E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LB 335i Build

08-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

LB 335i Build

2009 e92 Lemans Blue 6spd with 40k.

Procede Rev3, ETS 7", Raceland DPs DCIs and a 4 link solid differential mount.

Hardwired Laser Interceptor Dual Head 8.9 & Beltronics STI Driver.

Needs rims and fat rubber still

Only before pic for now (one from the dealer (:?)), car put down 260/275 on dynojet another 335i put down 275/285 on a different day on the same dyno.

Baseline dyno : 260/275
2nd Dyno was done with Rev3, ETS, Raceland DPs and stock airbox on Stg 3 maps. AFRs were bad and the car was not running right at all. 343/371
*rd Dyno: 400/460 Spraying meth @ 18 PSI and 15 degrees of timing, my next bump up will have to be done while dyno-tuning.
Attached Images

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Last edited by uniter; 05-01-2014 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: Added new dynos
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
335twins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 M40i, 2019 M2Comp

i like what i see, nice, im jelous.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Been a while,
Car received a DEFIV Fabrication 335i Lock down kit to battle wheel-hop and miscellaneous general bullshit while hooning.
A UUC EVO SSK 3 + DSSR was thrown on (UUC Did a horrible logistics job, get a vendor to price match them during a promotion and you'll actually get your parts.) Red poly trans mounts as well for good measure.
Rogue Engineering Delrin Carrier Bushings (Ben @ Rogue is always a pleasure to deal with, had the Rogue SSK not been discontinued I would have definitely sourced one from them!)
To take the daily abuse a ClutchMasters Dual Disk kit was fitted, street trim.
Another little treat I had put in is a one-off complete pipe replacement for my stock intake, this is from the turbo inlets forward done by also by Defiv fabrication.

All the work was done by Rick@Defiv, as always he was prompt with status updates, pictures via text, etc and his work was top-notch.

Initial impressions: The UUC EVO SSK3 increases shift effort significantly over stock. This is a normal property of physics, less leverage = more effort. That being said the DSSR and SSK work together to provide excellent mechanical feedback and a short shift. I appreciate the peace of mind the combo provides. The Rogue Engineering Delrin carrier bushings further tighten things up.

The ClutchMasters kit was a bit of a nightmare in sourcing and install:
There were two problems during the install, the first was that I was shipped an 8 bolt flywheel whereas I have a 6 bolt crank, normally not an issue but ClutchMasters spent a month making a new flywheel (this flywheel had to be modified further to actually fit at my expense.) If you're thinking about getting a flywheel from any company be sure to first check your VIN against your dealership to figure out which type of flywheel you have. CM told me there were 4 variants.
The second problem was that the clutch disks CM sent out were the wrong height, this didn't present an issue when first installed until the engine turned over, the throw-out-bearing sleeve seized with the friction disk and caused a bunch of damage. CM over-nighted the correct parts, however my parts and labor came out of pocket yet again.

I'm at 500 miles on the clutch now and have had a chance to give it a good long beating and have some initial impressions..

The engagement point is much higher than stock, it also engages over a significantly reduced area of pedal movement and also much -harder-. This was a bit difficult to drive at first, but now I've got the hang of it and can drive it pretty well.
There's quite a noise when trying to accelerate from <3k, I'm not sure if this is related to the red poly mounts on my trans or not.. If I get a chance to swap them I'll report back. Generally though when you're trying to drive in a spirited manner your car doesn't RPMs under 3k.

Chatter is pronounced. I raised my idle points by 250RPM via INPA but be-advised that the ECU doesn't follow this to a T, idle points between the stock 650ish to 1,000 rpm did -not- eliminate chatter. The chatter is pronounced however I don't find that it is noticeable over the sound of my radio, nor is it overly loud from the exterior of the car.

Power shifts are better now, with a great amount of bite in each gear at any RPM.

My car is really appreciating the DEFIV kit with the additional spite and anger the clutchmasters kit doles out, the rear end is rock solid. I really can't complain.

As for the final tidbit the intake piping is really awesome, Rick custom fabricated pipes for the front and rear turbos and located the filter in the front air dam behind the passenger side fog light where it gets the most cold air. All the piping was wrapped in gold heat reflective tape to keep the intake temps at their minimum. Sounds great and the car is more eager to build boost than ever. Once the weather improves I'll be working on making my tune more aggressive to accommodate the increased performance.

I haven't gone to the dyno yet, but I'm excited to see what's happened with my numbers.
Attached Images

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Last edited by uniter; 03-18-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
E92mech
E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport

Nice. I have 2010 E92 LeMans M-sport, black trim, Cobb st1+, Quaife LSD, ETS 5" intercooler, quad LI 8.9 and STiR+ with displays hardwired into rear view mirror. I love LeMans. Are those 18" or 19" wheels you're running? I'm thinking about getting some forgestars or Enkei but I can't decide if I want to stay 19" or go 18" and save some weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

E92mech:
I'm working with the same damn debate What decides it for me is that the roads out here are absolute garbage, I'll bash the 19s to bit, 18s will have a fighting chance.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
E92mech
E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Le Mans M-Sport

Yup. I have the OEM type 225 19" wheels which look badass but weigh ~28lbs. I think if you get the right 18" it can look just as good, and I could potentially save 10lbs per wheel. That's huge, esp since I want to start doing some HPDE.

How does the DEFIV lockdown kit affect daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92mech View Post
Yup. I have the OEM type 225 19" wheels which look badass but weigh ~28lbs. I think if you get the right 18" it can look just as good, and I could potentially save 10lbs per wheel. That's huge, esp since I want to start doing some HPDE.

How does the DEFIV lockdown kit affect daily driving?
For DD it really only improves those "aggressive launches" in bad weather. Day to day the rear end is more solid, the car is more planted.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
Been a while,
Car received a DEFIV Fabrication 335i Lock down kit to battle wheel-hop and miscellaneous general bullshit while hooning.
A UUC EVO SSK 3 + DSSR was thrown on (UUC Did a horrible logistics job, get a vendor to price match them during a promotion and you'll actually get your parts.) Red poly trans mounts as well for good measure.
Rogue Engineering Delrin Carrier Bushings (Ben @ Rogue is always a pleasure to deal with, had the Rogue SSK not been discontinued I would have definitely sourced one from them!)
To take the daily abuse a ClutchMasters Dual Disk kit was fitted, street trim.
Another little treat I had put in is a one-off complete pipe replacement for my stock intake, this is from the turbo inlets forward done by also by Defiv fabrication.

All the work was done by Rick@Defiv, as always he was prompt with status updates, pictures via text, etc and his work was top-notch.

Initial impressions: The UUC EVO SSK3 increases shift effort significantly over stock. This is a normal property of physics, less leverage = more effort. That being said the DSSR and SSK work together to provide excellent mechanical feedback and a short shift. I appreciate the peace of mind the combo provides. The Rogue Engineering Delrin carrier bushings further tighten things up.

The ClutchMasters kit was a bit of a nightmare in sourcing and install:
There were two problems during the install, the first was that I was shipped an 8 bolt flywheel whereas I have a 6 bolt crank, normally not an issue but ClutchMasters spent a month making a new flywheel (this flywheel had to be modified further to actually fit at my expense.) If you're thinking about getting a flywheel from any company be sure to first check your VIN against your dealership to figure out which type of flywheel you have. CM told me there were 4 variants.
The second problem was that the clutch disks CM sent out were the wrong height, this didn't present an issue when first installed until the engine turned over, the throw-out-bearing sleeve seized with the friction disk and caused a bunch of damage. CM over-nighted the correct parts, however my parts and labor came out of pocket yet again.

I'm at 500 miles on the clutch now and have had a chance to give it a good long beating and have some initial impressions..

The engagement point is much higher than stock, it also engages over a significantly reduced area of pedal movement and also much -harder-. This was a bit difficult to drive at first, but now I've got the hang of it and can drive it pretty well.
There's quite a noise when trying to accelerate from <3k, I'm not sure if this is related to the red poly mounts on my trans or not.. If I get a chance to swap them I'll report back. Generally though when you're trying to drive in a spirited manner your car doesn't RPMs under 3k.

Chatter is pronounced. I raised my idle points by 250RPM via INPA but be-advised that the ECU doesn't follow this to a T, idle points between the stock 650ish to 1,000 rpm did -not- eliminate chatter. The chatter is pronounced however I don't find that it is noticeable over the sound of my radio, nor is it overly loud from the exterior of the car.

Power shifts are better now, with a great amount of bite in each gear at any RPM.

My car is really appreciating the DEFIV kit with the additional spite and anger the clutchmasters kit doles out, the rear end is rock solid. I really can't complain.

As for the final tidbit the intake piping is really awesome, Rick custom fabricated pipes for the front and rear turbos and located the filter in the front air dam behind the passenger side fog light where it gets the most cold air. All the piping was wrapped in gold heat reflective tape to keep the intake temps at their minimum. Sounds great and the car is more eager to build boost than ever. Once the weather improves I'll be working on making my tune more aggressive to accommodate the increased performance.

I haven't gone to the dyno yet, but I'm excited to see what's happened with my numbers.
Just for future reference, the spec clutches have been very popular and they offer a 6 bolt or 8 bolt flywheel.
6 bolt, traditionally, is for the 335is and 1m. However, there is a rare occurrence where some 335i get the 6 bolt.

Spec also offers a steel flywheel to reduce chatter VS the aluminum flywheel options.

Not to trying to sound like I'm pushing spec but it's good to know there are other options out there, especially for people reading.

I would avoid any aftermarket single mass flyhweels if you can. They are not needed unless you are pushing over 500WHP.

Stick with the OEM DMFW at any costs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Stick with the OEM DMFW at any costs.
CM Has 6 bolt F/W's they just didn't have any in stock. For my purposes I'm eventually going single or twin + additional fueling so I need the extra holding power.

As for sticking with the OEM DMFW; I know first hand that these can fail with much less than 500HP. FBO without meth or eth I blew up my first DMFW, it shattered.

My second one on teardown was on its way out, lots of play. These DMFWs can degrade over time and eventually nuke. Depends on the driver of course. They are definitely not made for over 350HP.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Great write up! I can't wait to see how she does on the dyno!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
CM Has 6 bolt F/W's they just didn't have any in stock. For my purposes I'm eventually going single or twin + additional fueling so I need the extra holding power.

As for sticking with the OEM DMFW; I know first hand that these can fail with much less than 500HP. FBO without meth or eth I blew up my first DMFW, it shattered.

My second one on teardown was on its way out, lots of play. These DMFWs can degrade over time and eventually nuke. Depends on the driver of course. They are definitely not made for over 350HP.
Hmm that's weird we have several guys making over 450WHP on stock DMFW. Perhaps the driver was a little abusive

Eitherway it sounds like you have your stuff in order.

If anyone wants a single mass flywheel, atleast go with the steel option, it has a lot less chatter.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Perhaps the driver was a little abusive
All day, every day.

Appreciate 1
      10-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Update; Car is in getting a methanol setup (finally). Wavetrac is almost completely nuked. Lots of noise / slop. Had to replace an axle.
Many miles on the clutch & running strong. Replaced wheels with r888s; these are super-grippy.
Turbos blew out & were replaced with Vargas stg0 w/ upgraded wheels (my real turbo upgrade will be twin scroll single.)

Pics/details around methanol setup to come.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

HFS-4 I would hope?

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

The procede should be more than capable of controlling this setup. Magic hotness will be delivered another way.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

That is all.

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Custom port injected meth? Very cool idea but that must be a nightmare in terms of reliability. Nice that all of the cylinders will in theory receive an even spray though.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

That is all.
There was sooo much wet with that it reminded me more of an ex girlfriend than what I would want spraying in my engine. A little too much liquid and not enough vapor for my tastes. GL
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
There was sooo much wet with that it reminded me more of an ex girlfriend than what I would want spraying in my engine. A little too much liquid and not enough vapor for my tastes. GL
Bah!

But yea, IDK if spraying directly from the manifold allows for proper atomization.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr hungry View Post
Hahaha! Thanks pwr hungry for the vivid yet comical description. Have to agree here. Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of atomization on the spray. Could be dangerous.

Also where does the car measure IAT's?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

You guys are armchairing a low-resolution video Youtube will take noise and make big blocks out of it.

I assure you that it mists fine and that it works well with no hiccups. Doing its job just fine.

Maintenance isn't really 'harder' with this than any other meth setup.

IAT sensor is being sorted out, no worries there.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep

Works good enough for daily spray.

400/460, 18PSI @ 15.1 Degrees & 12.4 AFR Target. I need to dyno tune it to extract maximum smooth performance.

Appreciate 0