smoke is coming from the exhaust. I have zero clue as to what it could be.
Yes, I have done research and tried finding answers but there was no one that had a similar situation to mine. The three main problems I found that everyone was saying was coolant, antifreeze, or the fact that it was cold outside.

I understand that when it's cold outside the car creates condensation but I live in South Florida so that's a huge doubt.
Antifreeze? I don't even know how to respond.. I don't really know how that could be coming out of my exhaust.
Finally, coolant, my cars runs at normal temperature (240 degrees F)

If anyone could give me some pointers or an idea of what it could be it would help.. My gas mileage is also very poor, but I guess that could pertain to my driving but I don't wanna completely disregard it.

I get 22-23 mpg highway going 70-80 and 14-16 city.

Thanks in advance!
Also, sorry if this isn't posted in the correct place.. couldn't find an e92 problems section.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP-N54 View Post
Hey everyone first time posting an actual forum post on here. I drive a BMW 335i e92 2009 automatic.
So, onto the problem. Whenever I'm driving no matter what type meaning either going 120 or going 50 with cruise control in the city, I always run into the problem that when I reach a stop or street light my car starts smoking directly from the exhaust. Large amounts of *white* smoke is coming from the exhaust. I have zero clue as to what it could be.
Yes, I have done research and tried finding answers but there was no one that had a similar situation to mine. The three main problems I found that everyone was saying was coolant, antifreeze, or the fact that it was cold outside.

I understand that when it's cold outside the car creates condensation but I live in South Florida so that's a huge doubt.
Antifreeze? I don't even know how to respond.. I don't really know how that could be coming out of my exhaust.
Finally, coolant, my cars runs at normal temperature (240 degrees F)

If anyone could give me some pointers or an idea of what it could be it would help.. My gas mileage is also very poor, but I guess that could pertain to my driving but I don't wanna completely disregard it.

I get 22-23 mpg highway going 70-80 and 14-16 city.

Thanks in advance!
Also, sorry if this isn't posted in the correct place.. couldn't find an e92 problems section.
mileage? is it thick white smoke, like lingering or more like steam/condensation

are you burning any oil? is your head gasket okay? have you checked coolant levels? any codes?

you're gonna have to give it a smell to find out of its oil or coolant. could also be a head gasket.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
mileage? is it thick white smoke, like lingering or more like steam/condensation

are you burning any oil? is your head gasket okay? have you checked coolant levels? any codes?

you're gonna have to give it a smell to find out of its oil or coolant. could also be a head gasket.
It's thick white smoke

Ill check those 3, I don't get any codes thrown, only 30FF but I replaced the vacuum lines and it went away.
Any specific smell you give to oil or coolant?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:

Also, I read that the smell of coolant smells sweet. I can assure that the smell is not pleasant or sweet in anyway, I drive with my windows down and sometimes the wind blows it into my cabin and it smells horrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also, I read that the smell of coolant smells sweet. I can assure that the smell is not pleasant or sweet in anyway, I drive with my windows down and sometimes the wind blows it into my cabin and it smells horrible.
And last thing, my oil levels are at max after 1000 miles after an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

I had the same issue among having long cranks, it was due to a bad HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
my guess will be head gasket.

for the oil smell. hard to explain. try finding a subaru or honda owner and have him redline it by you.

make sure that your coolant levels are also good.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:
my guess will be head gasket.

for the oil smell. hard to explain. try finding a subaru or honda owner and have him redline it by you.

make sure that your coolant levels are also good.
Another thing to note; I know I'm forgetting to mention a few things here and there.
Let me try to get everything in detail of how it happens and when it happens.

This only happens when the car is cold, never when it's hot. Basically whenever I start it up after letting it sit overnight the smoke comes out, and a few minutes after driving when I'm at a red light. It only happens when I get to a complete stop. Basically, when my car is at idle. My car is still hot so I can't check the coolant right now, but let's say the coolant is still at a good amount what then? I got the coolant replaced about 1 month ago.

Also, I was going around town abusing my car and everytime I hit a stop or a light no smoke would come out whatsoever. So, I'm pretty stumped at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
brads2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Wagon

Agreed could be head gasket, coolant burning=white exhaust. Antifreeze in vapor/steam form smells sweet but if your burning it I don't think it has the same aroma.

Possible that it is leaking in when the car is cold and as the car heats up the HG seals better. You might not notice it when moving as the car is pushing a lot more exhaust through diluting the smoke.

Not sure what fuel pump would have to do with white smoke but i hope thats whats going on.

Pull oil cap and look for foamy oil. Also look for oil floating on top of coolant.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
AZBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 FBO E90 N54 Cobb E30

I have the exact same problem. Only after first decel to a stop after start up. I have new injectors, VC Cover and gasket, new rv pcv and new Vent hose. I have 85K on the odometer and have been meticulous with maintenance. Also had intake walnut blasted. No foam on oil cap or oil in coolant. There have been numerous threads on this lately and I share this so people don't throw money and parts at this problem without a correct diagnosis first. Any other suggestion for OP or the others having the same issue? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Another thing to note; I know I'm forgetting to mention a few things here and there.
Let me try to get everything in detail of how it happens and when it happens.

This only happens when the car is cold, never when it's hot. Basically whenever I start it up after letting it sit overnight the smoke comes out, and a few minutes after driving when I'm at a red light. It only happens when I get to a complete stop. Basically, when my car is at idle. My car is still hot so I can't check the coolant right now, but let's say the coolant is still at a good amount what then? I got the coolant replaced about 1 month ago.

Also, I was going around town abusing my car and everytime I hit a stop or a light no smoke would come out whatsoever. So, I'm pretty stumped at the moment.
BMW's are known to consume coolant so low coolant isnt going to tell you much. you can open the reservoir when the engine is hot, its actually good for the system its just going to release pressure. however, you only get an accurate coolant reading when the vehicle is cold.

what mileage are you at again? I suspect your car is just burning alot of oil and is in rough shape because metal pistons expand when hot, filling the cylinders and thus slowing down oil consumption. you would need an engine rebuild (new piston rings and probably valve stems, then very carefully break it in with 3000 miles of city driving, no more then 3000rpm)

but I doubt this is worth it. if the rest of the car is in good shape and worth keeping, you might want to consider swapping a new motor in but check to make sure it cant be fixed first.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
BMW's are known to consume coolant so low coolant isnt going to tell you much. you can open the reservoir when the engine is hot, its actually good for the system its just going to release pressure. however, you only get an accurate coolant reading when the vehicle is cold.

what mileage are you at again? I suspect your car is just burning alot of oil and is in rough shape because metal pistons expand when hot, filling the cylinders and thus slowing down oil consumption. you would need an engine rebuild (new piston rings and probably valve stems, then very carefully break it in with 3000 miles of city driving, no more then 3000rpm)

but I doubt this is worth it. if the rest of the car is in good shape and worth keeping, you might want to consider swapping a new motor in but check to make sure it cant be fixed first.
Thanks for all the replies, really helps a ton and glad that there's an active community that I can fall back on lol.

Onto the actual problem though; my car has 66700 miles. I had the Carfax ran on it and the maintenance history was impeccable, very surprising honestly. So, if this car is in bad shape at not even 70000 with near perfect maintenance then I don't even know what to say anymore. Would be more disappointed than anything. I went over my friends house, grabbed some coolant and we took the time to look at the current coolant and the oil. I took off the oil cap and the oil was perfect, no foam and not "milky" as my friend would describe it. I took a picture of the coolant and I'll post it on here in a little bit. Obviously not the best coolant, but the car was not used for months prior to me buying it so it could be anything. I'm planning on flushing the coolant and putting in new one tomorrow morning. I'll post the picture in a few and update everyone hopefully by tomorrow afternoon. I'm praying it's not the head gasket because that being said I'm down 11 grand and have no car, or at least not one that's a ticking time bomb. Time will tell and all I can do is hope at the moment. Either engine rebuild or blown head gasket seem to be the two, and aren't really the best case scenario for me.
Once again, thanks for the help. Picture coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:

I apologize in advance if there's a rule that I'm not aware of pertaining to amount of replies you can do in a given day.

Update: Here's the picture of the coolant, I apologize it was dark and not really the best time to take it as well it being a poor photo. My plan tomorrow as stated is to replace the coolant and see how fast it burns through it, as well as in two days check on how the car's new coolant is looking.
Just hoping from now lol.
I'm not sure how the forum works with URL's but here it is; https://www.flickr.com/photos/148667...posted-public/

If that is blocked then my Flickr is Rafael Gabaldon and my most recently uploaded photo.

Last edited by RGP-N54; 04-08-2017 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Forgot link
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
ZeeVaughn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT SG/Coral

Quote:
Quote:

I apologize in advance if there's a rule that I'm not aware of pertaining to amount of replies you can do in a given day.

Update: Here's the picture of the coolant, I apologize it was dark and not really the best time to take it as well it being a poor photo. My plan tomorrow as stated is to replace the coolant and see how fast it burns through it, as well as in two days check on how the car's new coolant is looking.
Just hoping from now lol.
I'm not sure how the forum works with URL's but here it is; https://www.flickr.com/photos/148667...posted-public/

If that is blocked then my Flickr is Rafael Gabaldon and my most recently uploaded photo.
Change oil if you want to be double safe and if it looks like a chocolate milkshake when it drains
      04-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

BMWs are not known to consume coolant.

Releasing the pressure is not 'good' for the system. It's fine at pressure or not at pressure. Releasing at pressure can be dangerous, however.

You suspect he need an engine rebuild? Pistons expanding?

Someone is off their meds again...

OP - your turbos are cooled by coolant and oil. Most likely one of the seals in the turbo have gone and you are releasing/burning coolant there. Headgaskets in these cars are not common.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable with N54s will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #16
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post

Releasing the pressure is not 'good' for the system. It's fine at pressure or not at pressure. Releasing at pressure can be dangerous, however.

OP - your turbos are cooled by coolant and oil. Most likely one of the seals in the turbo have gone and you are releasing/burning coolant there. Headgaskets in these cars are not common.

You forget the N54 expert already did... You know the guy who owns an n52

Opening your coolant reservoir at temperature, rebuild the engine... How come he hasn't suggested to do a sec. cat delete to help all that smoke escape or some shit? ... There's your problem. Op please don't listen to that other guy... He'll end up killing you
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete

Last edited by BSM n54iS; 04-09-2017 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #17
RGP-N54
Private
Rep

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not guru, but every video I've seen in relation to my coolant specifically says not to open when the car isn't cooled down, so I didn't thankfully.

I'm glad someone came by who seems to be more realistic about things. That's what I had read somewhere, now that I think about it more. I'll look into the turbo seals.

And the other guy.. sorry, not really sure how to quote two people at once. I'm referencing the guy who mentioned replacing the secondary cats with I assume test pipes or just a straight pipe basically. I have VRSF downpipes sitting in the garage because I want to have all the large problems settled before I get into more power. Trying to get my wastegates covered under warranty, gonna see how I can fend in BMW Monday. After that, going to a shop that my friend recommended.
Rumor has it, according to him, they've finally hit four digits with the N54 platform.. we'll see how things actually end up.
Hopefully then I'll run downpipes and e40 mix, then I'll be getting some kills in. BTW, any place I can post kills? Raced a 370z stock and pulled at least a bus on her. I'm just MHD tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 01:28 AM   #18
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:

Seriously, can someone ban this poster, or at the very least make sure his/her posts are scrutinized and approved before anyone reads them and gawd forbid ends up trying to give their car a tailpipe coffee enema?

If you don't know what you're talking about, please keep your fingers off the keyboard before you cause irreparable harm to those poor souls uneducated enough to follow your advice.

OP, if you can't get your face up to the tailpipe and honestly tell whether it's coolant, oil, gas, or steam from cold weather, just ask a friend with more experience in that dept, or take it to a shop to get a proper diagnosis and resolution. Take note of that smell and remember it next time so you can help yourself or others.
BSM n54iS2684.50
      04-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #19
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:

This honestly sounds reasonable. The turbo seals that is.

Let me consult The Googles. brb
      04-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #20
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Consensus seems to be turbo seal(s) going, with a few dissenters pointing to valve seals (dsmtuners thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/sym...-rings.474639/).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=787884&page=3

The thing throwing me a bit is the white smoke--oil is usually blue-black. White is usually water/coolant.

EDIT: Though I suppose it could be leaky fuel injectors....they can puddle up fuel in the cylinder(s) while the engine is off.

Last edited by galahad05; 04-09-2017 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #21
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

OP: a quite easy test for leaky injectors-->open up your oil filler cap and do a sniff test. Do you smell gasoline?

If you don't, this is NOT definitive proof that you DON'T have leaky injectors (double negatives suck--I mean, you don't smell fuel, it could still be fuel injectors).

If you DO smell gas, likely leaky injector(s).
EDIT: I should, say, at this point (you suspect leaky injectors), you should start pulling plugs and looking at them and into the combustion chambers: look for, well, wet plug tips and/or wet piston tops. All of this after a long wait time (1-2 days with the car sitting there).

Last edited by galahad05; 04-09-2017 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #22
Just Plain John
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi N51

White smoke = water / coolant.
Blue smoke = oil.
If it's fuel, you'd smell it. Coolant smells sweet.
Appreciate 0