E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Transit plates from CT in MA; do the cops enforce it?

05-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Transit plates from CT in MA; do the cops enforce it?

technically, MA does not recognize any temporary or transit plates from any other states
but how anal are the cops about it?
i had to let the CT dealer do the registration and now i have no idea how long it'll take them to get my plates ready and sent , so my car is essentially grounded (i got it home alright though, although it was late at night)

will cops pull you over immediately if they see a transit plate?

EDIT; to be clear, what I mean is can I drive around normally with transit plates without worry? and just claim I'm driving home from the dealer if I get pulled over? The car is already in my driveway, I got it last Thursday, its just the dealer hasn't gotten my plates yet..,

Stock as stock can be (for now)

Last edited by joekitch; 05-28-2014 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Well, they're neighboring states so I don't see how it'd be such a monumental problem that they'd "punish" you for your new purchase... If you got your car from a far state like Florida or Wisconsin it'd raise an eyebrow, but then again I had a friend that drove around here in California for 3 months with Texas temp plates without incident, although that's not saying much for other states vs. Massachusetts.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

I had to drive my car(s) from VT, through MA, to where I reside in CT. No problemo. Don't speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Rockwell
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I've been driving around Massachusetts for a month with temporary paper Indiana tags. No problems
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Mass does not recognize temp plates for Mass residents. If you are a CT resident then you are fine. If you are a Mass resident, you need plates. I know my dealer was scrambling on Friday with runners at Mass RMV's trying to secure plates for customers to pick up their cars over the weekend since the RMV was closing for the holiday.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
I've been driving around Massachusetts for a month with temporary paper Indiana tags. No problems
well shoot

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch
technically, MA does not recognize any temporary or transit plates from any other states
but how anal are the cops about it?
i had to let the CT dealer do the registration and now i have no idea how long it'll take them to get my plates ready and sent , so my car is essentially grounded (i got it home alright though, although it was late at night)

will cops pull you over immediately if they see a transit plate?

EDIT; to be clear, what I mean is can I drive around normally with transit plates without worry? and just claim I'm driving home from the dealer if I get pulled over? The car is already in my driveway, I got it last Thursday, its just the dealer hasn't gotten my plates yet..,
Like they said...if you're a mass resident you need plates. You might get away with it, but if they do catch you, they will impound your car and treat it like you were driving with no plates at all. If you can get away with not driving it until the title comes in, I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston335xi View Post
Like they said...if you're a mass resident you need plates. You might get away with it, but if they do catch you, they will impound your car and treat it like you were driving with no plates at all. If you can get away with not driving it until the title comes in, I would.
hmm, even if i carry with me in the glove box at all times
1) bill of sale from the dealer
2) CT transit plate registration
3) insurance information
?

turns out the person that does plates at this dealership came in this morning, then immediately had to leave because she was sick. and she is the ONLY person that does plates, nobody else has any clue about the process. i have no idea when this poor girl will get better or when the plates will be made

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
hmm, even if i carry with me in the glove box at all times
1) bill of sale from the dealer
2) CT transit plate registration
3) insurance information
?

turns out the person that does plates at this dealership came in this morning, then immediately had to leave because she was sick. and she is the ONLY person that does plates, nobody else has any clue about the process. i have no idea when this poor girl will get better or when the plates will be made
Correct. I got my car from Ohio and didn't know the deal either.

All you need from the dealer is a title transferred to you. You should be able to go to the rmv and get your own plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #10
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

All you need from the dealer is a title transferred to you. You should be able to go to the rmv and get your own plates.
sadly no, because the car is financed they have to do it all in-dealer, presumably so the title doesn't get mis-applied or something that my credit union is worried about

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

sadly no, because the car is financed they have to do it all in-dealer, presumably so the title doesn't get mis-applied or something that my credit union is worried about
Your title should have both your name and the creditors on it. The dealership is doing something funky. How are they going to get you mass plates? You need a mass title to get mass plates which requires going to the rmv. What is taking longer than a day to get the title? they should be able to go to the clerk and get it done the next business day.

You should get the title, bring it to the rmv, and then the rmv mails the new title(which is now a mass title) to the creditor. You get the plates to put on the car. End of story.

I would call the dealership tomorrow and call their bullshit. Whatever they need to do should only take one business day anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your title should have both your name and the creditors on it. The dealership is doing something funky. How are they going to get you mass plates? You need a mass title to get mass plates which requires going to the rmv. What is taking longer than a day to get the title? they should be able to go to the clerk and get it done the next business day.

You should get the title, bring it to the rmv, and then the rmv mails the new title(which is now a mass title) to the creditor. You get the plates to put on the car. End of story.

I would call the dealership tomorrow and call their bullshit. Whatever they need to do should only take one business day anyway.
supposedly; they only just got the title today (i called them a few hours ago), and they overnight it to some special DMV service, who does the processing, then overnights it back to the dealer with the plates, who then do something, then overnight it to me

but i'll give them a call and see if i can chew them out enough to just overnight the title TO ME instead

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Boston335xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

supposedly; they only just got the title today (i called them a few hours ago), and they overnight it to some special DMV service, who does the processing, then overnights it back to the dealer with the plates, who then do something, then overnight it to me

but i'll give them a call and see if i can chew them out enough to just overnight the title TO ME instead
If they don't trust that you'll get the car registered properly, why did they give you a car on the cuff? The title will have their name on it, if they were the creditor. Seems like poor risk management either way you look at it...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:38 AM   #14
Mick the Quick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive 4D 6MT

My car is registered and titled in MA. I bought it as a CPO in New Jersey in January. It was a royal pain the ass to register in MA, even though the dealer already had the title (in its own name) in hand. The problem was that, like you, I financed with BMWFS and the dealer had to make sure that it appeared on the title as a lienholder and they wouldn't trust me to do it correctly at the RMV.

Note that MA has a 7-day grace period for those who are transferring an existing registration to a new/used vehicle. But this is not available if this would be a new registration. http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/regs/reg2.htm

I relied on this provision for a week, but the dealer wouldn't send me the RMV-1 and the title, kept saying "it's coming tomorrow" until I read them the riot act and harassed the folks who are handling this (multiple calls and emails every day). Took forever. Ultimately, they cut me a check for the MA sales tax they collected at the time of sale and gave me all the paperwork, including the title and RMV-1, which they probably weren't supposed to. I had to go the RMV twice (the first time I had to fix an error they made), and wasted so much time and experienced much aggravation.

Good luck, bro. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mick

P.S. Just like everything else, you can do whatever you want. But prepared to face the consequences, however unlikely. While a cop might let you off the hook (just like any other potential traffic violation), there can be no assurance. Just because individual members tell you that they got away with it, that doesn't mean that those anecdotal experience would necessarily apply to you. Ultimately, you have to weigh your need to drive the car (i.e., no other car available) against the potential (however small) of getting busted. If you get stopped and you think that the cop might give you a ticket for driving without registration, be sure to have a discussion when he comes up to your car the first time. They cannot "unwrite" a ticket once it is written.

Last edited by Mick the Quick; 05-29-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I got mine from CT and had the paper plates on for a month no problemo. Actually went over the month as BMW had a problem with my title.

PS: As Mick said ^^ It was a gigantic pain even though BMW of Hartford was doing the "work" for me. After all my headache, I put a value on my time/effort/headache and I would have paid $2,500 more locally to avoid it. Lesson learned
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
I got mine from CT and had the paper plates on for a month no problemo. Actually went over the month as BMW had a problem with my title.

PS: As Mick said ^^ It was a gigantic pain even though BMW of Hartford was doing the "work" for me. After all my headache, I put a value on my time/effort/headache and I would have paid $2,500 more locally to avoid it. Lesson learned
curses
all these anecdotal pieces of evidence are tempting me very badly
if the dealer screws up my registration somehow and i dont get my plates by next tuesday, i'm going to say "F this" and risk it. i'll have every possible document in the glove box and tell any officer that stops me the whole story

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
curses
all these anecdotal pieces of evidence are tempting me very badly
if the dealer screws up my registration somehow and i dont get my plates by next tuesday, i'm going to say "F this" and risk it. i'll have every possible document in the glove box and tell any officer that stops me the whole story
You are finding out the hard way about the challenges of buying a car, with the added complexity of it being from out of state. Never pay until you are being given the title. No title, no money. Simple.

If you choose to drive the vehicle without proper registration, make sure your insurance agent is ok with the "temp" tag, as driving an uninsured vehicle is a bad idea. Being stopped by a cop is not that big a deal. Be more concerned about the unforseen accident. Many people have done this, me included, at some point in their life (mostly when young and naive). It's fine until it isn't. If you are involved in an accident during this time, the insurance company who underwrites your policy has no obligation to support you, the driver of an unregistered, uninsured vehicle. Not a good idea. It's definitely a hassle, but you should just wait. Borrow or rent a car if you need transport until the dealer completes the deal. Live and learn.

Good luck.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0