E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Quick question on steering wheel play...

11-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #89
Groza_Z
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I just checked the bolt in my linkage and it was quite tight. I loosened it and I believe it's torqued time 11 foot pounds? Seems low. Either way this is most definitely not the problem. The play is I believe in the steering rack itself as you can see here I have my brother turning the wheel off the center back and forth and nothing is happening from the linkage to the tie rods.

Exactly the same thing to me. But mine is a 320d LCI with EPS... Looking into tightening the preload but not pretty sure how to deal with the 8-sided bolt and whether that works
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #90
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
If you figure out a way let me know. To me it seems like the rack itself has play in the input shaft or where it goes into the rack. Definitely a dead spot inside and I doubt is related to the steering shaft
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #91
Groza_Z
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
If you figure out a way let me know. To me it seems like the rack itself has play in the input shaft or where it goes into the rack. Definitely a dead spot inside and I doubt is related to the steering shaft
Should be. I jacked up the front end and tried pushing the wheel to left & right pretty quickly, but no play found. So the rack (the strip moving left or right in the steering rack assm.) & rods should be fine. Then the problem goes to the input shaft of the rack or somewhere the input pinion gear and strip rack touches...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #92
802Ian
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Manual Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200,000 club View Post
Does anyone rebuild/remanufacture e90 steering racks?
Yes- I saw FCP euro had remanufactured OEM steering racks! Not sure if you are still looking 200,000 club.

I am going to attempt to retorque/tighten that bolt this weekend as my car has just started exhibiting the symptoms described; slightly more slop before wheel engages and a clunk/click when the wheel starts "working" after the few mm of free play.

Thanks for everyone before who came up with the solution (hopefully mine) to the this problem, sounds like a headache to figure out
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #93
19jdog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
Follow up. I fixed my 'loose' steering issue! Here's what I found, and how to fix it... hope it might help someone here.

The culprit in my case was the lower steering joint clamp bolt. It was just slack enough to allow some slop between the steering shaft and the steering box input shaft... this was felt at the steering wheel as about 3/8" of free play. (The steering wheel is effectively a lever, so a little axial wiggle at the input shaft feels like a big movement at the wheel)

If you've got an hour, some tools, and mechanical acuity it's a simple thing to look into.

Investigating and addressing the issue requires removing the cowl panel (there's a DIY here for that little job). Obviously there is noticeable play in the steering wheel before it feels connected to anything mechanical. Once you're in there, have a friend wiggle the wheel while you watch the steering shaft, the lower clamp, and steering box. If the steering shaft is healthy and doesn't have play within the two U joints, and you've got keen eyes, you'll see the lower clamp moving around on the steering-box input-shaft instead of turning it... Another check is to grab the lower steering shaft and see if it moves relative to the steering box. Mine was loose enough to also slide back and forth on the steering box input shaft as well... (there was a ring of exposed shining brassy metal on the splined input shaft which is also an indication of play there.)

I found that a 12-point 5/16" socket is a nearly perfect fit over the oddball torx-style bolt head. The bolt wasn't loose, but I was able to get another 1/2 turn or so (ish) with a ratchet wrench which tightened things right up. It's muscle-tight, but the bolt appears similar to the other aluminum bolts used throughout the engine bay so don't over-do it.

Funny that the difference between legendary BMW steering feel and lane-wandering chaos comes down to the torque setting of a single bolt... I have a feeling this one bolt had been slowly working its way loose (stretching?) for some time as my steering is now more direct, connected, and solid than I ever remember it being.

This thread just helped me out with my light steering issue. Thank you! 🙏🏾
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #94
Mr Phil E90
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
Follow up. I fixed my 'loose' steering issue! Here's what I found, and how to fix it... hope it might help someone here.

The culprit in my case was the lower steering joint clamp bolt. It was just slack enough to allow some slop between the steering shaft and the steering box input shaft... this was felt at the steering wheel as about 3/8" of free play. (The steering wheel is effectively a lever, so a little axial wiggle at the input shaft feels like a big movement at the wheel)

If you've got an hour, some tools, and mechanical acuity it's a simple thing to look into.

Investigating and addressing the issue requires removing the cowl panel (there's a DIY here for that little job). Obviously there is noticeable play in the steering wheel before it feels connected to anything mechanical. Once you're in there, have a friend wiggle the wheel while you watch the steering shaft, the lower clamp, and steering box. If the steering shaft is healthy and doesn't have play within the two U joints, and you've got keen eyes, you'll see the lower clamp moving around on the steering-box input-shaft instead of turning it... Another check is to grab the lower steering shaft and see if it moves relative to the steering box. Mine was loose enough to also slide back and forth on the steering box input shaft as well... (there was a ring of exposed shining brassy metal on the splined input shaft which is also an indication of play there.)

I found that a 12-point 5/16" socket is a nearly perfect fit over the oddball torx-style bolt head. The bolt wasn't loose, but I was able to get another 1/2 turn or so (ish) with a ratchet wrench which tightened things right up. It's muscle-tight, but the bolt appears similar to the other aluminum bolts used throughout the engine bay so don't over-do it.

Funny that the difference between legendary BMW steering feel and lane-wandering chaos comes down to the torque setting of a single bolt... I have a feeling this one bolt had been slowly working its way loose (stretching?) for some time as my steering is now more direct, connected, and solid than I ever remember it being.
I was really pleased to find this post as my 2007 E90 330d M Sport is having the same problem, but unfortunately for me both the top and bottom steering shaft UJ bolts were tight. I even undone them and retightened them just to be sure.

My problem is that when the cars stood and I rock the steering wheel I can see that the drivers side wheel is moving even with the small amount of input in the steering wheel. Also had a friend rock the steering wheel the same small amount and the passenger side wheel is moving too.

Ive checked the bushes in the lower arms and all are tight and not perished. The only slight bit of wear I can see is possibly in the drivers side lower arm ball joint but this is very minor. Non the less I have ordered 4 front arms for the car and hopefully get them fitted at the weekend.

Has anybody else had the same problem as me where tightening the steering shaft UJ's did not fix the problem and if so what was the problem?

Alignment was done less than 2 months ago so have ruled that out. However I did read somewhere that the M Sports have different specs. Is this true and if so does anyone have them?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 05:13 AM   #95
justhim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quick question. Should the play in u joint be visible? I have active steering on my 330i and I can feel 5mm (1/4 of an inch) of play in the wheel. It seems to be there regardless of the speed I am doing and it just feels empty in that region. The car does not wander or anything but I am annoyed because it just doesn't feel right.

How tight should the bolt be to be "loose" I tried quickly but it felt tight, but I didn't really want to push it with some strength without being sure that it is causing the play?
Appreciate 0