E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > BMW Apps Retrofiit -- via dealer

08-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

BMW Apps Retrofiit -- via dealer

I know about the 3rd party retrofit companies on this board. However, I want to see what my dealer will say about doing the BMW apps retrofit (6NR) for my 2011 E90 (built in March 2011, with NAV, combox, etc.)

Is there a specific document or retrofit number or something I can refer to? I'm afraid if I just ask to retrofit BMW apps, they will look at me with blank eyes and then say it can't be done. I would like to refer them to an official document or something that says it can be done.

Can someone please give me EXACTLY what I should ask for and EXACTLY what I should refer to as far as BMW documentation, codes, numbers, etc.?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

18 views and nobody knows?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesardog View Post
18 views and nobody knows?
I posted this some time ago: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=84&fg=95

Your dealer should know what to do if they really want to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I posted this some time ago: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=84&fg=95

Your dealer should know what to do if they really want to do it.
You would think. But in my experience I found service people in general (not just BMW) are lacking in information (beyone the usual stuff like oil changes).

I'll send my dealer the link and see what they say. I don't have the base plate, 6NF, so maybe they will say they can't do it anyway for that reason. But I will not tip them off to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Bump. Would like to do the same to my 09 e92
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You would think. But in my experience I found service people in general (not just BMW) are lacking in information (beyone the usual stuff like oil changes).

I'll send my dealer the link and see what they say. I don't have the base plate, 6NF, so maybe they will say they can't do it anyway for that reason. But I will not tip them off to that.
Then you will need to contact forum vendor BimmerTech to perform this BMW Apps retrofit... you do not have any other option.

BimmerTech will code your car to show BMW Apps as installed from factory so it will be like installed by the dealer and supported by any OEM software update from now on.

Just without the pain and suffering.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Then you will need to contact forum vendor BimmerTech to perform this BMW Apps retrofit... you do not have any other option.

BimmerTech will code your car to show BMW Apps as installed from factory so it will be like installed by the dealer and supported by any OEM software update from now on.

Just without the pain and suffering.
I looked into that. Apparently there's also some minor hardware work that also needs to be done in the car (I'm not sure I can handle that). I can barely change a lightbulb. If it was just the remote coding -- no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I looked into that. Apparently there's also some minor hardware work that also needs to be done in the car (I'm not sure I can handle that). I can barely change a lightbulb. If it was just the remote coding -- no problem.
The hardware work is only done if you are interested in iPod Out (video). Otherwise it will be a simple coding session.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
caesardog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The hardware work is only done if you are interested in iPod Out (video). Otherwise it will be a simple coding session.
Hmmm. I'll have to ask BimmerTech about that. They didn't say I could only do coding. I really want this just for Pandora (including album artwork) and Internet radio, etc. I don't care about displaying videos stored on my Iphone.

If that can be remotely coded, that might work for me.

By the way, will Pandora work on the BMW (including album artwork) with an Ipad (not an Iphone)?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
xnsf
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

I coded 6NR (BMW Apps) to my May 2011 build without adding the smartphone cradle. Pandora and BMW Apps works perfectly with the center console USB and the white iPhone cable.

From what I learned researching adding 6NR, builds from March 2011 to September 2011 (with combox) will not require an FSC code to activate this feature. So you should be able to code 6NR without much fuss.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnsf View Post
I coded 6NR (BMW Apps) to my May 2011 build without adding the smartphone cradle. Pandora and BMW Apps works perfectly with the center console USB and the white iPhone cable.

From what I learned researching adding 6NR, builds from March 2011 to September 2011 (with combox) and not firmware updated at the dealer since will not require an FSC code to activate this feature. So you should be able to code 6NR without much fuss.
Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Funny1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Do I need a Combox System?

I have a 2011 335is and it was produced before BMW added the combox system.
Today I called BMW executives and a girl there told me that they know about this problem but at the moment there is no update for the older 2011 models. Is this true or do one of you know how I could have these cool features too?

Also I know there is a BMW technology office in Palo Alto CA would they by any chance be able to help me?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny1 View Post
I have a 2011 335is and it was produced before BMW added the combox system.
Today I called BMW executives and a girl there told me that they know about this problem but at the moment there is no update for the older 2011 models. Is this true or do one of you know how I could have these cool features too?

Also I know there is a BMW technology office in Palo Alto CA would they by any chance be able to help me?
BMW dealer does not do this kind of upgrades, but we have done it many many times for our customers (and its OEM)! You will have all the cool features that you are looking for! You can email us at info@bimmerretrofit.com with the last 7 characters of your VIN # and we will tell you exactly what you need!

We also have some installation locations in the Los Angeles & San Francisco areas, so they can help you with the installation.

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:49 AM   #14
Cali_Creez
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT; BNR34; S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwretrofit View Post
BMW dealer does not do this kind of upgrades, but we have done it many many times for our customers (and its OEM)! You will have all the cool features that you are looking for! You can email us at info@bimmerretrofit.com with the last 7 characters of your VIN # and we will tell you exactly what you need!

We also have some installation locations in the Los Angeles & San Francisco areas, so they can help you with the installation.

Thanks,

Kate.
Are you still providing this?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I wouldn't advise spending more than $10 or $20 for "BMW Apps". It's little more than a gimmick to try once. The Apps themselves are great: Pandora, Amazon, Radio, Lap timer, etc. but it's nearly impossible to use them. The process is as follows:

1. Launch the BMW app on your phone and wait for it to complete loading
2. Remove your pen drive from the usb port and connect iphone cable (or connect an outdated phone to an expensive snap-in cradle)
3. Completely and permanently delete your bluetooth configuration (it will automatically guide you thru this process)
4. Dig deep thru the iDrive menu to find "Apps" and select it to start loading
5. Individual apps eventually begin to appear in the iDrive menu and can be started
6. Repeat the entire process every time you start the car, change apps, change to radio, etc.
7. Note that your phone cannot be used for any purpose while connected and that the car will revert to radio or whatever every time you start it without the phone connected.

There is no possible explanation for some of the senseless issues like having to delete your entire bluetooth configuration, pull the door handle twice, or ensure the BMW app is running in the foreground at all times. But even without this insanity, the hassle of starting the app and connecting it every time you drive is just too much hassle for the minimal benefit of album art and stuff.

The alternative is to simply start Pandora, etc on your phone and stream thru bluetooth. There's no art, thumbs up/down, or station selection thru iDrive but at least it works effortlessly and transparently. Your phone automatically pauses when you park and instantly resumes when you return the next day.

And then there's reliability. Bluetooth streaming works well 80-90% of the time but the BMW app / USB connection only works maybe 40% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #16
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
I wouldn't advise spending more than $10 or $20 for "BMW Apps". It's little more than a gimmick to try once. The Apps themselves are great: Pandora, Amazon, Radio, Lap timer, etc. but it's nearly impossible to use them. The process is as follows:

1. Launch the BMW app on your phone and wait for it to complete loading
2. Remove your pen drive from the usb port and connect iphone cable (or connect an outdated phone to an expensive snap-in cradle)
3. Completely and permanently delete your bluetooth configuration (it will automatically guide you thru this process)
4. Dig deep thru the iDrive menu to find "Apps" and select it to start loading
5. Individual apps eventually begin to appear in the iDrive menu and can be started
6. Repeat the entire process every time you start the car, change apps, change to radio, etc.
7. Note that your phone cannot be used for any purpose while connected and that the car will revert to radio or whatever every time you start it without the phone connected.

There is no possible explanation for some of the senseless issues like having to delete your entire bluetooth configuration, pull the door handle twice, or ensure the BMW app is running in the foreground at all times. But even without this insanity, the hassle of starting the app and connecting it every time you drive is just too much hassle for the minimal benefit of album art and stuff.

The alternative is to simply start Pandora, etc on your phone and stream thru bluetooth. There's no art, thumbs up/down, or station selection thru iDrive but at least it works effortlessly and transparently. Your phone automatically pauses when you park and instantly resumes when you return the next day.

And then there's reliability. Bluetooth streaming works well 80-90% of the time but the BMW app / USB connection only works maybe 40% of the time.
That's not entirely true anymore.

1) BMW changed the Connected App so you can access the apps while the app is running, but in the background (removing the requirement to always have your Connected App on the screen). As long as it's running (available in the task switcher) you can use the apps while connected.

2) You don't have to completely delete the Bluetooth profile, you just need to disable Bluetooth Audio streaming from the iDrive Bluetooth devices while connected via USB cable (my CIC actually did this for me, informing me that you can't have USB and Bluetooth Music active at the same time).

3) You don't have the launch apps like Pandora, Spotify, etc via the Apps Menu or the Connected App. Say if you wanted to just listen to Spotify, just open the Spotify app and connect the USB cable. Spotify will automatically start the BMW integration and Spotify will show up as an option on the Multimedia Menu.

This is how is worked on my CIC (with latest software on the CIC and Combox) on my old 3-series and how it still works on my NBT (again with latest software on NBT and it's built-in Combox) on my M5.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

So for someone like me that JUST wants to unlock / lock his car via his phone... On a 2010 335i coupe, what do I need to buy?

I dont care about apps, etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

I use BMW Remote app for IPhone but you need BMW ConnectedDrive Remote Services (yearly fee)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #19
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
I use BMW Remote app for IPhone but you need BMW ConnectedDrive Remote Services (yearly fee)
SO you're saying my car already has this ability? I just need to call and pay/activate?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #20
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
SO you're saying my car already has this ability? I just need to call and pay/activate?
If your vehicle is equipped with BMW Assist / ConnectedDrive and you are paying for the BMW Assist subscription. Yes, you already have this ability, you just need the BMW Remote app for your phone and your login to your ConnectedDrive account.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #21
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have an apps activated cic unit if anyone is interested. Its one of the units without internal sdars.
Appreciate 0