E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Track Pads?

06-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

2 things:

First: Everyone I have ever met who lists something like SkipBarber, Bondourant, Richard Petty, etc as an event on their short list of experience has been terrible. Not saying anything more than its an observation. (Know what at least one person thinks about you when you share with the group.)

Second: I occasionally forget that this entire forum exists so that entrepreneurial dudes can sell stuff. I'm betting that the least informed guys spend the most monies. And, the guys that know the most do silly stuff like track a civic. (I could be wrong)

My view if this subforum, Suspension, is that it's all one giant product review / advertisement meeting place. And, in the same way I wouldn't comment on, or weight in on someone's "for sale thread", I don't think talk of skill-set, knowledge, learning curve, technique, etc, have any place in this subforum. Why? Because telling someone that they should "learn first, buy second" doesn't help anyone make Lambo payments.

I like to think that there's a subforum where guys who know infinitely more than me won't sugar coat some painful advice that I need to hear. And, displaying an ego when knowledgeable dudes tell me "how it is" just shows how rookie I really am.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
So, to point out the fact that I don't know what I'm doing

There is no way any stock suspension 3-series is going to hang with me in the corners.
You asked for opinions, ppl gave you some not sure anyone was really ragging on you dude

Are you going to do any days at Mid Ohio this year by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I'm personally not convinced that modified suspension is always better than stock. I would rather be in a stock car than a car with a poorly setup aftermarket suspension (i think adjustability hinders not helps most people)
+1000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
And, the guys that know the most do silly stuff like track a civic. (I could be wrong)
DOH!! I've been found out. I love tracking my Civic (although it's been a while). It's much easier to toss around 2500lbs than 3700lbs.

Mods |Painted Kidneys|Black Lower Mesh Grills|Rho-plate|7500 GP Fogs|JB3 2.0|LED Tag Lights|Rear Fogs|And maybe some day an M3 Rear Spoiler|
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #26
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
You asked for opinions, ppl gave you some not sure anyone was really ragging on you dude

Are you going to do any days at Mid Ohio this year by any chance?
Yes you're right. I guess I didn't like it when people got off topic. I shouldn't have even commented on the off topic stuff.

That being said: I'm probably going with Carboteh pads. We used them on the race car over the weekend at the 12 Hours at Summit Point and they worked very well. We finished 12th, but it was the first real endurance race for the car. I'll cover all the details in the racing section.

I'm staying closer to home. Maybe as far as Summit, but more than likely NJ and PA. Possibly VIR, but not too likely.

Also, thanks everyone for the help. I'm sure I didn't give enough information from the start, like tires etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
I'm staying closer to home. Maybe as far as Summit, but more than likely NJ and PA. Possibly VIR, but not too likely.
That's cool. probably won't run into you this year then. I'm moving away from CA and am trying to figure out what tracks (if any) are in the Chicago area.
Appreciate 0