E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY - DEI Shock Sensor Install

02-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

DIY - DEI Shock Sensor Install

Background:

I'm not here to refute the fact that the OEM alarm has some disadvantages (steep price, not very sensitive, no shock sensor), but I am here to give you an alternative route w/ the OEM alarm.

My biggest problem w/ the oem alarm is the fact that it doesn't have a shock sensor. I'm going to have to park my car in the student parking lot for the next couple of years and I want an alarm that will be sensitive to tampering hands and feet. I need the OEM alarm to have shock sensor capability; the DEI shock sensor is the solution.

Time to completion:
< 30 minutes
Difficulty (easy 1 - >5 hard): 2
Application: E9x and E60.

What you'll need:

DEI Shock Sensor 504D
Wire Stripper, or scissors and a steady hand.
Small screw driver.
Electrical Tape.
(optional Tap-In Connectors 64-3053 from radioshack).

(optional Rectifier Diodes 276-1103 1N4004 from radioshack).

Getting down to business:

Strip the blue wire of the DEI shock sensor so that about 1cm of wire is exposed. Tuck the green wire or snip it down as you won't be needing it.

(optional)
Attach a diode to the shock sensor (band on the diode closest to the shock sensor)

Step 1:

Locate and remove dome lights where your OEM motion sensor is installed. I found it easiest to pull from the side opposite the lights, although it is less stress on the parts if you pry from the lamp side.

Step 2:

Disconnect wires. There should be two connectors - one that runs to the lights and another that connects to the motion sensor. Remove the mae ends from the female sockets by pressing on both sides of the connectors and pulling out.

Step 3:

Locate the black connector that was attached to the motion sensor.

Cut or unravel the cloth sheath that surrounds the wires so that you have some room to work.

Step 4:

Using your wire taps or carefully cutting part of the wire insulation to access the wires within connect the RED wire from the DEI Shock Sensor to wire PIN 1 of the black USIS connector (black and red striped wire), connect the BLACK wire from the DEI Shock Sensor to the wire PIN 8 (brown and black striped wire), and connect the BLUE wire from the DEI Shock Sensor to wire PIN 7 of the USIS connector (also black and red striped).
note: pictured here the green wire was connected in place of the blue wire, this configuration will NOT work, it must be the blue wire.

If all went well your shock sensor should light up even w/o arming the alarm.

Step 5:

Test that everything works. You must reconnect the black connector to the motion sensor inorder for your alarm to arm properly. Roll your driver side window down and let the light fixture and shock sensor hang from the black bundle of wires. Keep your keys handy. Arm the alarm and slowly reach in making sure not to set off the motion sensor and tap the shock sensor. The sensor should blink and then set off the alarm after a static red light. Turn off the alarm w/ your unlock key.

Step 6:

Adjust the desired sensitivity of the alarm w/ your small screw driver via the yellow screw on the side of the shock sensor. I have mine set about mid way.

Step 7:

Tuck everything away. There are two places you can put the actual shock sensor. You can wedge it against the side of headliner behind the black bar and under your roof or you can tape it to your dome light fixture. I opted for taping it to the fixture because I was scared that rain might set off the alarm.

There's an empty spot next to the motion sensor and across fromt he black connector where you can place your shock sensor. It fits perfectly and the plastic should dampen the sensor from false alarms caused by rain and passing vehicles.

Step 8:

Replace the light dome fixture by lining up the vented front first and then pushing the light fixture portion in after.

Retest your shock sensor and motion sensor by waving your arms around after arming the car and tapping your sunroof or rocking the car back and forth.

END. Enjoy your shock sensor .

FYI: the best place to pick up a sensor for cheap is ebay.

APPENDIX:

ON/OFF Button and Production Unit(I'm putting together shock sensor sets for members currently, PM me for details).
I've further added to the system and installed an on/off switch for the sensor so that the sensor can be deavtivated on stormy days or for transport to avoid a false alarm. Any 3amp SPST switch should work, just make sure it's not a momentary switch. The switch will have two prongs on its back - cut your red cable that runs from your sensor to the USIS wiring harness in half and attach either end to each prong and voila. Here are some photos of my set-up.

--------------------------------

This has taken quite a bit of time to get finally worked out. Major credit goes out to 335Dog who first solved the problem I was having of the sensor not setting off the alarm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DOG View Post
I got the shock sensor to work today. The problem you’re having is because you are trying to connect the green wire to the motion sensor. I tried both the blue and green and only the blue wire sets the alarm off. I guess the signal from the green is different from the blue. The shock sensor works very well in the headline. Also I put a diode on the green wire from the shock sensor and another diode on the motion sensor to stop the current back flow from each other.
more info on initial problems and discussion about the pros and cons of the sensor:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...649#post674649
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...669#post599669
more references:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=shock+sensor

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT

Last edited by ironic; 05-26-2011 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Thumbs up Summon all...

Wow,

Calling all the Angels, Saints and Arch-Angels; Rejoice!

Ironic(after stringing us out for 3 weeks) Has finished his "Glorious" work...

Does it work...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
335DOG
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Where's my credit dude?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
Wow,

Calling all the Angels, Saints and Arch-Angels; Rejoice!

Ironic(after stringing us out for 3 weeks) Has finished his "Glorious" work...

Does it work...
Longer than 3 weeks man. No one had any idea on how to fix it. This install worked for me. It wasn't an easy task figuring this out either. It's a little nerve wracking cutting into wires of a brand new car. If you look at the schematic for the pin I was following it's adapted from an e60 manual. I did a lot of background on this and tried to figure out the best way to go about it. The simplest instlal would have been in the hood, but I hated the fact that you had to unlock the car before you could open the trunk and that you couldn't disable the sensor and have the alarm still armed when you didn't want to risk a false alarm. With this setup, since it's wired to the motion sensor if you lock the car twice (disable the motion sensor) you also disable the shock sensor. This means on esp rainy days when youre worried your over sensitive shock sensor might go off by accident, you can disable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DOG View Post
Where's my credit dude?
Haha, sorry I was in a rush to post the DIY - people have been on my ass about not posting it up for so long. I was going to credit you but i forgot, it's fixed now tho.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Thumbs up

Good Job...

Please give us a follow up in a couple of weeks to let us know if it's working as intended...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Hey ironic. Any chance you can install this on my car? I already have the shock sensor ... just dont wanna mess with the wiring.
      02-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

By the way...GREAT DIY. Mad Props!
I was about to take this to a body shop to get it installed...but I figured since you rated the difficulty as 2...than MAYBE i can install it myself. But still...by any chance can you help me out?

Thanks!
      02-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsesxaznx View Post
By the way...GREAT DIY. Mad Props!
I was about to take this to a body shop to get it installed...but I figured since you rated the difficulty as 2...than MAYBE i can install it myself. But still...by any chance can you help me out?

Thanks!
PM sent

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

I call this to be put in the DIY STICKY THREAD!!
      02-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

responded to ur PM

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

if anyone else is in the bay and would like this installed for them send me a pm and we can work something out

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

I jsut came back from installing SES_D's shock sensor today. We found an optimal spot for placement that yielded great results. On the sensor's highest level, a small bird that landed on the hood (sensor is installed in the roof) set off the alarm.

Install took about 40minutes between waiting for the soldering iron to heat up and getting the radioshack wire connectors worked out.

I have an extra DEI Shock sensor that I'm looking to sell as well, if anyone is intereted look in the for sale forum.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Great writeup. Thanks for sharing. Added to DIY Master List - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Totally kick ass! Thanks a ton.

Hey, one thing, you mention the soldering iron? Aren't wire taps just a crimp connection?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

Wow, I would think more members would be interested in this Mod. I've seen tons of threads about how people touch/ding their cars....well this is definately a mod to put on your car!!
      02-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I agree, this is definitely a mod for those who have the alarm. Now all I need
is to get someone to help install the alarm before embarking on this DIY
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #17
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

i need some help with the oem alarm!

does your Panic Button work? i think you'r suppose to hold on to the trunk for 10sec... correct?

also the motion sensor doesnt even work in my car. i banged on everything and nothin happend.
only way the car will go off is when i open the doors while the car is locked.

after you use the radio shack connectors , if you dont want the dei sensor anymore and take everything
out... will the oem motion sensor still work ?

Last edited by MWcoupe; 02-07-2007 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #18
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
Totally kick ass! Thanks a ton.

Hey, one thing, you mention the soldering iron? Aren't wire taps just a crimp connection?
soldering the diodes tot he wire because the ends of the diodes are small metal rods instead of wire and so they're hard to attacks ecurely to wire w/ just electrical tape

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #19
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330 View Post
i need some help with the oem alarm!

does your Panic Button work? i think you'r suppose to hold on to the trunk for 10sec... correct?

also the motion sensor doesnt even work in my car. i banged on everything and nothin happend.

after you use the radio shack connectors , if you dont want the dei sensor anymore and take everything
the e90's dont come w/ an alarm, u need to get it installed, if you install it urself u need the dealer to activate it

if u install the shocks ensor and then disconnect it everything will go back to normal. the shock sensor doesn't change nething, it just adds a function.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #20
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcoder View Post
I agree, this is definitely a mod for those who have the alarm. Now all I need
is to get someone to help install the alarm before embarking on this DIY
there's a DIY, if you have a jack and the required tools, i could help u out if u'd like

u could just birng it to the dealer too

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330 View Post

You need the DEI Shock Sensor.
      02-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #22
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Great post, Alex!
Appreciate 0