E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Where To Access Engine Temperature?

06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Where To Access Engine Temperature?

Sup Guys,

This may be a stupid question, however i cannot locate any information related to engine temperature in my owners manual or my idrive. Basically, i just want to know where i would access this information on my vehicle. This is the first BMW ive owned so i am not too familiar with it. We are currently experiencing a heat wave in NY and want to ensure my car's temperature is where it should be and that there are no concerns with overheating.

I own a 2006 330XI with navigation idrive.

Thanks in advance

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Search for "BMW hidden menu." I've been using it the last few days too.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

I did a search and found it but don't see where Am I able to access the engine temperature through these hidden menus?

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
I did a search and found it but don't see where Am I able to access the engine temperature through these hidden menus?
After you start the car and all messages (service, light bulb warnings, etc) are gone press and hold the mileage reset button until you see tiny German text. Press, but don't hold, the mileage reset button to change pages. Pausing on a page momentarily will go to that page's sub menu. To go back to the main menu press and hold the mileage reset button.

Go to page 19. And pause. You will need to enter in a code to get access to the menus you want. Your code is the sum of the last several digits folioing "KR" of your VIN. Tap the reset button to increase the number. Don't pause until you get to your number.

Once the code is entered, it will default to page 1 again. Go to page 7 for water temp. City driving usually will be about 80C and freeway driving will be at about 90C. You will have to do this every time you turn off the car if you want to see the water temp display.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
After you start the car and all messages (service, light bulb warnings, etc) are gone press and hold the mileage reset button until you see tiny German text. Press, but don't hold, the mileage reset button to change pages. Pausing on a page momentarily will go to that page's sub menu. To go back to the main menu press and hold the mileage reset button.

Go to page 19. And pause. You will need to enter in a code to get access to the menus you want. Your code is the sum of the last several digits folioing "KR" of your VIN. Tap the reset button to increase the number. Don't pause until you get to your number.

Once the code is entered, it will default to page 1 again. Go to page 7 for water temp. City driving usually will be about 80C and freeway driving will be at about 90C. You will have to do this every time you turn off the car if you want to see the water temp display.
Iv'e done this and my temp is between 99C and 105C. Is this to hot ? If so,what is the cure?

Last edited by bbstoke; 09-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstoke View Post
Iv'e done this and my temp is between 99C and 105C. Is this to hot ? If so,what is the cure?
Others have reported higher temps like yours:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=hidden+menu
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
bbstoke
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Others have reported higher temps like yours:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=hidden+menu
Thanks for that. Seems it's quite normal.
Appreciate 0