E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why do I need factory fitted sat nav in my car?

12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #67
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwp4me View Post
Thanks for for opinions guys. But that's me done. Over and out. Account closed. Thought this was a constructive forum but obviously not.
are you on your period?

you over react too much. you ask opinions you got them. In your heart you are already convinced that you don't want to buy it or spend the money on the car for your other half.

Take a Chill pill dude and enjoy the car being delivered soon!!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #68
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #69
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Strange thread

, , , , , , , ,

Had it all
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #70
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Did you honestly think 99% of the forum was going to join in and say "I-drive is a waste of time" "it's no good", "waste of money"

When actually its a good system that really is essential in this day and age.

I rekon you really thought everyone would agree with your opinion.

I had it in my E92. I also "had" to have Sat-Nav in my M3. It's not I-drive but it still is a very good command unit itself.
      12-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #71
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Perhaps the OP can do a bit of DIY

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611032
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #72
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
So when I speced my E91 335D I had to make this decision.

To be honest, the cost was such that I could have taken a 330D with iDrive or a 335D without.

You keep talking about using a free app on your phone but to be honest, if you ever travel abroad, you will regret it.

But I think the right option would be to go for a top of the range TomTom (or similar) which costs no more than £250 with a proper Brodit mount (£35).

This is exactly what I had on my E91 and I had a sat nav system far superior to the BMW system at the time with maps that were always bang up to date, full Google and online services etc etc etc

Sure having a built in system is nice but 2 years in it's going to look sooooo out of date compared to whatever BMW is fitting to the new cars and unlike the TomTom option where £250 gets you the latest and greatest, you will be stuck with the out of date BMW system until you change the car.

As for residuals.

If you are selling it privately it won't add anything to the value but some buyers may want it and therefore not look at your car against others. If trade in however, you are right, the dealer wont care
      12-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #73
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

This thread is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much WIN.

Its got the Cheshire cat factor. Smiling ear to ear baby.

So this guy really left because ppl didnt agree with his policies? Man I wish more 3rd world dictators were more like him.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #74
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwp4me View Post
Thanks for for opinions guys. But that's me done. Over and out. Account closed. Thought this was a constructive forum but obviously not.
Hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #75
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
so either way you will get rape.
Easy now, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #76
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Keep using your smart phone attached to a sucker on your windscreen.

We will keep using our residual value keeping built in Sat-Nav's LOL
Hahaha thats a classic that lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #77
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
As for residuals.

If you are selling it privately it won't add anything to the value but some buyers may want it and therefore not look at your car against others. If trade in however, you are right, the dealer wont care
I'm sorry pal, but that's simply not true.
Every finance company in the country makes an allowance to the residual value of a car with nav. If the dealer doesn't give you additional money come p/x time it's because he's sees you as a soft touch; he knows the nav car is worth more money, but tells you it isn't, so he has additional margin come sale time.

If there were two cars on a forecourt, identical in every way apart from idrive the car with I drive will be worth more. This translates down to private sales as well. To say a car with idrive is worth no more than one without is simply not true.

As for the quality of the system; I don't think anyone with idrive would try to argue that the actual navigation element of the nav could even compete with the latest external unit. But, whilst a brodit mount is unarguably a much nicer solution than circles all over the windscreen, cables trailing all over the place look pony.

As has already been covered extensively, the idrive is also a lot more than navigation; I can recall trying to scroll through the contents of my iPod via the standard 'business' head unit and it was ridiculous, one line of text at a time.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #78
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
IIf the dealer doesn't give you additional money come p/x time it's because he's sees you as a soft touch; he knows the nav car is worth more money, but tells you it isn't, so he has additional margin come sale time.
That's kind of where I was coming from.

Dealers will tell you ANYTHING they think they can get away with at PX time.

Quote:
If there were two cars on a forecourt, identical in every way apart from idrive the car with I drive will be worth more. This translates down to private sales as well. To say a car with idrive is worth no more than one without is simply not true.
True but the OP was talking about PX and of course none of this would benefit the PX'er

Quote:
As for the quality of the system; I don't think anyone with idrive would try to argue that the actual navigation element of the nav could even compete with the latest external unit. But, whilst a brodit mount is unarguably a much nicer solution than circles all over the windscreen, cables trailing all over the place look pony.

As has already been covered extensively, the idrive is also a lot more than navigation; I can recall trying to scroll through the contents of my iPod via the standard 'business' head unit and it was ridiculous, one line of text at a time.
Don't disagree but fast forward 3 years and the comparison is very different.

You also have to question a lot of these features. Both my current car and the one before played DVDs, could access Facebook, read emails etc etc etc but in reality beyond listening to music and navigation how often do these features get used once you mates have got bored of you demonstrating them in the company car park? I mean do you use the Facebook and Twitter apps on your C63?

iDrive IS a great system but I suspect a lot of owners will never use more than the very basic functions at which point, a good quality stand alone PND (not a free app) will be just as good for a fraction of the cost.
      12-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #79
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So just to clarify....

Mwp4me member reaction to I drive...

General consesus from E90Post UK members.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #80
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
its ok if you use it with common sense

like that i can send post codes and coordinates from google maps, post code and street data base is poor

i find it picks crap routes, despite the route settings including auto re-route, traffic is crap but that is as much to do with the information supplier, doesn't tell you far enough in advance for junctions, and not clear at complex junctions.

for a time i did go back to a tom tom on a brodit that i had in the previous car and that was far better in terms of routing, re-routing and traffic
but i found the distance between me and the location on the dash in the car off putting

ran both together as a trial and the tom tom picked better routes and advised of traffic incidents that the bmw system didn't know about

its overpriced, wife's Renault system is based on tom tom for £400 and is better than bmws for £1500/£1900.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #81
MPD78
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport 2008

It does pick some odd routes. I've had my car for a month now and to try the sat nav I set it for some routes that I know very well and it definitely didn't take me the best way. Saying that though, that's when I know the route. I've used it when going to new places and it got me there no problem so I'm happy. As for the postcode thing, who cares! Even if you do a protracted input by town/city, then road, then house number it literally takes one minute so it's no big deal. Of course it's not as good as a TomTom but we all know that. As a recent buyer of a second hand bimmer, iDrive was a must for me due to the whole package it provides and it's look on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #82
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR

So far I've used my navigation 3 times and 3 times it's taken me to the wrong place. I'd be better off with apple maps (which has actually got me to the right place when the BMW nav has failed me.

I blame this on having version 2008-2 maps and no postcodes. I already told the BMW person who called me asking about whether I was satisfied with my car that it's absolutely pathetic that an approved used car from a dealer doesn't come with the latest maps and postcodes when it costs them nothing to update them.

Would I change my mind about my navigation requirement if I were buying my car again? Hell no! The only thing I'd do is push the salesman to update the maps before I commit my deposit! Even if it's not the greatest system to use, it's the least-distracting system as it's operated from tactile feedback on a click wheel and has a much clearer, larger display than any tomtom.

I also highly recommend Sygic on iPhone for those who want a great navigation app. It's one of the best navigation apps I've used and it's only £40 for full europe unlimited map updates etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #83
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmit View Post
So far I've used my navigation 3 times and 3 times it's taken me to the wrong place. I'd be better off with apple maps (which has actually got me to the right place when the BMW nav has failed me.

I blame this on having version 2008-2 maps and no postcodes. I already told the BMW person who called me asking about whether I was satisfied with my car that it's absolutely pathetic that an approved used car from a dealer doesn't come with the latest maps and postcodes when it costs them nothing to update them.

Would I change my mind about my navigation requirement if I were buying my car again? Hell no! The only thing I'd do is push the salesman to update the maps before I commit my deposit! Even if it's not the greatest system to use, it's the least-distracting system as it's operated from tactile feedback on a click wheel and has a much clearer, larger display than any tomtom.

I also highly recommend Sygic on iPhone for those who want a great navigation app. It's one of the best navigation apps I've used and it's only £40 for full europe unlimited map updates etc.
I find out that inputting the right address is a nightmare, but you will get the hang off it when you get use to it. Its inputing the 5 digit postcode then select the one that is in the right area then choose the street and building number. Don't even dream about findind retail location located in busy A or B roads..

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #84
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
I find out that inputting the right address is a nightmare, but you will get the hang off it when you get use to it. Its inputing the 5 digit postcode then select the one that is in the right area then choose the street and building number. Don't even dream about findind retail location located in busy A or B roads..
Mine doesn't have 5-digit postcodes. It's truly laughable on a car made in 2009.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #85
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine doesn't have 5-digit postcodes. It's truly laughable on a car made in 2009.
what car are you talking about then? isnt all E9X sat nav old system was 5 digit postcode?

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #86
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So far I've used my navigation 3 times and 3 times it's taken me to the wrong place.
That's not the problem of the sat nav it's a user issue!

It will take you to the exact spot you program. If you end up in the wrong place it's because you did not specify the destination precisely enough - OK I know that can be difficult, but it takes you where you tell it to take you - always!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #87
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

I like the split display, its useful to be able to see what is up ahead. I use Idrive for the phone, radio and MP3 on the HDD. But as a sat nav I find it poor compared to Google Navigator , so I dont use Sat Nav facility.
I went to germany last year, the Idrive coudnt find the 'Ring or even Nurburg itself !
If the question is, is it a good Sat Nav then no it isnt by a long way (no full post code search and no map updates) , but Idrive is not just about Sat Nav.
      12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #88
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
That's not the problem of the sat nav it's a user issue!

It will take you to the exact spot you program. If you end up in the wrong place it's because you did not specify the destination precisely enough - OK I know that can be difficult, but it takes you where you tell it to take you - always!
No, it's because it doesn't have full postcodes so if you try to put one in you're forced to approximate to where it thinks you should go. If you knew precisely where you wanted to navigate to, you wouldn't really need navigation would you?
Appreciate 0