E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Interesting Cobb code clearing/unistalling and my dealership

09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Interesting Cobb code clearing/unistalling and my dealership

So I've been having hesitations and rough idles and the PA29F code comes up along with misfire cyl 3 code running the Stage 1+ aggressive tune, but not on the stock tune. I figure that my fuel pump is on it's way out. Well we all know that uninstalling the Cobb removes all codes and that most dealerships will not do warranty work unless the code is present.

So I uninstall the tune a week ago and had my appointment today. I've been running the car hard on the stock tune hoping that the Fuel pump code will come up on and that they'll replace it. Low and behold no code, at this point I'm a little disappointed because the car just runs rough with the tune and the codes only come up with the tune on.

But the interesting part is this, my SA said that his tech could tell that the codes have been cleared recently. He never mentioned the car being tuned, but the fact that they could tell that the codes had been cleared surprised me. Leads me to believe that if they really wanted to BMW can figure a way to tell if you are or have been tuned. Just a heads up I guess to my fellow forum members.

On a side note a little background my dealership knows about some of my mods. Coilovers, catback, and intercooler, Forge DV's. They're cool with my mods and have performed warranty work with them on before. Though I have never mentioned any of my tunes nor have they asked about it (JB3, Procede Rev 3 V2, and now Cobb). My usual SA knows about cars and he usually hooks me up with loaners (Got a 2012 E92 335i FULLY loaded this time). He basically told me to run the car hard till the codes come up again and to not clear them. Looks like I'll be stock for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
cmyk
resident girl.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i + 2014 X5

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.76]
I had a sort of related/slightly similar experience not too long ago. I pulled a Vanos code, which was cleared before I brought the car in. However, my warranty receipt still shows that they pulled Vanos codes during their diagnostic (even though Cobb AP was showing No Codes Present as of ~30 minutes before I took the car in). Interested to hear others' experiences or ideas on what's going on with both of our experiences.

ETA: They put 0 miles on my car during that trip, so I know they didn't drive the car around until the code(s) came back, and the code had been cleared and hadn't come back (with or without Cobb installed) for about a week before I brought it to the dealership.

Last edited by cmyk; 09-12-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

He probably knows they were clear cause almost every car that normally goes in there has a bunch of old codes and old shadow codes. So to see a car with XX,XXX miles not have any codes whatsoever can be a red flag. (thats my theory anyway).

Do they know more, maybe... idk
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I had a sort of related/slightly similar experience not too long ago. I pulled a Vanos code, which was cleared before I brought the car in. However, my warranty receipt still shows that they pulled Vanos codes during their diagnostic (even though Cobb AP was showing No Codes Present as of ~30 minutes before I took the car in). Interested to hear others' experiences or ideas on what's going on with both of our experiences.

ETA: They put 0 miles on my car during that trip, so I know they didn't drive the car around until the code(s) came back, and the code had been cleared and hadn't come back (with or without Cobb installed) for about a week before I brought it to the dealership.
Man I wished that the codes showed up driving the car stock is killing me especially since I've been tinkering with E85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
He probably knows they were clear cause almost every car that normally goes in there has a bunch of old codes and old shadow codes. So to see a car with XX,XXX miles not have any codes whatsoever can be a red flag. (thats my theory anyway).

Do they know more, maybe... idk
That does sound interesting, but the way he stated it was surprising. I was hoping that at least the fuel pump code would come back. I wish that Cobb would give the option of deleting codes as I have a BT Tool to erase the tuner shadow codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

INPA showed me codes I thought were long gone. It's a good preventative measure