E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Megan Racing - Rear Trailing Arms

09-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Megan Racing - Rear Trailing Arms

Can someone more knowledgable please explain the purpose of these:

http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=892&catid=54

I'm definitely picking up the toe arms but feel like these are overkill for me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

To reduce axle wind up and wheel hop.
      09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Thanks for the reply. Are you running them?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

I'm running the Megan toe arms, and their so called 'camber arms' and 'trailing arms, which are actually the upper links and guide rods, respectively. I was pleasantly surprised when these turned out to be guide rods and not trailing arms, as the trailing arm in our cars doesn't really do much in the suspension. While it is difficult to say whether or not the individual piece makes a difference over the stock piece, simply because I installed everything at once, I can say that I have zero wheel hop, zero shimmying with 480wtq. I can't even say the car squats and goes...it just goes, no squatting needed. It remains planted with no winding up and shimmying at high speed, no wiggling when letting off throttle...none of the negative characteristics that the stock rear stuff exhibits. BTW, in addition to the above, out back I have M3 subframe bushings, M3 swaybars, Wavetrac LSD, Powerflex diff bushings and shock mounts, and KW Street Comfort coilovers.
      09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6 View Post
BTW, in addition to the above, out back I have M3 subframe bushings, M3 swaybars, Wavetrac LSD, Powerflex diff bushings and shock mounts, and KW Street Comfort coilovers.
That is a kick ass set up!
      09-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Thanks for the reply. Are you running them?
No. M3 rear guide rods and upper links. A couple guys are running the Megan links and no one's reported any unusual noises or problems, yet. The oe guide rods are designed to flex; don't know why but replacing their bushings with something firmer would be a waste, so your viable options for guide rods are M3 or Megan; I'd go M3. I wouldn't bother with rear upper links on a street driven car unless you're running a very stiff suspension and/or high hp
      09-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm running the Megan toe arms, and their so called 'camber arms' and 'trailing arms, which are actually the upper links and guide rods, respectively. I was pleasantly surprised when these turned out to be guide rods and not trailing arms, as the trailing arm in our cars doesn't really do much in the suspension. While it is difficult to say whether or not the individual piece makes a difference over the stock piece, simply because I installed everything at once, I can say that I have zero wheel hop, zero shimmying with 480wtq. I can't even say the car squats and goes...it just goes, no squatting needed. It remains planted with no winding up and shimmying at high speed, no wiggling when letting off throttle...none of the negative characteristics that the stock rear stuff exhibits. BTW, in addition to the above, out back I have M3 subframe bushings, M3 swaybars, Wavetrac LSD, Powerflex diff bushings and shock mounts, and KW Street Comfort coilovers.
How about that KW SC review? Actually, I hope to see a review in 1-2 yrs
      09-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
That is a kick ass set up!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
How about that KW SC review? Actually, I hope to see a review in 1-2 yrs
LOL, it's coming, I'm having rubbing issues with my OEM style 359s+265/30/19 PSSes which are preventing me from completing the "spirited driving" part of my review...should be resolved within a week or so. Thus far, driving semi spiritedly, I can say that it really is an amazing street setup.
      09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't done the Megan 'camber arms' and 'trailing arms' yet.
But just with the Megan toe arms (along with Wavetrac LSD, m3 sway, m3 sub bushings), I encounter a decent amount of wheelhop from a dig...and of course squatting with the oe sport suspension.

So the additional parts that you have back there are certainly making a difference. I can't wait to complete the setup you're running
Appreciate 0