E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Skilled Suspension Fettlers - FAO Idnan

09-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Skilled Suspension Fettlers - FAO Idnan

Hi all,

I guess the main focus of this thread will be Idnan as I believe he has had Ohlins suspension fitted and set up properly, but I could be wrong. Views definitely welcomed from others all the same!

I am seriously considering purchasing the Ohlins road and track suspension kit in the next few weeks. I've weighed this up against the Birds B3 kit (which is still very much in the running) and I've decided that IF I go for the Ohlins kit, I need to make sure I have it set up properly.

I just wondered therefore if anyone has experienced a proper suspension tuning shop that they could reccomend. Preferrably as close to Leeds as possible, though not essential. Darren Wood might be perfectly alright to be fair, but I have no idea really - I'm thinking if I am investing so much to begin with, I'd like to do the job properly.

Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Hey Matt,

I didn't actually go for Ohlins as they wanted an extra £750ish for the m3 version which I needed due to my rear end setup. Therefore I went for a custom set of AST 4100s which came in at a good price and I have since changed the spring rates again for a better on road feel.

As far as Ohlins vs Birds B3 is concerned, if money was no object then I would go for the Ohlins without a doubt. Ask anyone who has ever been in a car equipped with Ohlins and they will never have a bad thing to say about them.

Saying that I know there is a chap on here with a grey 325i running Ohlins, think his name is Phil IIRC.

I would get motorsport company to set the car up for you. Someone like Spires who come with a good reputation would be a place to contact.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Why get something setup independantly when Birds have done all the work for you in development ?

Its a no brainer for me and defo my next mod. All the testimonials cant be wrong. I suppose it also depends what your going to use the car for.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I am definitely not ruling out the Birds setup just yet Omar and I agree with your point of view in the main. I'm just curious about the Ohlins option and need to weigh up the various merits of each.

Idnan - can you confirm roughly what prices you were looking at? I think the M3 option is about £2400 inc VAT and the non M3 around £1800. Does that stack up with what you were quoted and if not, would you mind dropping me a PM (or posting here) about where the quote came from?

Am I right in thinking that the key difference is that the M3 ones have adjustable damping pressure in addition to the adjustable height - or something to that effect? I don't need the M3 ones as you can probably imagine.... I guess where you saved money on the diff by fitting an M3 subframe, I could save money here lol!!!

As it happens I've found a place in Barnsley that stocks them AND is a race company - so you can imagine where I am currently leaning for fitment if I do buy them

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

You going to be tracking this car mate ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
You going to be tracking this car mate ?
Not a crazy amount. I guess about 2-3 times a year.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Idnan - can you confirm roughly what prices you were looking at? I think the M3 option is about £2400 inc VAT and the non M3 around £1800. Does that stack up with what you were quoted and if not, would you mind dropping me a PM (or posting here) about where the quote came from?

Am I right in thinking that the key difference is that the M3 ones have adjustable damping pressure in addition to the adjustable height - or something to that effect? I don't need the M3 ones as you can probably imagine.... I guess where you saved money on the diff by fitting an M3 subframe, I could save money here lol!!!

As it happens I've found a place in Barnsley that stocks them AND is a race company - so you can imagine where I am currently leaning for fitment if I do buy them

Matt
I was going to buy mine through the group buy on cutters but dropped out due to the reason mentioned in my previous post. There is a lot of information on that thread:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70189

I haven't read of any differences between the m3 and non m3 versions apart from mounting points and that the m3 version has height adjustable bottom mounts at the front which the non-m version doesn't have.

IMO if you are considering track use then go for the Ohlins, if not then the Birds kit is an excellent road setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Oh and just to add, £1800inc is a great price
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Coolio, thanks for all the help mate.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think Marcel got Ohlins suspension...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I think Marcel got Ohlins suspension...
He definitely does, yeah!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Yes I have Ohlins R&T. Had them fitted by an approved Ohlins agent, Aurok Ltd (but miles from Leeds I'm afraid). Go on the R&T website:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/

click on 'Where To Buy' and all the UK approved stockist are listed. Mick Gardner Racing looks like your nearest...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi mate,

Thanks for the post - yeah Mick Gardener is who I'm talking to. Seem like good blokes.

How are you finding the kit?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Look forward to seeing what you do Matt!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
How are you finding the kit?
In a word - excellent! An amazing combo of improved handling with the holy grail of better ride quality.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0