E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Car Club – a waste of money?

07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

BMW Car Club – a waste of money?

Have been a member of the BMW Car Club of Great Britain for nearly two years now and have come to the conclusion it is a waste of my money.

I suppose that from the start I should have been more wary, in that their mag is called ‘Straight Six’.

This appears to mean basically that 4 cylinder motors don’t exist. Current showroom models are described with great rarity. The mags main interest are the BMW dinosaurs of old, the E30 types etc in all their variations .

The mag is trying to be a ‘hip’ in that there are lots of flash and fancy disjointed pics on multi colour pages. Most of which means they are a pain to read.

So if you are thinking of joining and are expecting to read about your E90 320d; forget it and save your money! I’ll be saving mine!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Funnily enough I followed the link through from BMW the other day. Looked like a waste of time for me too. Even the forum which I assume is free, looked a bit dead.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

I was in it a few years ago, totally agree. I found it expensive for the poor magazine and the discounts are generally available via other methods or just by asking. Shame really as I'd happily join up again if it became relevant or value for money.
      07-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I'll be joining shortly as it is free with the Silverstone track day. But from what I read of the site I can't disagree with what you are saying. None of the documented discounts are particularly impressive.

Maybe if you're close to the crew IE on good terms with the organisers of the Gaydon show and the other big events then you'll get to know of other benefits. Otherwise I'm not sure I "get" it myself?

However they do put on some good events and if the money goes into making sure that continues to happen then I'd hapilly support it regardless of anything else!
      07-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I took a look at the club too but didnt bother joining.

First off, the mag doesent seem to have the best of content, and having read a couple of issues online, it seems no where as good as the excellent BMW car magazine.
The only intresting bit I found in the Straight Six mag was a monthly article written by the boss of BMW UK, (Tim Abbott).

The forum also seems a bit quiet and not the greatest of discounts for parts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

I was only considering joining because it would essentially be free with the silverstone trackday.

Otherwise, meh...

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
FLUTE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Hi, if I may comment on this thread. I am a member of the BMWCC and have been for 5 years. There are many different reasons why people join clubs, for me it was so I meet othe like minded individuals who share my passion in cars. Also I use the club for many issues that need some 'expert' advice to resolve. There are many discount currently available at the moment which is ideal for me. The magazine I personally find a good read. The club organises events such as tatton, gaydon, harewood house to name a few which are well attended.

Cheers,
Flute
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
dteagles
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 M3/Z4 MC/520d MSport

I am a member and find it does pretty much everything I need of a club, specifically because I do the odd track day and members pay less than guests for what are probably the best organised track days in the UK. September 24th at Silverstone using the Arena GP circuit/new pit and paddock complex....£275 members £325 non members....

The magazine is great, but remember that most of the articles are written by members so if you want more modern stuff included you'll have to write some articles....with regard to discounts you are probably correct, however, I just got 20% off a new set of discs for my Z4MC which I doubt many could get "over the counter".

They also organise shows and trips, they recently did a 2 week factory tour which according to someone I know who went was brilliant.

just my 2p worth...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Wonders will never cease. I thought.
This months issue of 'Straight Six' (Oct) actually gives a two page spread on a 4 cyl 'New BMW 3 Series Saloon'. An F30 320D.
It's a report of 3 day drive of a car donated by a BMW Main Dealer.
Unfortunatly it reads like a BMW advert written by a BMW Main Dealer!
To think I have paid a sub of £40 for this standard of read. But not next year I won't!
On the back page there's a BMW UK advert regarding why you should buy winter tyres.
Unfortunatly, the BMW UK web site still has out of date adverts and prices for 2011/12 and does not cover the F30!
Absolutly useless!
Appreciate 0