E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Airbag Control Unit

11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
JackR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE

Airbag Control Unit

Hello you lot!

Right I've had the restraint system failure light come up, along with the damn annoying warn every time on the iDrive and it's come down to, after replacing the air bag, checking connections etc....... The Airbag control Unit.

I know it's under the centre console somewhere but how on Earth does one go about getting at it? I nearly lost my rag earlier with it so have come here to type this. A sign of defeat.... Yes.

Also, when it comes to replacing it, I've read that the new one will need to be coded to my car? Is this true? If so how do I go about that or is that something only BMW can do? They want £415 for one, I told them quietly and politely to shove it.

Pretty sure that's about it. If not then I'll edit this post. Also if you have any other suggestions before ripping the car apart that'd be ideal!

JR.. OUT.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

if I am thinking of the same one, unless you get one from a car that is same year as yours and month then you can get away with swapping and no ciding required - again if its the same one i am thinking of one I have a spare unit at home that you can have for a small price?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
JackR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hello mistryn, so what you're saying is that assuming I get a 2006 (October I think) airbag unit no coding is needed. I've searched and searched for answer with regards to coding them and I can't find anything so starting to think that maybe it's not necessary!

I'll Pm you buddy!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Expose the airbag unit and look at the terminals. It could be that rusty terminal or some water ingress is increasing the resistance. It may be just a easy fix.

Expose it and have a look at it before shelling any money out.
      01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
JackR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Right turns out that it was the airbag control unit. I bought a new one at the cost of.... wait for it..... £415inc VAT. But that's all done. Dusted!

Case closed!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Go on tell us the whole story...did it need coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
JackR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry I was a little vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
Go on tell us the whole story...did it need coding?
The full story. Basically what happened was..... A resister was put on the airbag plug to see if the coding was before or after that, it was before. So then it was placed on another socket under the centre console just before the control unit to save stripping wiring etc etc. So that confirmed it was the control unit.

A new one was ordered for a tidy sum of £415inc VAT from BMW (Westerly Yeovil), who I can't stand but that's by the by! That took a couple of days to arrive. The old one was removed which was easy as piss!

As for coding, I'm not sure! I took it to Tytherleigh Vehicle Electrics (TVE) which did anything else for me.

So i did a fair few miles today and all is well! Apart from one of the damn H8 LED bulbs going - but a new one is being sent from the people I bought them off so can't grumble at that!
Appreciate 0