E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Changing the battery

01-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #243
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I got this new battery. it says 720 CCA
Also has 90 HR @ 20 AH

Does the 90 HR @ 20 AH means the same thing as 90 AH 720A?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #244
LilSilverBullet
Thailand
Rep
Drives: I6 NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I got this new battery. it says 720 CCA
Also has 90 HR @ 20 AH

Does the 90 HR @ 20 AH means the same thing as 90 AH 720A?
I just got a new battery from dealer for my 2007 328xi (March 2007 built date).
The part number is 61 21 2 353 810. The one that comes with the car is the white one with part # 61 21 6 946 334. Both has 720A, 720CCA and 90Ah @ 20 Hr. The Amp (A) and Amp-hour (Ah) are measurements for two different things (Current vs. Electrical Charge). Basically both are specifications of your new battery.

My battery died after almost 7 years and during the freaking cold week in USA Mid-Atlantic! I decided to get a new battery from local dealership with CCA discount. The price is $208 + tax which I think I can do a lot better ordering from Tischer or similar online BMW part suppliers. However, we need to use the car this weekend and waiting for the new battery from online order is not an option. Better luck next time + better plan ahead (assuming I still have this car).

The DIY guide is a life-saver !! I spent 30 mins putting the new one in. Most time consuming part for me was to remove the old battery without damaging anything in the battery bay. The car starts right up with only 4WD & ASC error which went away after driving around for less than a mile.

I am hoping that I don't need to register the new battery since it is exactly the same spec as the old one and from reading this thread. Anyway, I might just order BT tool to register it for a peace of mind. I will drive it without registration for a few weeks to see if everything works fine first.

[Edited] I ended up buying BT tool enthusiast version. Very easy to register the new battery. I don't notice any difference compared to before the registration, just for the peace of mind. Extra benefit is that I can reset the adaptive transmission and throttle values without going through the method of holding throttle to the floor for xx seconds/minutes (which I couldn't say if I did correctly or not most of the time). Now it shifts more toward my driving style (instead of wife's stop-n-go)

Last edited by LilSilverBullet; 06-06-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #245
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

For anyone that may read this you ABSOLUTELY have to register/code your new battery. Just because it works does not mean it's functioning properly. The ECU will continue to charge the new battery as if it were the old battery. Meaning if you have 720 and your battery died at say 400, you're ECU will continue to charge for the old 400 rate. It may not seem like a big deal but your overcharging the new battery. Just like a cell phone or laptop, overcharging leads to a MUCH MUCH shorter battery life. So where as your original battery may have lasted for 5+ years, the new will be lucky to last half of that without the register process. I hope this helps for anyone that is still wondering about this.

BMW 07 Pre LCI 335i e92 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #246
desmornr24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I E90

Battery Cost @ the Stealership

Ok, newbie here. I just picked up a Battery at the Stealership who charged $450 + Tax for the AGM 850 cca. Can anyone here tell me did I pay too much for this?

I can't help but feel humiliated and helpless - I plan to replace this myself and the write-up on this is extremely informative and easy to follow. Once replace, I can't help but go back to the stealership and get this registered or can anyone shed some light on this as well.

Thanks
Desmo ...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #247
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Fly View Post
For anyone that may read this you ABSOLUTELY have to register/code your new battery. Just because it works does not mean it's functioning properly. The ECU will continue to charge the new battery as if it were the old battery. Meaning if you have 720 and your battery died at say 400, you're ECU will continue to charge for the old 400 rate. It may not seem like a big deal but your overcharging the new battery. Just like a cell phone or laptop, overcharging leads to a MUCH MUCH shorter battery life. So where as your original battery may have lasted for 5+ years, the new will be lucky to last half of that without the register process. I hope this helps for anyone that is still wondering about this.
I got a new battery installed and registered at the dealer 2 years ago.
However, if I park the car for a while (over a week), I use a Battery Tender Plus to charge/maintain the battery. Would this have any negative affects on the battery, and how the car chooses to charge it?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #248
bufasion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 328xi

Just an update. In 2012 I replaced the battery in my 07 328xi with a $99 battery from Walmart (see post #130). I purposely did NOT register the battery. It is still going strong as of today, almost 3 years later. There's no evidence the battery has been mistreated by the car, or charged differently compared to my non-BMW vehicles. I can't speak for other people's cars, but at this point the whole registration thing seems like an urban legend to me. The factory battery lasted 5 years. I'll report back whether the replacement lasts just as long.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #249
kevingi
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, M package, HD Radio

Battery reset with BT scan tool

I replaced my 5 year old battery with a new one of exactly the same specs. I used the BT scan tool (enthusist version) to reset the car. Works fine. If you change the battery type or capacity from stock, you need to recode the car so it knows about it. You will need the pro version of the BT tool to do that! Good reason to replace the battery with the stock version since the pro BT tool is $700!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #250
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #251
E90X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport Wagon

Non OEM Battery

For those that have been searching, just replaced my old battery (720CCA) with this one. http://www.pepboys.com/mobile/products/details/838838

Group 49 AGM Bosch, on 35% discount for $135. Exact same size and shape but higher specs, even the vent tube location is identical. Getting it coded at my Indy for free with my next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:42 PM   #252
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

How long does this battery last? I don't need a battery yet. My car is 5 years old and I have 45k but I know I'll need one soon. Can i buy this battery and store it for a year or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90X View Post
For those that have been searching, just replaced my old battery (720CCA) with this one. http://www.pepboys.com/mobile/products/details/838838

Group 49 AGM Bosch, on 35% discount for $135. Exact same size and shape but higher specs, even the vent tube location is identical. Getting it coded at my Indy for free with my next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #253
cpe90
nemo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 Sedan  [0.00]
Is it possible to have the picture loaded again please?

I just bought Duracell from BatteryPatrol and just found out the ah rate on the battery is 100AH and the original battery is 90AH.
According to a local Euro Indyshop the AH rate is the most important thing to look for and make sure they are match with the OEM or I will have to get the car "reprogrammed" instead of just "registered" the new battery. He said reprogrammed will cost about $150 and register only cost $100.

What do you guys think?
Is he telling the truth?

FWIW,
I've got quoted from the dealer $182 for the battery and $155 for an hour labor to register and I'm guessing installation.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #254
AdamIsAdam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport 6M

Yes, you must have the same Ah rate. Programmers can quickly change yours. I had mine done remotely by a programmer using my laptop and cable that I previously purchased.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #255
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufasion View Post
Just an update. In 2012 I replaced the battery in my 07 328xi with a $99 battery from Walmart (see post #130). I purposely did NOT register the battery. It is still going strong as of today, almost 3 years later. There's no evidence the battery has been mistreated by the car, or charged differently compared to my non-BMW vehicles. I can't speak for other people's cars, but at this point the whole registration thing seems like an urban legend to me. The factory battery lasted 5 years. I'll report back whether the replacement lasts just as long.
Exactly.

What color battery did u have originally?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #256
cpe90
nemo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Yes, you must have the same Ah rate. Programmers can quickly change yours. I had mine done remotely by a programmer using my laptop and cable that I previously purchased.
Do you mind sharing what kind of battery did you get, the programmer contact and cable that you bought?
That way I can do the same.

I think my friend is already have the the cable and program that he used on his E60 but he said only for the "re-registering" the new battery instead of changing the AH rating.

For anyone that bought the battery from walmart, do they have the AH rating shown on the battery? I have tried Interstate Battery, Sams Club, and Advanced Auto and none of their batteries has any info about the AH rating.
I'm ready just to pull the plug and buy the battery at the dealership.
Wally is my last chance.

Any help, please?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #257
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I bought a Bosch Group 49 battery which is infamous for either going flat in 2 wks, or in one case that I read, exploding (from overcharging) without registering it as a new battery.

Beware of Bosch batteries, the first one I got at Pep boys had one cell's level below the plates, the second they gave me, the top was not sealed to the body correctly, and it leaked acid over my hands and the wiring when I was installing it. The third one is in and working, higher CCA does mean nice quick starts, but not worth the hassle.
A follow-up on how this battery did: It lasted 4.5 years, which is pretty good in the hot Phoenix area. It came with a prorated 96 month warranty, and after that was factored in, cost $96 w/tax to replace, a good deal.

However, yet again, problems with the batteries at the store. The first one , the vent hose connector was broken almost all the way through - possible shipping damage? The second one, that connector was malformed, and the elbow that goes to the car's hose didn't have an air tight connection. The third one was good, even the water/acid level in the cells was spot-on.

If you buy these Bosch batteries, check them carefully before you pay and leave with it.

I registered the new battery using the K+DCAN cable and free BMWLogger software from Bimmer Software vs. paying my indie again, and I can check for and clear codes with it.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 03-01-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #258
3twenty8eye
Registered
Rep
Drives: black coupe

My car is in the shop for the radio right now but the radio killed my battery now that has to be replaced but warranty doesn't cover it. My BMW rep tells me the battery has to be registered and that cost $150 is that true?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #259
macabethiele
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325SE petrol

How do I open the pictures ?

Read the first post and they are great instructions but none of the pictures will open for me. Later posts on the threads pictures are fine.

Am I doing something wrong ? If I right click on the silver square I just get 404 not found in a new tab ?
Appreciate 0