E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Key Fob issue? receiver maybe?

04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Angry Key Fob issue? receiver maybe?

So here is the story... my car (2007 328i coupe) has always been solid and reliable the whole time I owned it up til I replaced the front windshield at about 72k before my 3500 mile road trip.. fortunately insurance covered most of it and I only paid 100 bucks out of pocket... unfortunately it wasn't a factory windshield and wished I got a OE windshield.

Ever since the day I picked up my car i've had random issues with unlocking the doors with the fob. This is a sporatic problem and happens 25-35% of the time I try to open my car with the fob. I sit outside the car clicking the fob over and over til about 5-8 sec it decides to open after the 10th click or so. Oddly the trunk always opens on the first click...just not the doors.

I've had it at the dealer "seattle" about 3 times for this issue and "bellevue" 1 time for this issue. Everyone doesn't know what is wrong. Seattle said it was my tint in the back window (no metal)... so not the tint I told them. No way! It happened LONG after i tinted my car. I asked both dealers where the antenna for the reciever is, neither gave me a solid answer. I think it has to do with the front windshiled...either that or its a strange coincidence that it started happening the first time i opened by car after the windshield was installed.

Any idea? is the antenna in the front or back window? if the back? where? and what might cause this random issue?

i've tried Both fobs and no differences. seems to be more a receiver thing i'd imagine.

CF splitters/rear diffuser/mirrors/fr strut brace | Mtech rear bmpr | Stoptech Rotors
| BMS spcrs | 3M Clear Bra Tim Connor (me) | Lux Angel Eyes | MTEC 6000k HID
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
BMWonderful
When I think of something witty it will go here
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330

The antenna for the keyless entry is in the back glass, near the top right by the third brake light.

I have worked in the auto glass industry since highschool so any questions you have just let me know. As far as your fob goes, do you have comfort access? Also, what brand of glass was put in and who did the work?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
BMWonderful
When I think of something witty it will go here
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330

Oh, and by the way, random coincidence but I just pulled back into town from a 3300 mile road trip yesterday. Love my car even more now, but definitely going to do headers, cat delete, and AA program...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
lvlolvlo
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: eeeee nein-tee-two

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I've had the same issue for awhile now. I'm fairly sure there is something wrong with the antenna as I too have had it in and out of the service drive (heck my SA kept the car for nearly a week trying to figure it out). I'm thinking some type of corrosion or some damage has taken place on the back window at the antenna -- but I've adjusted to it (sadly) to be honest whereby it doesn't bother me enough to have it replaced/redone.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

i forgot to mention I had to have the back window replaced after the problem occurred. And I had factory OE glass put in from the dealer. Unfortunately Accutint of Bellevue had ruined my defrosters when removing tint and going darker. So I had to put a new back window in suffice to say.

still the problem persists. :/

wish i knew exactly what to look for and diagnose it.

CF splitters/rear diffuser/mirrors/fr strut brace | Mtech rear bmpr | Stoptech Rotors
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
TimC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonderful View Post
The antenna for the keyless entry is in the back glass, near the top right by the third brake light.

I have worked in the auto glass industry since highschool so any questions you have just let me know. As far as your fob goes, do you have comfort access? Also, what brand of glass was put in and who did the work?
i dont' have comfort access.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
e90mbition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

I have a similar issue and the range sucks
Appreciate 0