E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Swapping sunroof shade? Impossible to instal?

07-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Swapping sunroof shade? Impossible to instal?

I'm having some major issues replacing the sunroof shade, over the weekend I removed the sunroof glass, and my stock sunroof shade with the 6 screws that hold the glass on and pryed the front two guides from their track. However the rear tracks were extremely difficult to remove. I essentially had to rip the rear off and apply so much force that it slightly bent the guides on the shade

Anyways, for those of you who have done this job, can you provide any tips for getting the rear sunroof shade guides in?

The primary issue is that I can slide the rear tracks into their rails, and if I remove the rear tracks I can get the sunroof shade lip into it's retainer that prevents it from going to too far forward but it's impossible to get the thing in the tracks and underthe retainer at the same time.

I'm pretty confused as to how to instal this part at this point, it just seems to be physically impossible.

Help?

The issue is that there are metal stoppers in the cavity that the shade goes into which makes it so that you have to drop the shade in from a 45 degree angle like this:

The problem is that on both sides the sunroof shade can't slide into the rails because the retaining clips simply don't allow it (see image blelow). I tried with a spare set of clips and I used so much force they bent out of shape and didn't work right. I'm thinking of just cutting the clips short.

Here's what the metal stopper looks like:

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER

Last edited by Legion5; 07-19-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
Too much strength and not taking a step back and looking at ways to finesse it. Sometimes you can put one rear corner of the shade in at kind of a 45 degree angle, then rotate the shade and carefully slide the other corner into the groove.

Nick
      07-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
i think the headliner needs to be dropped down
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

The headliner is already removed. The sunroof shade is installed from above by removing the sunroof glass. Updated with pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
Now that I look at it again, i think you need to remove the rain shield at the back of the opening. I did this job, but it was 2 years ago.

Nick
      03-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
b_ro_rainman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Did you ever manage to get it in there? If so can you share the way you did it?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

bumping this to see if anyone has any insight? I am about to tackle this job and any tips/tricks would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
still in school
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

anyone ever figure out how to get the sun shade out??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Bump.

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
ahmadarifai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

removing the sunroof shade

it is an easy job to remove the sunroof shade after removing the rain gutter.

do NOT try to remove before removing the rain gutter it will snap!

the part need not to be replaced. just wash the cloth with some soap and reinstall when dry using some pattex or UHU clear Glue. also you need to brush the old orange foam from shade for secure attachment.

the handle on the shade can be levered easily to install cloth propely.

the whole thing costed 20$ for the glue and torx tool.

below link for additional info.

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se..._tilt_sunroof/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Weezey
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/Sport Pkg

Rain gutter disconnected. How do you get the clips on the actual shade freed from the rails?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
Weezey
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w/Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezey View Post
Rain gutter disconnected. How do you get the clips on the actual shade freed from the rails?
Answered my own question after taking a loger look at the sunroof shade clips. Here are some pics.

Use a small screwdriver to lift out these little nuggets. Just get the screwdriver and gently pry them up. Be careful as they are really small not to lose them. Once you have them out, you can compress the spring in the clip to clear the rails.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezey View Post
Answered my own question after taking a loger look at the sunroof shade clips. Here are some pics.

Use a small screwdriver to lift out these little nuggets. Just get the screwdriver and gently pry them up. Be careful as they are really small not to lose them. Once you have them out, you can compress the spring in the clip to clear the rails.
Thanks for the updates.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Weezey so once you removed the rain gutters, and those little pieces from the clips, all you had to do was press in the 4 clips and the shade comes right out..?? I'm doing this after work and just want to plan ahead lol.. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Just noticed Weezey only has 9 posts in 2 years lol, so anyone else who has done this please feel free to chime in..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
viny741
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 m40i brooklyn grey

Hey guys, my shade just took a shitter -- been looking for a DIY or any information, to no avail. This is the most helpful thread i have been able to find.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! want to avoid shelling out 200+ for someone to do this
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Just noticed Weezey only has 9 posts in 2 years lol, so anyone else who has done this please feel free to chime in..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #17
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viny741 View Post
Hey guys, my shade just took a shitter -- been looking for a DIY or any information, to no avail. This is the most helpful thread i have been able to find.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! want to avoid shelling out 200+ for someone to do this
Hey bro, having just done this I can give you a pretty good run down on what to do..

Ok so...

1. Move your sunshade back as far as it goes.
2. Tilt your sunroof.
3. Remove the 2 accordion rubber pieces from the inside part of the sunroof, one on each side.
4. Remove the 6 - T-25 screws from within the car on the sunroof, 3 on each side.
5. From outside the car grip the raised part of the sunroof that's tilted, and lift up while exposing the front part of the glass to grasp with your other hand, and remove. (I had my trunk open prior to this step, and just placed my sunroof in the trunk during this operation)
6. Slide your sunshade forward, and pop out the 2 hangers for the rain gutter, 1 on each side giving you access to the 2 tabs on the rear of the sunshade.
7. Using a small flathead, pry up on the small square pieces inside each of the 4 retaining clips.
8. Compress the clips while shimmying the sunroof off the track.
9. You're done, install is reverse except when you get to the part where you're installing the 6 sunroof T-25 screws, you may need to adjust the sunroof up and down to find the right fit.. It's minimal in movement but I had some wind noise while driving so I adjusted mine and it worked perfect after..

This pics above in this thread shows the little small clips and all that..

good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Hey bro, having just done this I can give you a pretty good run down on what to do..

Ok so...

2. Tilt your sunroof.
3. Remove the 2 accordion rubber pieces from the inside part of the sunroof, one on each side.
4. Remove the 6 - T-25 screws from within the car on the sunroof, 3 on each side.
5. From outside the car grip the raised part of the sunroof that's tilted, and lift up while exposing the front part of the glass to grasp with your other hand, and remove. (I had my trunk open prior to this step, and just placed my sunroof in the trunk during this operation)
6. Slide your sunshade forward, and pop out the 2 hangers for the rain gutter, 1 on each side giving you access to the 2 tabs on the rear of the sunshade.
7. Using a small flathead, pry up on the small square pieces inside each of the 4 retaining clips.
9. You're done, install is reverse except when you get to the part where you're installing the 6 sunroof T-25 screws, you may need to adjust the sunroof up and down to find the right fit.. It's minimal in movement but I had some wind noise while driving so I adjusted mine and it worked perfect after..

good luck!
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I replaced mine tonight and it was pretty easy with your instructions.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #19
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I replaced mine tonight and it was pretty easy with your instructions.
You're welcome brother, glad it worked out for you..!

I'm actually contemplating doing my headliner and pillars in black now haha so stay tuned, I may have a more descriptive write up with some pics and what not..
Appreciate 1
JStang562.00
      05-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

Ok so...

2. Tilt your sunroof.

good luck!
So i had my sunshade re-done in black and the guy broke all the clips. Anyone know where I can source them as i can only find ones for E46? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #21
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubansailor View Post
So i had my sunshade re-done in black and the guy broke all the clips. Anyone know where I can source them as i can only find ones for E46? Thanks
I would imagine it depends on how badly they are broke.. If the whole clip is broke u may need a new sunshade.. Do you have pics..?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
aryb
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i

First post here

Quote:

Ok so...

2. Tilt your sunroof.

good luck!
Hey, not sure if this is the right way to ask a question on this. Planning to do this myself because the fabric on my sunshade fell off. Is it doable without removing the headliner ? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0