E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #397
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
So people really mash the pedal and have a 1 or more second delay before response? I thought it was the 0.5-1sec delay...maybe it's just because I came from my 330i that is the NA variant.
NA cars have no lag, you can't.

I've been trying to figure out why are on on this thread because you don't have a turbo'd car. Only forced induction cars have turbo lag.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #398
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Tyler, if they ARE updating your Progman, they would likely need it overnight, which I would assume they would have warned you about...you know, so you could go home from work
There is a CHANCE though that since you brought it in so early that it could be done today. But, in general, it takes 5-8 hours to flash.

Also, when you mentioned wanting 30.22 if they could, did they act like you had 4 heads, or did they seem to admit to having and knowing about 30.22?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #399
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
NA cars have no lag, you can't.

I've been trying to figure out why are on on this thread because you don't have a turbo'd car. Only forced induction cars have turbo lag.
He does. The profile thing is not accurate.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #400
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
Yes, > 1sec in the low rpm range (i.e. 1.5k-3.5k). Above 4k rpm, the lag is quite a bit less noticeable. But, the driving experience is not nearly as good when you drive the car over 4k all the time. Plus, the gas mileage sucks and temps run quite a bit warmer, in my opinion
+1 all around (except my temps are the same from what I noticed). Driver 'er like a ricer and it's all good (well, except for averaging 19 mpg)!!

And Slubu, yeah, 0.5 seconds is about what we used to have. Pretty much mash-go. Now it's Mash - - - - go.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #401
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
updated, sorry about that.

Quote:
+1 all around (except my temps are the same from what I noticed). Driver 'er like a ricer and it's all good (well, except for averaging 19 mpg)!!

And Slubu, yeah, 0.5 seconds is about what we used to have. Pretty much mash-go. Now it's Mash - - - - go.
Crap man, I thought the 0.5 was slightly annoying, but definitely liveable. But mash.....go is bad. Feel bad for you guys. Although I guess I can say the MSD81's don't necessarily come with the lag then. My I-drive screen is brown.
      07-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #402
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Got my car back from service...still laggy as ever. I'll drive it harder on the way home from work tonight and will let you all know if there is any noticeable difference after an extended drive.

The SA said their current progman is 30.2 and my car was not updated b/c, per their diagnostics there are no changes in 30.2 that were not also included in 29.2. I'm not 100% sure what this means...can anyone here explain?

FWIW, he said that they have been resetting adaptations on 29.2 cars because some customers had also complained of rough idle on startup. He was hopefull it would help my lag issue, also. (It didnt, from what I can tell so far).

I asked the SA to have the service manager call me this afternoon so can talk to him about this. I plan to emphasize my dissatisfaction with their ability to fix this problem . Specifically, I'm going to say that I cant believe BMW has de-tuned the performace of my car after I purchased it, and I think that is crappy and borders on false advertising. I refuse to be a total dick to anyone at my dealership about this. But, hopefully the service manager has some authority to take appropriate action.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #403
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #404
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
updated, sorry about that.

Crap man, I thought the 0.5 was slightly annoying, but definitely liveable. But mash.....go is bad. Feel bad for you guys. Although I guess I can say the MSD81's don't necessarily come with the lag then. My I-drive screen is brown.
your signature still shows

2006 330i 6sp, SGM, Terra Leather, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Idrive, Comfort Access, ED on 12/15, Completed on 12/19, Jetlagged on 12/20 at the office, and now just enjoying my baby...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #405
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got my car back from service...still laggy as ever. I'll drive it harder on the way home from work tonight and will let you all know if there is any noticeable difference after an extended drive.

The SA said their current progman is 30.2 and my car was not updated b/c, per their diagnostics there are no changes in 30.2 that were not also included in 29.2. I'm not 100% sure what this means...can anyone here explain?

FWIW, he said that they have been resetting adaptations on 29.2 cars because some customers had also complained of rough idle on startup. He was hopefull it would help my lag issue, also. (It didnt, from what I can tell so far).

I asked the SA to have the service manager call me this afternoon so can talk to him about this. I plan to emphasize my dissatisfaction with their ability to fix this problem . Specifically, I'm going to say that I cant believe BMW has de-tuned the performace of my car after I purchased it, and I think that is crappy and borders on false advertising. I refuse to be a total dick to anyone at my dealership about this. But, hopefully the service manager has some authority to take appropriate action.
Argh! Well, no shocker there I suppose. We knew they woudln't fix it by wiping the learning. Perhaps you can demand 30.22 since they didn't help you at all. Then that at least helps figure out one other thing (if 30.22 does jack to help).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #406
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
your signature still shows

2006 330i 6sp, SGM, Terra Leather, Alum Trim, PDC, SP, PP, Idrive, Comfort Access, ED on 12/15, Completed on 12/19, Jetlagged on 12/20 at the office, and now just enjoying my baby...
Sorry, I have sigs turned off for work.
      07-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #407
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I have sigs turned off for work.
Hey there it is!

Ok, yes 0.5 sec is normal, what I was feeling before was nearly a 2 second delay. The dealer fixed mine so I'm back to 0.5 to 0.7 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #408
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
That's what my foreman told me. No version is out yet that is said to fix the issues. So, an update is useless.
The Progman packages include firmwares for up to 70 different units. He told me that there was no DME version change in the current Progman version. That means, v29.2 differs in other aspects from v30.x than DME firmware, maybe navigation software or "something completely different"(TM).

There is one german MY07 335i owner who brought his car into the shop today and gets a DME update to the most current version (he reported motor problems). I have asked him to request what exact version he will get and check for turbo lag (I'm almost sure it will be present after the upgrade).

I am still waiting for an upgrade fix that fixes the 6FL and the DME problems. Oh, BTW, my 6FL is working again after a hardware exchange. Seems it was killed in the process of downgrading it to v27.02.02, which makes me begin to understand why a downgrade looks like a bad option as a makeshift intermediate fix for you v29.2 guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #409
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
That's what my foreman told me. No version is out yet that is said to fix the issues. So, an update is useless.
The Progman packages include firmwares for up to 70 different units. He told me that there was no DME version change in the current Progman version. That means, v29.2 differs in other aspects from v30.x than DME firmware, maybe navigation software or "something completely different"(TM).
That makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #410
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Due to problems with the new software, my delaer is not updating software until the issues get resolved. The only reason that I bought a 335i coupe was the for the smoothness and fuel economy of an inline six with the power and feel of a big V-8 and most importantly NO TUROB LAG AS ADVERTISED. I have owned BMWs for 30 years but I will never buy another one if they don't address this shit ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #411
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
Due to problems with the new software, my delaer is not updating software until the issues get resolved. The only reason that I bought a 335i coupe was the for the smoothness and fuel economy of an inline six with the power and feel of a big V-8 and most importantly NO TUROB LAG AS ADVERTISED. I have owned BMWs for 30 years but I will never buy another one if they don't address this shit ASAP.
amen bro - my car has been like this for more than 2 months now. my dealership is still treating this as if it is no big deal...I'm glad my lease is up soon. I'd be REALLY pissed if I had another couple of years left...

I drove my car pretty hard tonight home from work...too much traffic for me to really get on it much...but still seems to have looooong lag. I'll try again tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #412
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well, I took my car in for some issues including hesitation and idle problems and also to get Dinan stage2. After they had the car 2 days i talked to the service manager and they took care of the idle, hesitation with an update. Then he asks me if i was aware that if I got Dinan my warranty would be immediateley voided. Imagine my surprise. He said something about a bulletin they got saying BMW will no longer honor the warranty if any engine upgradees are done. Of course i argued because now i had a new and probably as bad, version of progman and was hoping that would overrride it but it doesnt look like i will be getting it until I talk to BMW. Already talked to Dinan and they said it was not true and he misread something. That leaves me with the latest progman to test out on my ride home tomorrow. I am picking it up around noon and will find out what version they installed and since they are aboout 35 miles away, I will be able to get an idea of how it runs. Will let you know whenI get home tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #413
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

What if we all got together with our real names and submitted one big complaint to whichever SA that seems to be the coolest? You would think that a rep that opens a PUMA case that is for 20 simultaneous complaints might get some attention from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #414
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can they open a case without actually checking the car and driving it?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #415
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Can they open a case without actually checking the car and driving it?
They'd check the first car, and any others that are nearby, and the rest of us would just go into the notes. It'd be highly unusual, which is why I said we'd need a very understanding SA.

Twenty 335i's in one case would represent $1M in revenue. Hopefully they'd take note then.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #416
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

BMW updates Noelle now... no cure for our problem any more!

Just a little piece of information for those who have considered doing a Noelle tune in order to fix their v29.2-imposed problems because it is based on a pre-29.2 version:

It seems like BMW diagnosis software has been updated. Noelle, who stated that his tune would not be overwritten by BMW, now tells otherwise.

This means that Noelle-tuned cars will no longer be not exempt from future DME updates. I'd guess this applies to Dinan tunes as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #417
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Progman update

Just got the car back with the new update and I don't feel a difference. In fact, the car felt amazing on the way back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #418
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
Just got the car back with the new update and I don't feel a difference. In fact, the car felt amazing on the way back from the dealer.
I'm curious what versions did your car have before and after the update?
Appreciate 0