E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Factory options you reckon are a waste of money

04-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #23
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I most respectfully disagree, E90Fleet. Here's why...
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Its great to make it harder to see into the car from the rear..
I personally don't really care about this.

Quote:
...and keeps the sun off passangers on long drives with the seting sun behind you.
Long drives with the setting sun behind me is less than 1% of my driving. Also, the sunshade does a mediocre job of keeping the sun off passengers and nothing for keeping heat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90FLEET
...it dissapears at the touch of a button, and is back just as fast with another touch.
It's easy to get hide the sunshade...at least for the back...the 4 manual rear side shades are still a pain, however.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #24
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d

Can you believe this ... http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...-thx-certified

The Z4 get THX certification ... I think Logic 7 on the E90 must have been an Alpha test.

Rest of car is excellent.
Z4's THX certified logic 7 isnt much different, infact it shares 80% of its parts including the amp with the X3.

Only real difference is the shape of the speakers.

Logic 7's factory settings arnt good, you must set the equilizer properly first.
      04-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #25
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
I most respectfully disagree, E90Fleet. Here's why...

I personally don't really care about this.

Long drives with the setting sun behind me is less than 1% of my driving. Also, the sunshade does a mediocre job of keeping the sun off passengers and nothing for keeping heat out.

It's easy to get hide the sunshade...at least for the back...the 4 manual rear side shades are still a pain, however.
Well see, i live in Africa and here

1) We have a very harsh African sun
2) We have people that walk up behind your car, see whats inside and then smash your side window and steal it, all while you are waiting at a intersection.

So for me the electric rear and manual side blinds are perfect and well worth the small amount they cost.

It makes it harder to see in and keeps the sun away just the right amount and I can take it away in seconds if I want
      04-18-2006, 05:07 PM   #26
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well see, i live in Africa and here

1) We have a very harsh African sun
2) We have people that walk up behind your car, see whats inside and then smash your side window and steal it, all while you are waiting at a intersection.

So for me the electric rear and manual side blinds are perfect and well worth the small amount they cost.

It makes it harder to see in and keeps the sun away just the right amount and I can take it away in seconds if I want
I see and that makes sense, E90Fleet.

Is there a material available that is more opaque for keeping out the sun? The current sunshade material has holes that are relatively large and therefore a lot of sunlight comes through. Thanks.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #27
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
I see and that makes sense, E90Fleet.

Is there a material available that is more opaque for keeping out the sun? The current sunshade material has holes that are relatively large and therefore a lot of sunlight comes through. Thanks.
As with everything everyones needs and wants are different, thats why there are things such as options, because some want them, others dont.

As for your question: BMW only offers the 1 type.

Its interesting to see how its stops different amounts of light at different angles
      04-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #28
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Z4's THX certified logic 7 isnt much different, infact it shares 80% of its parts including the amp with the X3.

Only real difference is the shape of the speakers.

Logic 7's factory settings arnt good, you must set the equilizer properly first.
What do you mean by properly? Flat is proper for true Hi-Fi and BMW should have selected the components and tuned the frequency response to match the cars acoustics – clearly this has not been done on the E90!

Any good Hi-Fi should not need tone or equalisation settings to reproduce a decent sound quality. In addition, adjustment of tone controls will not fix the “congested and compressed” sound quality which is caused by poor tuning and/or component quality – this suggests a lack of R&D effort.

The default factory tone settings are hopeless and clearly BMW have not thoroughly tested here. I expect later cars will slightly improve through software equaliser settings but unfortunately this will not fix the congested sound quality.

Can you provide your settings please as I’ll try anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #29
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by properly? Flat is proper for true Hi-Fi and BMW should have selected the components and tuned the frequency response to match the cars acoustics – clearly this has not been done on the E90!

Any good Hi-Fi should not need tone or equalisation settings to reproduce a decent sound quality. In addition, adjustment of tone controls will not fix the “congested and compressed” sound quality which is caused by poor tuning and/or component quality – this suggests a lack of R&D effort.

The default factory tone settings are hopeless and clearly BMW have not thoroughly tested here. I expect later cars will slightly improve through software equaliser settings but unfortunately this will not fix the congested sound quality.

Can you provide your settings please as I’ll try anything?
First thing to remember its a car radio, not a real "Hi-Fi", so it would never sound as good.

BMW doesnt do the Radio setup, Harman, Becker and Alpine do

Set your equiliser in a V pattern ( with the middle band being the bottom of the V and it being set on neutral ) . Finetune from there.
This seems to work well on logic 7 and even on lots of rel home "Hi-fi"

Ofcourse the final positions depend on your likes and types of music.
      04-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #30
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

The most useless option on my car is the shark fin, aka satellite radio prep. The most useless non option item has to be the moonroof. The leatherette interior is another useless non-option, I don't mind fabric at all.

To the poster above, if you had a perfect acoustical environment and perfect hearing, you wouldn't need an EQ. Cars, especially moving cars, are far from perfect as a listening environment, hence EQ is required by even the best car audio.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #31
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
So judging from this thread BMW (and all brands for that matter) should make each model in one configuration and choose for us what components and features are included. There should be no options of any kind. How would you have them do it - bare bones... fully loaded.... pick a few features and put them in?

From all the mods I see, from spoilers to wheels and tires, to full body kits, it appears as though personal choice and individuality are important. Yet, we love to label any option that we don't have on our car as "stupid" and "waste of money". If someone is willing to pay extra money for optional equipment or features then it is worth it to them. Who am I to say what is or isn't a waste of money and why would anyone care?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #32
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
First thing to remember its a car radio, not a real "Hi-Fi", so it would never sound as good.

BMW doesnt do the Radio setup, Harman, Becker and Alpine do

Set your equiliser in a V pattern ( with the middle band being the bottom of the V and it being set on neutral ) . Finetune from there.
This seems to work well on logic 7 and even on lots of rel home "Hi-fi"

Ofcourse the final positions depend on your likes and types of music.
BMW GB describes the Logic 7 system for the E90 in their price list as “Radio/audio - Hi-Fi system Professional Logic 7” – clearly they believe its of Hi-Fi quality.

BMW takes overall responsibility for the quality of the product not the component suppler.

My benchmark is the HK system on early E46’s which was far better and for some strange reason latter E46 also sounded dull, congested and lacking bass extension. Its all due to lack of testing and quality by BMW to maintain standards from their supplier.

I’m not expecting the same standard as a top quality home cinema system but Logic 7 in a BMW should NOT sound this bad and indeed other BMW products have better sound systems – the E90 Logic 7 sounds dull, congested and lack bass extension, and its not worth the money.

The fundamental problem is that BMW are not matching the sound quality of earlier products – as I said its poor quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP

it appears as though personal choice and individuality are important. Yet, we love to label any option that we don't have on our car as "stupid" and "waste of money". If someone is willing to pay extra money for optional equipment or features then it is worth it to them. Who am I to say what is or isn't a waste of money and why would anyone care?
isnt that what I said in post #27, just not in the Jazzed up LEDZEP kind of way
      04-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #34
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
BMW GB describes the Logic 7 system for the E90 in their price list as “Radio/audio - Hi-Fi system Professional Logic 7” – clearly they believe its of Hi-Fi quality.

BMW takes overall responsibility for the quality of the product not the component suppler.

My benchmark is the HK system on early E46’s which was far better and for some strange reason latter E46 also sounded dull, congested and lacking bass extension. Its all due to lack of testing and quality by BMW to maintain standards from their supplier.

I’m not expecting the same standard as a top quality home cinema system but Logic 7 in a BMW should NOT sound this bad and indeed other BMW products have better sound systems – the E90 Logic 7 sounds dull, congested and lack bass extension, and its not worth the money.

The fundamental problem is that BMW are not matching the sound quality of earlier products – as I said its poor quality.
I would say "car Hi Fi"

Anyway, have you ever listened to someone elses Logic 7, maybe yours has a problem ?

The ones I have listend to playing top quality CD's ( not MP3's ) have all blown away the old HK ( who also produce Logic 7 ) in both 2002 and 2005 model E46 M3 of friends. And most people I have spoken 2 here agree.

Or maybe it just doesnt suit your type of music
But usually it comes down to settings or source material quality with most people here.
      04-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #35
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would say "car Hi Fi"

Anyway, have you ever listened to someone elses Logic 7, maybe yours has a problem ?

The ones I have listend to playing top quality CD's ( not MP3's ) have all blown away the old HK ( who also produce Logic 7 ) in both 2002 and 2005 model E46 M3 of friends. And most people I have spoken 2 here agree.

Or maybe it just doesnt suit your type of music
But usually it comes down to settings or source material quality with most people here.
BMW’s own words say Hi-Fi, the car bit is irrelevant as I’m comparing with an early HK in an E46 saloon which is another BMW product.

I have done the comparisons and I’m using top quality original CD’s (not copies or MP3’s) in the head unit.

The E46 Coupe HK system did not sound as good as the saloon version – different components, acoustics and tuning. Later E46 salons also sounded poor – I know as I owned both an early E46 salon with HK and a later one with NG audio and the change was dramatic.

I listen to a very wide variety of music so this not the reason. It’s a lack of R&D from BMW – they have pushed out the E90 Logic 7 hoping the equaliser will elevate customers concerns over sounds quality until they have more time to test and improve.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #36
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

carl D, I've listened to the harmon kardon in a 2003 325 sedan, and I thought that sounded worse than the stereo in my 325 (non logic 7)

If BMW gives me an option that I can use to make my stereo sound better (equalizer on the L7 setup) you should use it and not gripe that you have to use the equalizer to make it sound good. it's a car not a concert hall.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #37
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Garage List
For the peeps that want to improve sound quality this should help.

If you're making MP3's you loose sound. That's called degradation. The more compression, the more sound you lose. When Apple talks about storing 10,000 songs, they're stored at about 60 kbps. That's very low, but OK for small earphones.

The Standard in the radio industry is 128 kbps. Move kbps up to a higher number and you'll get better quality.

Try this, make a new MP3 and burn it at 192 kbps or higher and you should notice a big difference. If not, adjust the EQ.

The sacrifice is you'll have less music stored on one disc, but the sound quality greatly improves.

Most of the stereo in the US are Alpines. I personally think it's a great sounding system. And so does my Production Manager. But that's just an opinion from 2 people that work in the radio industry.

I think the windows and sunroof should continue to close even though you take the key out. I like the door lights.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #38
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I would say this thread doesn't make much sense to me because some members just seems to justifying the options that they did not get for whatever reason. For example, you can't call things like Steptronic and CA useless just because you don't have it
      04-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #39
325er
Banned
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Blk

You Brits/South Africans whine too much!! Geez from what I know about the little shitbox overpriced econobox cars in the UK, the E90 should be like a Cadillac to you guys. The cars kicks ass, and stop whining about the stereo, the LOGIC 7 rocks. What are you guys trying to do with it, roll down the windows and be heard by others? In the car the stereo provides kick ass enjoyment...rock included.

As for MT, get in the real world. I drove my MT 300ZX today with a coffee in one hand, a bagel on the console, and shifting gears in traffic etc. I hate it. MT is not realisitic for everyday life in North America. Yes it is fun, on a weekend, with an open road with nothing to do but drive, but not every day. Plus with todays technology MT is archaic and primitive. i.e. FORMULA 1. Steptronic kick ass and it does not make you wimpy to say so ok tough guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #40
M3ti Compact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 318ti, E90 325i

Garage List
1995 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325  [0.00]
Active steering is a good option. You get rally car steering ratio in the city, regular car ratio on highway. Best of both worlds.

The feel is on par with my old E36, the E46 and regular E90 I tried. In fact, the E90's AS steering is far more weighty than the other cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #41
M3ti Compact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 318ti, E90 325i

Garage List
1995 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325  [0.00]
And for everyone complaining about the stereo system- If the stereo was important to you, you should have got a Lexus. The old Nakamichis and the new Mark Levinsons absolutly blow everything else away...careful though, the lower end cars (ES, IS, RX) might have Panasonics- but they still sound amazing.

And with BMWs, do you know how much engineering they put into making their engines sound just right? Who needs a stereo in a BMW?? The best soundtrack is provided by the engine with volume control via your right foot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #42
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
As for MT, get in the real world. I drove my MT 300ZX today with a coffee in one hand, a bagel on the console, and shifting gears in traffic etc. I hate it. MT is not realisitic for everyday life in North America. Yes it is fun, on a weekend, with an open road with nothing to do but drive, but not every day. Plus with todays technology MT is archaic and primitive. i.e. FORMULA 1. Steptronic kick ass and it does not make you wimpy to say so ok tough guys?
Man are you going to get it for that one around here!!

FYI a Formula 1 transmission is not the same as the Steptronic transmission. It is actually a manual transmission with computer controlled clutch and gear changes. The BMW SMG is along these lines and ALOT of work is being done for these types of transmissions for street cars. A Steptronic is a traditional automatic with a torque converter that just allows you to pick the gear you want to be in (after it thinks about it for a while...). So there tough guy... get it right before you go off on everyone...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #43
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
heated seats
Yea maybe were you live. Those of us in areas that actually have 4 seasons really like these.. In fact that's one of the main things my wife likes about the car!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #44
bos
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
I agree with the sentiment about MT vs AT. The acceleration times are close and assume an expert at the MT. Every extra fraction of a second you're on the clutch directly subtracts from that.

Of course, formula 1 AT is superior to MT and traditional AT in every way, except cost.

The real transmission of the future is CVT.
Appreciate 0