E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 M3 in showroom (now with pics)

04-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #45
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
You learn a lot on this forum and its not all about cars...
Careful - you'll give the GAME away. lol.

James - can't wait to see the pics of your mods. Admire you having the guts to get it all done TBH.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #46
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Not wrong Phil! My (very blonde, blue eyed) boy has exactly the same effect.

Like the M3 E90; I always go for the 'anti-establishment' choice, and something just appeals about a 4 door M3. After all, WTCC cars are based on 4 doors so why not?
Saloon M3 should look better than it does though for £50K+ Maybe it's the Silver paint that doesn't do it justice in the pics below. The M5 saloon appears to have more of a presence than the M3 saloon (size aside). Can't quite put my finger on it!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #47
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I have seen an E90 M3 in Techno Violet (indi colour) with red leather and it looked the Bollox!
      04-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #48
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
The M3 Saloon is hot! Now critics cant complain of the 'lack of space' of the coupe compared to their rivals! More money for Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
All car's have different benefits and compromises - yes, the couple will almost certainly handle a little better than the 'vert BUT the vert has been designed with the extra weight in mind and the chassis tuned appropriately during the design stages.

The trade off for the slight dulling in performance is the ability to drop the roof and enjoy open top motoring without any unsightly roll bars whilst still having four full seats and decent performance.

BMW even uprated the engine in the verts - my 325i has a 3.0 litre, the equivalent 325i coupe at the time was only a 2.5 litre. This was BM's way of trying to address the trade off.

Just because it might go round the track a second slower does not make it a worse car.
+1
Well said man!

Motoring perfection is by no means, the quickest car. As W.O Bentley said himself, "Acceleration corrupts overall performance.."

Some people believe motoring to be all about speed, handling, weight, etc... and they're entitled to the opinion. Any type of motorsport I think of is to do with 'the quickest time to/around...' So yes, Speed is the major contributing factor that has driven the car industry to where it is today.

But as redE93cab says, for some its more than just speed. The Phantom Drophead, Mazda MX5, BMW Isetta... my point is these cars can do something that cars like Impreza's and F430's could never dream of achieving.
I call it Balance.

When it comes to Coupe vs. Convert, let me put it this way.

U can have a Gallardo Coupe, built for speed on a track, looks good, sounds good, but beaten by competition (i.e. F430 Coupe for purpose)

Or you can have a Gallardo Spyder, slightly slower, but looks unquestionably pretty, beats the F430 Spyder for purpose and speed, and allows u to lower the roof, shift down a gear and listen to the best sounding road car in production IMO.

That is MOTORING PERFECTON.

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #49
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
For me the M3 saloon just doesn't really do it. I would have preferred that they kept the saloon style front end. To me it looks a bit like the penny pinchers went in and told the engineers that they had to use common parts with the E92/3 M3 or they couldn't have the saloon.

For me the saloon (and touring?) are more about making a q-car, whereas the coupe and convertible are about making a styling statement as much as a quick car. To this end I'd prefer to see the saloon (and touring?) share the standard cars silhouette.I love a completely normal looking touring that could blow all bar supercars into the weeds.

Anyway... enough of all that lets get and comment on the nutter with the 335i

Looks like the mods are coming on strong at the moment James. Are you trying to make sure that Carlos doesn't see you for dust at UK5?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #50
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Back to the fourth post, I wonder if BMW is going to fix those rusty rotors in the third picture under warranty. Also the rusty muffler in the fourth picture.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0