E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb AP not what I expected.....Comments?

03-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black 335i

Cobb AP not what I expected.....Comments?

I received my AP 2 days ago, and was pleased with the build quality of the product. Installation went smooth took about 20 minutes to instal map 1 91 octane. (exactly as advertised). Started up the car, got an error code (unrecognized software) used the AP to clear the code, no problems. Car is actually idling smoother than before. Pull out of the parking garage, feels about the same as stock. I drive around for a bit to let the oil temp come up and head on to the highway to see what my butt dyno thinks. First impression is great! definately pulls hard, very smooth no hiccups. 150 kph comes in a hurry. After a few WOT runs in 3rd 4th and 5th I'm impressed with the extra power. The tires actually spun in 3rd!
So here's my issue............. after I settle down a bit and start to really get a feel for the drivability I'm noticing that even at 1/3 throttle the car is pulling like a freight train. I plugged the AP into the port to get some live read outs and see that even at 1/3 throttle the boost is shooting up to 14.4. and when I back off the throttle a bit the boost drops with a noticeable lurch. Increased throttle response is nice, but this seems excessive. The extra power is great, but if I can't modulate that power, whats the point? I track my car quite a bit (which was my main reason for the tune) but I'm concerned about the overall driveability. I don't want to be in a high speed corner and spin out when the boost kicks in because my toe twitched.
I've read that some people feel the tune gets better as it adapts to your driving, is this true? Has anyone else had similar issues? or am I just crazy? Do other tunes have a similar throttle response? Are my expectations too high? I sent Cobb tech an email with no response so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
fla10335i
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeeper Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92OCD View Post
I received my AP 2 days ago, and was pleased with the build quality of the product. Installation went smooth took about 20 minutes to instal map 1 91 octane. (exactly as advertised). Started up the car, got an error code (unrecognized software) used the AP to clear the code, no problems. Car is actually idling smoother than before. Pull out of the parking garage, feels about the same as stock. I drive around for a bit to let the oil temp come up and head on to the highway to see what my butt dyno thinks. First impression is great! definately pulls hard, very smooth no hiccups. 150 kph comes in a hurry. After a few WOT runs in 3rd 4th and 5th I'm impressed with the extra power. The tires actually spun in 3rd!
So here's my issue............. after I settle down a bit and start to really get a feel for the drivability I'm noticing that even at 1/3 throttle the car is pulling like a freight train. I plugged the AP into the port to get some live read outs and see that even at 1/3 throttle the boost is shooting up to 14.4. and when I back off the throttle a bit the boost drops with a noticeable lurch. Increased throttle response is nice, but this seems excessive. The extra power is great, but if I can't modulate that power, whats the point? I track my car quite a bit (which was my main reason for the tune) but I'm concerned about the overall driveability. I don't want to be in a high speed corner and spin out when the boost kicks in because my toe twitched.
I've read that some people feel the tune gets better as it adapts to your driving, is this true? Has anyone else had similar issues? or am I just crazy? Do other tunes have a similar throttle response? Are my expectations too high? I sent Cobb tech an email with no response so far.
So wait...you don't like it b/c it it's too responsive for you? I know how to fix it. Uninstall the AP and mail it to me.

I would assume you would get used to it but i'm not sure b/c I am waiting for my Cobb AP later.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Pathy01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I'm hoping they will eventually offer tunes with different throttle mapping. I had an AP for my JCW MINI and there were a bunch of different throttle maps available including a linear map that made modulation great. I'd love to get an option like that for the 335.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
You have 30-day period to evaluate. Why not try another tune and compare. Its really the only way to go about things.

Since you are local to me we can always put a JB4 in your car and you can compare the different feel and then decide what you like better. There is nothing better then hands on comparison, especially in terms of driving feel as its very subjective.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You have 30-day period to evaluate. Why not try another tune and compare. Its really the only way to go about things.

Since you are local to me we can always put a JB4 in your car and you can compare the different feel and then decide what you like better. There is nothing better then hands on comparison, especially in terms of driving feel as its very subjective.

Mike
so is this type of throttle response normal for the cobb? Does it adapt over time?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If its any consolation with ATR coming out you will be able to adjust that. You will be able to re-write the boost tables for your liking.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
chocobo15
(X_X) O-(^.^Q)
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

i dont have that kind of response with mine. i drove mine normally for a good 40 miles before opening up WOT after i flashed stage 1 map. I pulled 2-3 times, then returned to normal driving for another 50 miles or so.

I'm a conservative driver overall, but every once in a while i let it rip. When i drive normally, I don't fell any extreme sensitivities with the throttle. Could be due to the way the ECU has adapted to my driving.

Maybe you can reset the ECU and let it re-adapt to a more conservative driving style.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
e92bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
+1 Im sure youll appreciate the throttle response of a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

You can always try map 2.0 the throttle response is more linear.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post
You can always try map 2.0 the throttle response is more linear.
can you run map 2 safely with 91 octane? or do I have to use 93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
can you run map 2 safely with 91 octane? or do I have to use 93 octane?
There's a 91 and a 93 map for 2.0. I used the 2.0 map for a month or so before going 2.01.

2.01 was advertised as fixing something with automatics on map 93 I believe. I have a 6MT and they changed the throttle reponse from 2.0 to 2.01. The difference is huge. I like it personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
I think there is some level of adaptation but you are the first to complain about the increased throttle response, as well as power, in the history of tuning
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Edit: I changed my mind, I want more linear power through the whole pedal
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired

Last edited by mithiral67; 03-19-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
ive had my ap for little over a month now and there has never been any issues with my throttle, power was always smooth all the way to redline. heel and toe perfectly around corners. maybe try resetting the ecu to see if it that helps.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
The cobb does come on a lot faster than the other tuning options. For example, the proceed was linear (to me) for the first half of the pedal, then you had to floor it to get all of the beast, which felt like another 30-40% of the power.

The cobb doesnt feel any different to me from 60% to 100% throttle.

That being said, I learned quickly to modulate as needed and have zero trouble dialing the exact power I need. Just give it a week and I am sure you will get used to it quickly.
This is my point exactly that from 60% to 100% throttle there is really no perceived difference. I have not read this fact in any other review. I guess most people don't mind this as it gives you the perception of more power. I just think it seems a waste to not use the whole range of pedal positioning.
Maybe the solution is to provide different throttle response maps to allow for different driving styles (as another member has suggested).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Sounds like some tuning related complaints piggys use to have years ago. Now of course cured and even can be set by the end user of where full boost comes on in relation to the pedal position. IMHO Linear>burst. Maybe something COBB can work on, shoot them an email.
I dont also think many users here are comprehending exactly what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Edit: I changed my mind, I want more linear power through the whole pedal
2008 - 335i e92 - Cobb/AR/Helix/OSS (384 rwtq and 356 rwhp) - Retired

Last edited by mithiral67; 03-19-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Sounds like some tuning related complaints piggys use to have years ago. Now of course cured and even can be set by the end user of where full boost comes on in relation to the pedal position. IMHO Linear>burst. Maybe something COBB can work on, shoot them an email.
I dont also think many users here are comprehending exactly what you are talking about.
Yes I think there might be a misunderstanding with what throttle response is.....
Increased throttle response does not = decreased pedal movement
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #19
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

my Cobb only did that when i got PROTuned by a tuner here in Houston.

i drove it down the street and was about 4 miles from the shop when i physically turned around to go back.

i pulled up and said "dude, this is INCREDIBLY too sensitive".

and he said "so you don't like the boost coming on too fast"

i said "hell NO !!!! not when i go 1/4 throttle from a stop light or stop sign and my car feels as if it's trying to shoot for the best sixty foot in the world"

he dialed it down and it felt MUCH better. i like going half throttle and only getting 3 or 4 psi from that. I like to delegate how fast i go by how hard i go into the throttle, not by how sensitive the tune is.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
e92OCD
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
my Cobb only did that when i got PROTuned by a tuner here in Houston.

i drove it down the street and was about 4 miles from the shop when i physically turned around to go back.

i pulled up and said "dude, this is INCREDIBLY too sensitive".

and he said "so you don't like the boost coming on too fast"

i said "hell NO !!!! not when i go 1/4 throttle from a stop light or stop sign and my car feels as if it's trying to shoot for the best sixty foot in the world"

he dialed it down and it felt MUCH better. i like going half throttle and only getting 3 or 4 psi from that. I like to delegate how fast i go by how hard i go into the throttle, not by how sensitive the tune is.
I'm glad somebody else out there also feels that 14 psi on 1/3 throttle might be a bit excessive................. is the answer I'm looking for to get it PROtuned?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I already said it can be tuned out...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #22
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Quote:
I'm glad somebody else out there also feels that 14 psi on 1/3 throttle might be a bit excessive................. is the answer I'm looking for to get it PROtuned?
Are you looking at the correct boost reading in the live data viewer on the AP? Full boost (14-16psi) won't be targeted until load values are over 100.

Give it some time; you should get used to it. In my opinion, I'm very happy with the aggressive throttle response and immediate rush of torque. It's just enough to keep me satisfied on the street without getting into too much trouble and a feel I was used to coming from several high-performance V8 cars prior to my 335i.
Appreciate 0