E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Getting Ready for Valve Cover Gasket DIY

08-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Getting Ready for Valve Cover Gasket DIY

Just what the subject says - I'm gearing up to replace my Valve Cover Gasket. I found oil in my plugs and on my coils and am getting really crappy gas mileage. I have 58k miles. I hope the VCG is not cracked and just the gasket needs replacing.

I've done a lot of research. I've taken several DIY's and written my own listing everything I will need in terms of parts, actions, etc.

So far for Parts I have:
- Valve Cover Gasket package (includes the gasket and all three types of bolts)
- Socket wrenches and various size sockets
- Hand wrenches of various sizes
- Old school torque wrench (the needle one)
- Tiny flat screw driver to remove various clips, O2 sensors, etc.
- 7mm tap in case bolts break
- Shop towels (to soak up fuel when removing the fuel line and clean gasket surface)
- Brake cleaner (to help clean the gasket surface)
- Plastic putty knifes (tools used to clean the gasket surface)

What are the different size socket wrenches and hand wrenches I will need? I didn't notice the sizes listed in any DIYs.

Do I need to buy socket wrench swivels and extensions?

What else do you suggest I can do or buy to help make this successful?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

It sounds like you have everything covered, though a universal joint or swivel socket of sorts will certainly help you with a few of the harder to reach bolts along with a few extensions.

Also, you mentioned removing a fuel line, but I did not have to remove any fuel lines when doing this job. You can just unplug the injectors from the fuel rail and move the rail out of the way with the line still attached (if I remember right...it was last winter so I'm not positive)

Get a new gasket for the eccentric shaft sensor and change that while you're in there. It's a common source for leaks. Also check the eccentric shaft sensor itself. Sometimes they crack and oil leaks into the connector causing a variety of issues

Edit: Just realized you have a 335 and I have a 328, so my comments regarding the fuel line are likely invalid since your application is likely different
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Get an assortment of e-torx sockets, they will be useful
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Thanks, very helpful. I meant to say fuel "rail" in the original post. I won't be messing with the actual fuel line lol

I appreciate it. Any more helpful tips or tricks from those who have done this operation?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Thanks, very helpful. I meant to say fuel "rail" in the original post. I won't be messing with the actual fuel line lol

I appreciate it. Any more helpful tips or tricks from those who have done this operation?
Had a few more thoughts. Extra rags so you can plug the spark plug holes to prevent debris from falling in. Also a pair of small c-clip pliers, as they make removal of the spark guards much easier. Be careful, the guards are a thin metal and if you're rough with them you can damage the small holes on top (where the c-clip pliers grab it). You'll understand what I mean when you get in there. Other than that just have patience. There is not a lot of clearance between the cylinder head and firewall to get that damn cover off
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

If the bolts for the valve cover are so weak why can't we just find out the thread size and replace them with stronger bolts?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman
If the bolts for the valve cover are so weak why can't we just find out the thread size and replace them with stronger bolts?
The cylinder head is an aluminum magnesium alloy, the bolts must be made of a softer metal (aluminum) to avoid stripping the threads in the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0