E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > STETT Performance Stage 2 Oil Cooler Kit w/ 180F Thermostat **EXTENSIVE REVIEW/DIY**

12-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I def. agree with that. I realize now that the thermostat is inside the outside cap but it would be pretty cool if someone made an aftermarket one too see what the differences would be with just the stock oil cooler. Do you think stett would sell the thermostat housing separately? If so theres a place around the corner that makes custom steel braided lines that can be any lengths with any time of fitting on either side. With custom lines make it could be possible to hook the stocker up to the stett housing.

OR

If stett or other vendors out there are looking for something to do, MAKE AN AFTERMARKET THERMOSTAT HOUSING THAT HOOKS UP TO THE STOCK OIL COOLER!!
I am not sure if STETT will or will not sell the thermostat seperately. Maybe someone can email them and ask?

The problem is you would still need the adapter plate, the oil lines to the thermostat, then find a way to get your oil lines to mate with the stock adapters. I think the cost would be about as high as this kit will cost. If you buy the kit, you trade in your stock oil cooler for a Setrab.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #46
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
great review and write up
Daya, thanks for the compliments and I am glad your enjoyed the read.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #47
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
I knew I had seen pics before of the OC t-stat...I had saved them on my computer from another thread either on this forum or on the other one. If you don't mind me posting them in your thread then here they are, otherwise I can remove them...save you some work anyway

For those asking, I would think you wouldn't want to completely delete the T-stat. For one thing it allows quicker oil warm-up, which is useful since the oil is working best when warm...and it could help build up oil pressure quicker when cold as well, since allowing oil through the oil cooler right away would mean a pressure drop for the system potentially.

Last edited by raceyBMW; 12-03-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #48
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I am not sure if STETT will or will not sell the thermostat seperately. Maybe someone can email them and ask?

The problem is you would still need the adapter plate, the oil lines to the thermostat, then find a way to get your oil lines to mate with the stock adapters. I think the cost would be about as high as this kit will cost. If you buy the kit, you trade in your stock oil cooler for a Setrab.
Yeah I meant like the whole adapter plate with the thermostat. And another upside is I'm good friends with the guy who owns a shop that makes custom lines. I can get a custom line made in any length that goes from any fitting to another as long as the hose doesn't have to change size. And I can get them at cost too.

Do you have the link where you can buy the kit? I don't see it on their site.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #49
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Yeah I meant like the whole adapter plate with the thermostat. And another upside is I'm good friends with the guy who owns a shop that makes custom lines. I can get a custom line made in any length that goes from any fitting to another as long as the hose doesn't have to change size. And I can get them at cost too.

Do you have the link where you can buy the kit? I don't see it on their site.
I am not sure if the link is up on their website yet. I think STETT may organize a group buy on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #50
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I am not sure if the link is up on their website yet. I think STETT may organize a group buy on this.
If you don't mind me asking, what did the whole kit cost you?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #51
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I wonder how much of the secondary oil cooler retrofit kit is actually necessary to do this?
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #52
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Good review as always!
My two favorite things about this kit, is the overall lower oil temps and the Stett adapter plate! That little plate looks pretty damn cool!!
      12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #53
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

The kits are going to be a lot cheaper than AR's kit

If I recall it was under 600 for stage 1 before the GB

Check the old thread or maybe its in my pms some where
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #54
Graystone
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sport euro 6mt

As always Very well done .
It would probly be easyer to get a volunteer to do the same test and log for us on there stock oil set up. With the temps dropping around the country, to give us an idea of the how much the temps made a difference.
As a fellow modder it is hard enough to get things just right with out the addition of taking pictures and logging everything, in between the four letter words, I really appreciate your time . Thankyou Sir
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #55
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
The kits are going to be a lot cheaper than AR's kit

If I recall it was under 600 for stage 1 before the GB

Check the old thread or maybe its in my pms some where
Quote:
Originally Posted by STETT Performance View Post
Here is the pricing on the kits:

135i/335i stage 1 retail: $645
135i stage 2 retail: $685
335i stage 2 retail: $735

The thermostat kit retail: $169

As mentioned previously we will be offering a group buy in short time as soon as we wrap up the last few details on the kits.
I will definitely be on the GB!
      12-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #56
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.

I don't know how you have the patience to take all the photos during the process. When I wanted to do my own slide show of installing and uninstalling parts, I am too impatient to take the time and snap a few photos...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #57
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
It says thermostat kit retail is 169, what does that include??

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #58
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Not sure I like the idea of lowering the oil temp that much. I would imagine BMW had it in that range for a reason, and I seriously doubt oil temp affects emissions. Coolant temp yes because it directly affects proper combustion, oil temp I doubt it.

Also, there seems like there's quite a bit of fab work involved for the replacement. The Dinan kit seems to mount to all stock locations, but I can't tell if requires the removal of the front crash bar to install it or not, although that doesn't seem to be the case. Obviously this kit requires the bar to be removed because it mounts behind it, but I can't tell from the install if that was required to remove the stock oil cooler or not.

Another question I have is why everyone is caught up on the Setrab oil coolers. It's not they are the only company to make high quality high pressure oil coolers. Derale has made them for years and their cores certainly cost quite a bit less. I guess I just don't see the appeal of paying that much extra for an oil cooler just for a name.

Based on the pics of the stock oil t-stat, a properly sized replacement spring could do the trick if you just want to lower the temps without the hole filter housing replacement. Sounds like a fun project to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #59
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Amazing review as usual! With the lower oil temperatures, the oil viscosity will be different. If our engines are indeed designed to be run at a specific temperature with specific oils (LL-01 approved), then will you consider using a different brand/weight of oil that has similar characteristics at the lower temperatures?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #60
C4sF80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Amazing review as usual! With the lower oil temperatures, the oil viscosity will be different. If our engines are indeed designed to be run at a specific temperature with specific oils (LL-01 approved), then will you consider using a different brand/weight of oil that has similar characteristics at the lower temperatures?
Agreed. Upping the core size should really be the only goal. With the AR cooler, most people's street temps are staying around 230F with recorded max temps of 255 on the track. Staying in the range you can be sure you're not exceeding what the engineers had designed for that engine. Plus motor oil viscosity testing is done at the 210F range, so by lowering the temp 50 degrees you're effectively lowering the viscosity of the motor oil, which can lead to bearing clearance issues which can lead to failure, especially in track use. Not exactly a great feature. The bearing clearances are designed with heat and viscosity in mind, so again by changing this your changing the effective design.

Another point to consider is that since the pistons are oil cooled, you can also change the heat expansion tolerance that pistons were designed for to not have piston slap. In a non-oiled cooled piston motor, typically the piston design would include greater tolerance to allow for greater heat expansion of the hotter aluminum vs. a piston that is being cooled which will not expand as much.

Personally I plan on trying to come up with my own setup that uses a high efficient 25-27 row core, and hopefully won't require massive amounts of car manipulation to make it fit. We'll see what happens.

Does the Stett kit include a proper louvered vent? Or is it pretty much just hack a hole in the back and let the hot air hit the rotor? I'm not sure I like how the air guide is just removed as well. Obviously it will still get air, but not as efficient as with a proper air guide. Granted none of that matters on the street, but running 30 minute sessions on the track with 100F + temps can find the weakness of any setup.

Last edited by C4sF80M3; 12-04-2010 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: update.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #61
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
I wonder how much of the secondary oil cooler retrofit kit is actually necessary to do this?
That is a question you would have to ask STETT. I am not sure there.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #62
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
Good review as always!
My two favorite things about this kit, is the overall lower oil temps and the Stett adapter plate! That little plate looks pretty damn cool!!
McMuffin, lol the plate is beautiful! Don't forget the oil lines!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #63
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
As always Very well done .
It would probly be easyer to get a volunteer to do the same test and log for us on there stock oil set up. With the temps dropping around the country, to give us an idea of the how much the temps made a difference.
As a fellow modder it is hard enough to get things just right with out the addition of taking pictures and logging everything, in between the four letter words, I really appreciate your time . Thankyou Sir
Graystone, I may get lucky every once in a while with wamer temps. I will be out the first day we get some.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #64
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do these reviews.

I don't know how you have the patience to take all the photos during the process. When I wanted to do my own slide show of installing and uninstalling parts, I am too impatient to take the time and snap a few photos...
onesuperboi, no problem at all my friend. I am glad you enjoy the reads.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #65
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
I have considered an an oil change, but I am not the expert here. I have asked STETT what they suggest and I may go over to Motul.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #66
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

c4s335i,

If you think the additional oil cooler kits are not limping at the track, I think you should dig a little deeper. All I am hearing is that they are limping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
Agreed. Upping the core size should really be the only goal. With the AR cooler, most people's street temps are staying around 230F with recorded max temps of 255 on the track. Staying in the range you can be sure you're not exceeding what the engineers had designed for that engine. Plus motor oil viscosity testing is done at the 210F range, so by lowering the temp 50 degrees you're effectively lowering the viscosity of the motor oil, which can lead to bearing clearance issues which can lead to failure, especially in track use. Not exactly a great feature. The bearing clearances are designed with heat and viscosity in mind, so again by changing this your changing the effective design.

Another point to consider is that since the pistons are oil cooled, you can also change the heat expansion tolerance that pistons were designed for to not have piston slap. In a non-oiled cooled piston motor, typically the piston design would include greater tolerance to allow for greater heat expansion of the hotter aluminum vs. a piston that is being cooled which will not expand as much.

Personally I plan on trying to come up with my own setup that uses a high efficient 25-27 row core, and hopefully won't require massive amounts of car manipulation to make it fit. We'll see what happens.

Does the Stett kit include a proper louvered vent? Or is it pretty much just hack a hole in the back and let the hot air hit the rotor? I'm not sure I like how the air guide is just removed as well. Obviously it will still get air, but not as efficient as with a proper air guide. Granted none of that matters on the street, but running 30 minute sessions on the track with 100F + temps can find the weakness of any setup.
I understand the kit has been driven on the Texas Mile. I think you are being awefully harsh with a lot of assumptions. This testing was done at 40F. Please do not forget that. If you add 38F ambient to make the testing identical, one must assume those numbers would converge in some way. Who knows how much. There may be some track cars that never run a thermostat. What you must remember is you have choices. If you want a 180F thermostat, 190F, 200F, etc. Choose what best meets your needs.
Appreciate 0