E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $500+ diagnosis....$1700 quote!!

06-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
It is but stop with the comments....I would like it too. I'm pissed right now and your comments makes me even more pissed. Like if I knew where you lived I would come beat you.
I actually just laughed out loud at work, people are now looking at me.

Listen, you're gonna win the meeting tomorrow, or you're gonna take it to BMW NA. They'll help if the dealer doesn't. You clearly have a strong argument. They're probably just trying to see what they can get out of you. Don't sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by granadablanca View Post
I actually just laughed out loud at work, people are now looking at me.

Listen, you're gonna win the meeting tomorrow, or you're gonna take it to BMW NA. They'll help if the dealer doesn't. You clearly have a strong argument. They're probably just trying to see what they can get out of you. Don't sweat it.
Is the SA really that stupid? I gave him the P code. I told him my check valve was leaking behind my brake booster. He commented me on my 3M Di-NOC CF roof. I told him I installed it myself. I told him I was bleeding my brakes this weekend...myself. Did he really think he could get me?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

And I get called a troll?

OP that is beyond f'ed up. Obviously order all the parts yourself, then diy what you can. Then contact a indy shop to do the rest of the labor. Fucking stealerships...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #26
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Is the SA really that stupid?
Very possible. If you had any idea the nonsense I've been going through with my SA, you'd agreed they can easily be that stupid.

Coincidentally, one of these big issues was a bad booster, with symptoms just like yours. Well, three boosters and a check valve later, plus a visit from the RTE, and it's finally fixed. That's a story for another day.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #27
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
And I get called a troll?

OP that is beyond f'ed up. Obviously order all the parts yourself, then diy what you can. Then contact a indy shop to do the rest of the labor. Fucking stealerships...
I'm thinking I'm not even going to buy the part. It is a low pressure check system...I'm thinking about just getting some parts from the hardware store like this:

The gold pieces.

All I need is for the system to pressurize and vent gases. This will do. All I need to do is cut the part of the hose with the hole in it and push the 2 ends onto one of those pieces and zip tie them. Obviously, I need one with just 2 nozzles.

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-10-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

I have a fairly ignorant question...Is the EVAP part of the emissions system? I thought the warranty on emissions components was longer than the 4/50K. I'm actually surprised that something like that wouldn't be considered a major component and is not covered by the CPO extended warranty.

Okay, and now I must keep it going....Love the floor!

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #29
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

sorry for your situation, good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #30
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
I have a fairly ignorant question...Is the EVAP part of the emissions system? I thought the warranty on emissions components was longer than the 4/50K. I'm actually surprised that something like that wouldn't be considered a major component and is not covered by the CPO extended warranty.

I'm not going to answer your question.

Just playing. I'm alittle cooled off now. Anyway what the EVAP system does is vent your fuel tank. You fuel system is sealed and when you use gas a vacuum is formed in the tank. The EVAP system allows air into the tank to prevent this vacuum. Gas also expands and on hot days your gas will cause pressure in the tank. The EVAP system also vents this pressure. The hose that has a hole in it is the vent hose. The car pressurizes this hose to check for leaks...thus my P0442 code. And yes the EVAP system is part of emissions. Any SES light is related to emissions. I also can't pass NJ state inspection because of this. My inspection sticker expired last month.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Wall O'Text
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post

I looked at the extended warranty contract and it doesn't say anything, except that it doesn't cover what's already covered by another warranty. Like you said, perhaps emissions is separate. I wouldn't pay $1700 when Nissan overcharges as well and it's $380.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #33
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      06-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

Dude I just watched your sig like 10 times...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #35
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I looked at the extended warranty contract and it doesn't say anything, except that it doesn't cover what's already covered by another warranty. Like you said, perhaps emissions is separate. I wouldn't pay $1700 when Nissan overcharges as well and it's $380.
Ohh I'm not paying it. Look at my post earlier. I'm getting a $1 part from the hardware store and fixing it myself.

So this is what I'm going to say to the SA tomorrow:

I told you exactly what to check so there was no need to scan my car. I told you the P code and that I knew there was a leak in the system. From the pictures it's obvious that you can see the leak without dropping all the components you did. You acknowledged that you knew about the check valve problem I had in my brake pedal. I have the service bulletin heuhh.
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340607g.htm

So you're telling me you took 5 hours to run a smoke test and check my brake booster's check valve, which you should have known about, and you expect me to pay you $500+ for the "time" and "labor" you spent working on my car. I don't think so.

I was eyeing that watch you have in the display case over there. Give me a good deal on it and this won't go to BMW NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

Hahaha I know it's long. But when I'm mad...I type forever. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #36
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
I'm not going to answer your question.

Just playing. I'm alittle cooled off now. Anyway what the EVAP system does is vent your fuel tank. You fuel system is sealed and when you use gas a vacuum is formed in the tank. The EVAP system allows air into the tank to prevent this vacuum. Gas also expands and on hot days your gas will cause pressure in the tank. The EVAP system also vents this pressure. The hose that has a hole in it is the vent hose. The car pressurizes this hose to check for leaks...thus my P0442 code. And yes the EVAP system is part of emissions. Any SES light is related to emissions. I also can't pass NJ state inspection because of this. My inspection sticker expired last month.
Thanks for answering anyway!

I did a little checking, and if it with the fuel system, though it is a hose, it would be part of the fuel system, which technically is covered?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Covered.aspx

According to the Sevice & Warranty manual, the Federal emissions warranty is 8 years/80K miles. I didn't read the entire description, but maybe there's a possibility.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #37
CINCYFAN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 & G05

Garage List
Quote:
Umm I have an extended warranty...it's not covered. Every extended warranty is CPO. BMW CPO's the car before your allowed to get an extended warranty.
Sorry to hear about your experiece with this service department. However, I'm a little confused by your comments on all BMW extended warranties being CPO. Maybe I missed it but did you buy the car as a CPO? Is the extended warranty that someone who buys the car new the same as the CPO coverage?
​​​​​​​
Life is short, drive what you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

dude- more people would read your post if you used paragraphs.

f- the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #39
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYFAN View Post
Sorry to hear about your experiece with this service department. However, I'm a little confused by your comments on all BMW extended warranties being CPO. Maybe I missed it but did you buy the car as a CPO? Is the extended warranty that someone who buys the car new the same as the CPO coverage?
Actually, thinking about it you may be right. I was really mad before so I wasn't thinking straight. I've owned the car since it was built. I leased the car for the first 3 years. Released it and that's why it got CPO'd. Bought the extended warranty with the most "coverage" after hitting 50K. I'm at 53K....I want to buy it out but never will I go to a dealer again...unless of course I'm buying a new BMW.

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-10-2010 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
dude- more people would read your post if you used paragraphs.

f- the dealer.
Lol my bad. I was pissed and I just type for ever. My post #35 kinda sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #41
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I can't see why the rear subframe needs to be dropped to replace that hose. It looks like part # 10 to me. I think you have the correct approach, but my question is, what caused the hole in the first place? It should't get a hole in the vent pipe unless a rodent chewed it (like one did on my car) or the vent pipe was installed at the factory incorrectly and a hole eventually rubbed into the hose. If it was a rodent, then your insurance should cover it, if it was improperly installed then the CPO would cover it. Either way the vent hose should not have failed, no matter the mileage. The vent hoses are thick PVC and not easily damaged besides being completely covered by the rear valence panel.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #42
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I can't see why the rear subframe needs to be dropped to replace that hose. It looks like part # 10 to me. I think you have the correct approach, but my question is, what caused the hole in the first place? It should't get a hole in the vent pipe unless a rodent chewed it (like one did on my car) or the vent pipe was installed at the factory incorrectly and a hole eventually rubbed into the hose. If it was a rodent, then your insurance should cover it, if it was improperly installed then the CPO would cover it. Either way the vent hose should not have failed, no matter the mileage. The vent hoses are thick PVC and not easily damaged besides being completely covered by the rear valence panel.
I mentioned I got in an accident and had some welding done. I know it's a long post...you probably missed that. A mig welder was used to reinforce the mount on the rear axle carrier for the rear toe link. The shop may have melted it. Not really worried about that. Accidents happen. I know I should go after them for it but the way I'm fixing it will be fine. If that fails then I'll go after them. Just to clarify, I'm pissed about the $500+ for labor they are trying to charge me. $500 to run a smoke test? I don't think so. I'm not too pissed about the quote because I'm not do it there. But $1700 to replace the hose is insane. It's a $50 hose and at $125/hour...11 hours to get the job done. $1375 for labor and $425 for the hose? Doesn't add up. Maybe at $150/hour. Regardless it's expensive.

Anyone know how to replace the check valve behind the brake booster? I heard it's easy and a $20 part. Again $670 for it? They think I'm stupid...they're the ones that are in for a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #43
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Who did your work?
      06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #44
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
An indy shop in Philly by my apt. Regardless of who did it or if they in fact are responsible, it's the fact that this dealer is trying to charge me an arm and a leg because I drive a loaded 330xi and am 20 years old.
Appreciate 0