E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: radio removal

11-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
BimmerRob
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F36 435i xDrive

really need a DIY for e92... shit will not budge even after reading ^

2010 e92 Mojave Metallic - farewell old friend /2013
2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe Sparkling Brown | Cocaine White interior | JB4 | BMS Intake | Wagner Intercooler Evo I | VRSF Downpipes | ER Chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

After fighting with this for an hour on my sisters 2006 330i I gave up. Tried the OP method as well as the method posted after for cars with the auto AC (which her's has). We tried to pry out the AC panel and had no luck. I can see the two notches at the top of the AC panel, but inserting two flat tools to try to pull straight out got us nowhere. I'm afraid some plastic bits will break if I keep tugging. Any other suggestions? I'm surprised I couldn't find a Youtube video on the DIY.

Last edited by claykin; 11-28-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
renefreina
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

Fiber Optics

So I want to install kenwood DNX8120 in 2006 330i with "BMW PROFESSIONAL" stereo, and the guys at best buy said the car has fiber optics. Do I need to replace the original amp? Can the installation be done at all?

Let me know. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
ABacko
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320ies

Smile

very helpful:
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
BBM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i e90

After having trawled through the net for answers I am still none the wiser on how to remove the stereo from my e90 with automatic climate control.

As others have stated here the excellent instructions given above do not work for the auto vs manual a/c.

If anyone knows how to remove the stereo on the auto climate cars I would be very grateful since I need to re-seat the speak output on the rear of the BMW professional head unit as my speakers are working intermittently.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #28
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

I'm really upset! I can't get the fu**ing AC out...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #29
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagen-Dazs View Post
I'm really upset! I can't get the fu**ing AC out...
It took me a lot of time to found the way to unlock the panel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #30
Haagen-Dazs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Apollo 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
It took me a lot of time to found the way to unlock the panel.
So, what are you waiting for to share?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #31
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
to remove the radio (non-idrive), follow these instructions.

To take out the radio, you will have to remove the element with the heater and a/c controls in it first. This is fastened with two clips on the sides:
1. take an old creditcard (or something similar) and bend one (short) side of it in a 90 degrees angle.
2. insert the card between the radio and the a/c-controls, bend side first.
3. move the card to the upper/side of the a/c-controls and pull it, making sure its bend side hooks behind the controls.
4. the a/c control unit should move forward a bit. Repeat step 3 for both left and right side.
5. you should now be able to pull the a/c controls forward.
noting more to say. by trying you will found where are the clips..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
neusaab
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Tips following my experience

Struggled a bit, but finally got the A/C panel out. Here's what made the difference:

Keep the bent portion of the credit card very narrow, probably a few milimeters:

Work the credit card down the side as low as you can get it:

Once it's there, rotate it up and down around an imaginary axis piercing the center of the card. That's what finally did the trick for me. I hope this adds some clarity.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #33
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I'm f**ckin pissed, can't get the damn A/C off... Tried all the above for 2hours.. Still ko luck.
      07-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #34
irfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe 6M

go to harbor freight or autozone and get a trim removal set.. $6-20.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #35
MarkAngelo
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Convertible

Is sound quality better with aftermarket head unit?

Hello,

I'm about to do this for our 335i. We just purchased it, but CPO does not cover the radio screen disappearing pixels issue. We just decided to save up for an aftermarket radio and purchase an install kit and a harness.

I am hoping that this mod keeps or improves the performance of the factory sound system.

Thank you,
Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Now you have to make one on how to take off the faceplate of the radio!!!
      05-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #37
6cylinder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
Hello,
I have also tried several hours to get that A/C unit out. I have tried all described ways above but there was no way.

Yesterday I have found out the solution for it and it was very simple and the opposite of all the ways above :-) It is not to pull it out from the front but to push it out from the back. So just remove your glove box, feel the climate control back panel by your hand and push it out to the front. Do it side by side. First left, then right.

So you will get the A/C unit out within less minutes and without damaging anything.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
wdgood
Registered
Rep

it is good,clear for remove now,but any instruction for re-install an OEM aftermarket head unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #39
wdgood
Registered
Rep

no reply...any one who can supply the installation for the aftermarket bmw e90 navigation?it will be helpful for everybody here,thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #40
jip
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
to remove the radio (non-idrive), follow these instructions.

To take out the radio, you will have to remove the element with the heater and a/c controls in it first. This is fastened with two clips on the sides:
1. take an old creditcard (or something similar) and bend one (short) side of it in a 90 degrees angle.
2. insert the card between the radio and the a/c-controls, bend side first.
3. move the card to the upper/side of the a/c-controls and pull it, making sure its bend side hooks behind the controls.
4. the a/c control unit should move forward a bit. Repeat step 3 for both left and right side.
5. you should now be able to pull the a/c controls forward.
Personally, I went through all suggestions, and I can report that as for my 2005 non-idrive E90 the trim tool/bent credit card approach does not work at all. Not even removing the glovebox did the trick.

The thing that eventually worked was to first pry carefully the plastic AC cover panel below the radio, revealing the two slots or thinner sections of the upper edge. At those points, you should be able to see the plastic clips that attach the cover panel to the actual AC control unit. Once those are undone with a suitable tool (wooden stick from a cheap ice cream for example), you can progress to the side clips. You don't need to undo all the numerous clips to remove the panel completely, only so that the metal spring clip on one side, keeping the AC control unit body in its place, is visible. After that it should be pretty straightforward.

Two weeks of prying and twisting before that got me nowhere. However, I managed to keep all the parts and clips intact despite the rather liberal use of force on the way!

I hope this helps someone else on the exciting journey to behind the AC panel
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #41
TheBMWChick
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 328i

Great Post!

Thank you for sharing this write up! I might have been brave enough to do this myself had I found this post earlier. Instead I took mine to Tomas at German Auto Recycling in Riverside, CA after getting quoted a ton of money at the dealership.....what's weird is that the part guys actually recommended me there! Tomas took mine out and fixed it in less than 30 min! Highly recommend this guy, especially if you're a girl! Now I can see my radio stations
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #42
Phantom 335i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I Used this DYI yesterday, took about 5 min and the AC controls were out.

What worked for me was Iused the cerdit card and slipd it all the way down the side it poped out the bottem so i used a little screw driver and poked around from the bottom and found the clip and it just poped right out and after that the stereo is a piece of cake,
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
This is how I did.

You will find on top of the AC contorl two gaps if you slitghtly push the plastic cover outwards. Insert a screwdriver inside them and press down an pull out at the same time each at a time. It should come out with a bit of force.
What he said.

I have auto A/C, the connecting clips look exactly same as the manual A/C pictured here.

There are two small pivoting points on the lower left and right corner, so if you apply down and pull out force from top as written above it comes out. What it is really holding are the two side clips, but because of bottom pivot points top pulling works better. Try to get your pulling point as deep as possible.

It needs patience though. I did it twice before, it pops out when you almost lost hope.

I use plastic trim remover tool, highly recommended, it doesn't scratch and bends not to break plastic part parts. Avaliable amazon or other online stores.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #44
Zennonsobas
Zennon sobas e93
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i e93

Does anyone know how to get an aftermarket stereo to turn on and off with the ignition and save all settings I have made many thanks
Appreciate 0