E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2013 Track Dates (Quebec, Ontario and U.S. North East)

05-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #529
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Yes some incidents on and off track. Nothing major. I will let others chime in.

I was in awe of Gewow's prowess on track. Good lines and smooth driving. He's a good track partner for me.

I had two minor incidents. First one was at Namerow where I needed to do some lawn-mowing on the left side right before turning. There was a Boxster who didn't let people by and did not have any brake lights working !!! So I needed to avoid him.

This is why Viperclub events are still a Mickey Mouse organization in my mind. 2 of us told Andras and I told Sebastien and the guy was still on track for the following 3 sessions until my incident. I then spoke directly to the head flagman of this danger amongst us. I didn't see the Boxster after that.

My other incident came right after Bridge turn (where numerous cars spin out). I touched (climbed on) the inside curb at apex when a slight drizzle had just started... Immediate double spin but stayed mostly in the center of paved surface.

Had fun. Gave rides. Good track mates.

I was a passenger in the first one! that damn Boxer but great driving Tony, that Mcoupe is one little beast! even though i still think you need better seats in it
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #530
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I am absolutely floored with the little Golf. No limp modes. No boiling out of windshield washer fluid. No heating up (was at 90 degrees all day, same as street), definitely no heatsoak. Best of all? Was expecting 2:30 (average lap time on the 335 was 2:10, was thinking Golf is slower and I am not used to the car). Started the day at 2:09 and finished with 2:03s. Wow.

Looks like I need better pads and a camber kit, though.
I love that little R! seemed pretty balanced and man the seats better than the ones in my M
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #531
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
George : awesome lapping and I have to say... As much as I never freaked out over your individual color choice it looks great with the color of your track rims.

Your car is up there with Chris's car as most awesome track car color.

Post that vid of 1:58. It's more fun to watch a vid with passing or stuff happening anyways.

Nvez : nice pics! George's car looks awesome with those colors on track. Up there with Chris's

Pseudo : damn... That golf R sounds like an awesome track beast. Can't believe its as fast in the straights as Chris said. Wow impressive! I'm pretty sure you will knock off another 2 seconds next track day.

Kenn: sorry to hear about mishap but you got away with barely a scratch in a very scary place.

Chris : kudos to you with being patient to relearn driving a 911. I know I could never do it after trying out the 911's at Calabogie. They are beasts on track but they need relearning of everything you learned. I know I don't have the patience or skill to drive a 911 the way it's supposed to.

You should speak to my buddy Rodrigo next BmW event you attend. He can teach you a ton on driving 911's fast. He's an instructor like Canaut but races 944's and 911's.

Tony: what can I say... You are Mr consistent. I call you the teacher

Chris: (white 335) thanks for taking me as a passenger. Too bad the Viperclub instructors didn't stay with you a bit longer to teach the lines. LCMT is a great track but unlike icar that is flat ... Elevation and off camber corners can really be dangerous without good teachers explaining. BMW club events will definitely make you go much faster with smooth lines and braking. Great instructors.

You guys are definitely giving me the itch to track again... Maybe ill join the next big group at LCMT with Viperclub. I like the fact you can bring friends on laps.

I'm so far only signed up with BMW club for aug 19 and 20'th. who else is coming to this? Jerry and Nick are both signed up as well. Would love to get a big group like yesterday.

Also had fun driving up and stopping off at Jerry's on our way up to LcMt with Catherine, Moe and Fahad.

Catherine, when's the next meet? Wouldn't Jerry's restaurant with the terrace on a nice day be a cool drive and rest stop for bfast or brunch? Hint hint....
thx for kind words. fastest lap in the session i filmed was a 1:58.35 with a decent mistake on turn 11. In the following vid, laptimes are 1:59.8, 1:58.6, and the 1:58.4.

Few things I learned thru this vid:
- this car is not well geared for this track (with 6MT)
- i may need to start incorporating 2nd gear - maybe turns 12 (bridge) and 14 (namro)
- i can carry more speed through turn 1 and 2....but I won't lol
- i have a lot of room to brake later into turn 10 (back straight). for example lap 1 i am braking miles too early
- the 3.8 RS sounds like sex on wheels
- many little areas on inconsistent speeds here and there that are not optimal, but wtv

While analyzing the data, in lap 3 of the vid i gain about 0.5-0.6 seconds through just turn 6 and 7 as compared to my 1:57.8 lap...so I maintain that I can reach that 1:57 goal I have!

onto the vid

Last edited by GewoW; 05-11-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #532
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Agreed - it was really fun - I think one of my better track days overall. Funny thing is, not only did it run well, but it also didn't fail along the way like my 335 did (and like that guy's with meth... Anthony, I don't think it was the intake).

are you talking about your gopro? this is why I got some Chinese batteries for it. 5 bucks for a pair with a car charger. the stock one alone is useless.
yes. i'll take it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #533
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

@ Gewow

I see you're taking Canauts line going into turn 4. I was wondering if anyone would try that after his video.

I had tried using 2'nd gear at those 2 areas and found it to be not beneficial to me. Yes we are nowhere into our power curve in 3'rd there (6mt) and most every car pulls in those 2 spots with us being in 3'rd.

That white GT3 should have let you pass the first time you got up his ass on the straight. Hate when that happens.

That was a fun video to watch

Where did you get your CG lock?

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #534
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Lol... Ken, is this you he is referring to?

-Il est anormal que vous couper le gazon lors de votre tour de chauffe a 9h02.

-Il interdit sortir de votre voiture sur la piste a moins d'avoir un risque de feu !

-Vous ne devez JAMAIS quitter votre véhicule sur la piste surtout quand les voitures roulent autour de vous. Des que vous ouvrer la porte de votre voiture c'est un drapeau rouge pour tout le monde sur la piste et on doit tous rentrer dans les pits

-Vous ne devez pas détacher et enlever votre casque sur la piste et sur la voie de sortie.

-Interdit enlever votre casque sur la piste !!!

He didnt mention anything about that Boxster with brake lights that weren't working!!

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #535
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:

-Il interdit sortir de votre voiture sur la piste a moins d'avoir un risque de feu !

-Vous ne devez JAMAIS quitter votre véhicule sur la piste surtout quand les voitures roulent autour de vous. Des que vous ouvrer la porte de votre voiture c'est un drapeau rouge pour tout le monde sur la piste et on doit tous rentrer dans les pits

-Vous ne devez pas détacher et enlever votre casque sur la piste et sur la voie de sortie.

He didnt mention anything about that Boxster with brake lights that weren't working!!
that was the P group running at 9:00

so no
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #536
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Tony, any fast laps you filmed?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #537
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Great Video George. Very smooth. I did notice that I would catch up to you rather easily on turn 1 and 2 and at end of back straight (but not that easily there). Exactly like you mention as your weak areas.

everywhere else we were either the same or you were faster. Straight acceleration... no contest.

we really don't shift at the same places. Have you tried down-shifting at different areas?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #538
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

There was a S2000 that spun just before bridge on our warmup lap of our first session at 9h20. What a goof.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #539
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Tony, any fast laps you filmed?
My GoPros are on the fritz. they shut down after 10 to 20 minutes and the interior shots are great but the view outside the windscreen is too bright ... can't see a thing.

I think I need new batteries.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #540
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Tony: what can I say... You are Mr consistent. I call you the teacher

You guys are definitely giving me the itch to track again... Maybe ill join the next big group at LCMT with Viperclub. I like the fact you can bring friends on laps.

I'm so far only signed up with BMW club for aug 19 and 20'th. who else is coming to this? Jerry and Nick are both signed up as well. Would love to get a big group like yesterday.

Also had fun driving up and stopping off at Jerry's on our way up to LcMt with Catherine, Moe and Fahad.

Catherine, when's the next meet? Wouldn't Jerry's restaurant with the terrace on a nice day be a cool drive and rest stop for bfast or brunch? Hint hint....

Thanks for the compliment. Sub 2 minutes is now the norm even with shoddy tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #541
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Great pics Nvez! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #542
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

post whoring not as good as kenneth but still good.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #543
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

ASE Today

For the snobs among you out there, my track report is that it is quite a lot of fun

We should all do it! I was a little apprehensive given so many mention it's close to the walls etc. It is quite technical and fun. First run was follow the leader, which helped with the orientation, then I asked for an instructor for my second run, did not go so well. After riding in his 135, where he insanely passed everyone in the instructor group, my next 2 sessions went greeeeat! It's hard to time the entry to the bus stop every time, because you need to thread the needle! will need practice.

I am definitely going back! I think you guys will enjoy a few runs there....
      05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #544
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
post whoring not as good as kenneth but still good.
I agree!
      05-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #545
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. Sub 2 minutes is now the norm even with shoddy tires.
Soon for me!
      05-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #546
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

post whore!

Great vid Georgeeee!
      05-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #547
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Wow. Sounds like I missed out on a great track day with a soupçon of drama. Great pics and video. I'm happy the CG-Lock worked out for George. Makes a big difference. A more snug race type seat even better. Hopefully I can get an Icar or ASE session to test out the car before the next event.
      05-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #548
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Wow. Sounds like I missed out on a great track day with a soupçon of drama. Great pics and video. I'm happy the CG-Lock worked out for George. Makes a big difference. A more snug race type seat even better. Hopefully I can get an Icar or ASE session to test out the car before the next event.
And how are you doing? When are you scheduled for track?
      05-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #549
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
@ Gewow

I see you're taking Canauts line going into turn 4. I was wondering if anyone would try that after his video.

I had tried using 2'nd gear at those 2 areas and found it to be not beneficial to me. Yes we are nowhere into our power curve in 3'rd there (6mt) and most every car pulls in those 2 spots with us being in 3'rd.

That white GT3 should have let you pass the first time you got up his ass on the straight. Hate when that happens.

That was a fun video to watch

Where did you get your CG lock?
You know, I didn't even consider that there was ANOTHER line to do turn 4 in. An instructor showed it to me years ago, and it was SO much more efficient that I have always been taking it. Now that I think about it, it's probably not the most obvious one....

Quote:

Quote:
There was a S2000 that spun just before bridge on our warmup lap of our first session at 9h20. What a goof.
Nah they were probably referring to the S2000. Warmup lap, seriously?!??

Ken: re: ASE, I don't know why people hate on it. It's not a bad little track. It's just the douches that go there on Monday nights make the experience less fun. With a decent club, I think it's a nice track to run. Too bad it costs so much to rent, I wouldn't mind just renting it with a few guys - but not for 3K.
      05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #550
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
You know, I didn't even consider that there was ANOTHER line to do turn 4 in. An instructor showed it to me years ago, and it was SO much more efficient that I have always been taking it. Now that I think about it, it's probably not the most obvious one....

Nah they were probably referring to the S2000. Warmup lap, seriously?!??

Ken: re: ASE, I don't know why people hate on it. It's not a bad little track. It's just the douches that go there on Monday nights make the experience less fun. With a decent club, I think it's a nice track to run. Too bad it costs so much to rent, I wouldn't mind just renting it with a few guys - but not for 3K.
3k, 10-15 people, 2-300$ each. full day unlimited tracking...pretty decent to me
Appreciate 0