E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > The D might not be right for me :(

08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

The D might not be right for me :(

Due to some major losses in financial income, I will be most likely unable to keep my D . I don't care to go into detail about my situation. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on a reasonably fun car with decent MPG's for around 20-25k. I only need this to last me maybe 1 year until I am back on my feet. It needs a good resale value as well.

Thanks in advance, in a year I most likely will buy another 335d, only this time I'll look for a Msport, lol.
      08-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't suppose you want to get a used BMW do you? They are reasonably fun and a 328 can be had in the price range you describe. I rented a Maxima at the airport once. It was reasonably fun and very roomy. If the car magazines are to be believed, a Ford Focus ST is a lot of fun and is in that price range and as new cars go, may be the most fun you can have for $20K-$25K.

Sorry to read you are going through a "sh*t happens" period. All the best for a speedy resolution to your issue(s).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

getting rid of your D sounds painful lol

jk sorry about your situation man, can never go wrong with lexus is or audi A series, if you want cheap and fun go s2000 or even a civic
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Get a used r32 (v6) at the right price (probably just a bit shy of 20) and it will barely depreciate (you might even be able to sell it more than your purchase price if you negotiate well on both ends) and you'll have a ton of fun driving it!

Mazsaspeed3 is cheapish fun (used) as is the MS6 (if you can find one).

You could probably find a 99-00 miata in decent nick for under 6k and you will never want to sell it + maintenance couldn't be cheaper if you do it yourself....AND it'll make a good track car once you get back into something more luxurious (if you choose to) as a DD...hell for 20-25, you could buy it, beef up the chassis, drop an LS1 in it and have yourself a bimmer-slaying monster miata. For reference

P.s. sorry to hear about your situation, but good choice ditching the car! If I ever get into a bind, the cars & parts will be the first things to go...they're not exactly investment grade anyway.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-24-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Sorry to hear about that fellow Teufelhunden. Suggest you grab a CPO E92 328i M-Sport, E46 M3 (hopefully a non-beaten one) or dare I say venture into Audi and get a B7 S4? Never downgrade or you'll sorely regret it!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Ill decide what I can do. Hopefully I can keep my D. Maybe just a refinancing is all ill need.
      08-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

Get a GLI or a GTI if mpg is important get a TDi and chip it.

DON'T GET A NON-GERMAN.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
FWIW, the only car that I listed that I'd consider a downgrade is the MS6. It takes a certain type to appreciate a hot hatch or a miata, but they are very well-respected cars by any true enthusiast.

I know we like having egocentric testosterone-filled conversations on these types of sites, but I'll tell you a secret: the 335d (or any other car not purchased wisely as an investment only) is very likely a huge waste of money.

Everyone here had certain priorities and decided the d was a good compromise of money wasted, performance, efficiency, styling, & size. But anyone who really only cared about how well a car handles would've never bought most german vehicles because of the weight, similarly, they wouldn't have bought a 3er if they weighted luxury or a twin turbo l6 diesel if they weighted efficiency, and wouldn't have bought any low end vehicle (sports, luxury, or otherwise) if they didn't care about how much money they were about to waste.

S&p is up 16+% this year.
Meanwhile, my car has depreciated 17% based on mileage alone (forget age) at 30kmi.
Total loss compared to market average is 33% (and this is assuming you can't beat the market)
...don't forget to add in whatever the rate of the loan is if you have one.
...and the operational costs (don't forget insurance, fuel, maintenance, car washes, etc)
...See where I'm going here?

Hopefully you can keep the d and it proves to be a wise choice, but try not to put too much of an emphasis on something that's costing you more than any other "asset" in your net worth. Don't be afraid to--in the beloved words of the Doggy--drop it like its hot when/if the time comes. You may miss the car--that's just how our brains work--but you won't regret the decision as long as you make the right choice (fiscally) on the next ride.

Either way, best of luck with everything. Whether you keep the d, rid yourself of it permanently, or decide to someday return to the group, you'll always be welcome here brother!

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
My criteria shifted from an obsession with driving down my TCO on a cost per mile basis with my old '86 Jetta diesel to throwing caution to the winds with my D, while throwing a bone to the virtues of its fuel efficiency. If there is a successor to the D for me, it will likely be back to something that I judge more practical for an old geezer like a GTD. It is amusing for me to read all the forum inputs.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
My criteria shifted from an obsession with driving down my TCO on a cost per mile basis with my old '86 Jetta diesel to throwing caution to the winds with my D, while throwing a bone to the virtues of its fuel efficiency. If there is a successor to the D for me, it will likely be back to something that I judge more practical for an old geezer like a GTD. It is amusing for me to read all the forum inputs.
Tbh, Jack, I share the old geezer mentality...in many ways, i miss my wifes old corrolla; such a great car from the cost of operation and peace of mind stand-point. There's a lot to be said for driving a car you don't mind getting beaten up a bit when you park in DC on a daily basis.

I don't know what the next car will be, but likely something cheap, easy, and versatile (lightly used passat/Jetta TDI wagon perhaps; maybe a GTD if I'm feeling quirky) with a pre-depreciated classic in the garage on which I can get my wrench time fix. I plan to drag this diesel's life out as long as possible, though, so hopefully that's a long ways down the road.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-25-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
OP should look for a GTI, Golf TDi, Volvo C30, Focus GT. all fun. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Buy a 2010 or newer golf TDI. Super fun car and when chipped it has 170hp/285ft lbs and still gets 45mpg highway.

I sold mine to buy the D but it was extremely efficient and had German quality through and through. Just a tad bit boring. The gti returns around 22-23mpg for most drivers. Not that great, and costs the same or a little more than the TDI.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

a daily banger buy a TOYOTA the best car for your money as far as gas and endurance, or geta a used GTi very fun or mazda3 good luck I went thru something similar many years ago and now Im back on my feet good luck amigo JARHEAD! without us Squids you can never get around the world, Fairwinds and following Seas, Shipmate!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I know we like having egocentric testosterone-filled conversations on these types of sites, but I'll tell you a secret: the 335d (or any other car not purchased wisely as an investment only) is very likely a huge waste of money.
Couldn't agree with you more. Love my 335d but if I could go back in time, I'd save my money and get a BRZ or the new Mazda6. Hopefully with a inexpensive car, I could have enough to afford a Cayman S later in my life!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I wanted a 3 series, a diesel, and a sports car. If I had "settled" for a less expensive car, the money would have gone to waste with depreciation after two years on the lesser car and I would have been in the market for a car that I really wanted.

My way of getting a car is to get one that satisfies my needs. When it doesn't do it any more, I sell. It could be a year or two, or 10 years. Having a diesel version gives it a potential to save $$$ on fuel compared to a truly similar gasser also. So one person's view of "a waste of money" doesn't really apply over the long run. I'm not under the illusion that other cars, even less costly Japanese ones, would be "trouble free" with the current new technology and pollution controls.

As I truly love the 335d, but have had some SCR NOx and DPF fluid issues before 33k, I don't know where the relationship is going...

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. Love my 335d but if I could go back in time, I'd save my money and get a BRZ or the new Mazda6. Hopefully with a inexpensive car, I could have enough to afford a Cayman S later in my life!
Most of us don't buy car as investment. We do or at least I do, because I am car enthusiast and fan of BMW. For some people the car is to get them from point A to point B and any car would do it. For me I want to get where I am going and enjoy every moment of it.

To the OP, I saw you are looking to spend $25K for a car. It comes to $5K difference. I would just refinance your current car to lower the monthly payment. Looking at the resell of 335d I am not sure you can get more than $28K if you trade it in and $30K-$31K if you try to sell it by yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
For some people the car is to get them from point A to point B and any car would do it. For me I want to get where I am going and enjoy every moment of it.
Yeah, that's my issue right now. With my crappy daily commute, feel like my poor D is a waste and a cheaper car would of sufficed. I barely use it on the weekends because my friends offer to drive most of the time and even my parents refuse to borrow it because they're afraid they might crash it. So I'm not really looking at it as an investment either but just agreeing with FormerRotor that the D's deprecation rate is high and you'd be at a huge loss if you sold it right now. Also agree with him that if OP's gotta sell it, sell it. My fault for not making my opinion more clearer.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Don't get me wrong; I'm not an "a to b"guy myself and I'd rather drive a sports car than a luxury vehicle or econobox any day of the week. I realize that everything is relative and a minor investment in my own sanity when I drive as much as I do is the reason I bought the d and the reason Ive modified it slightly to make it my own.

However, above-base vehicles are undeniably money that most people don't NEED to spend (this was my original point). One may have it to spend, it may even make sense for one to spend it, but it wasn't typically money that NEEDED to be spent. The difference between a good [pick line of work] and a bad [pick line of work] is often his/her ability to recognize mistakes, look forward, and change paths accordingly. There is pride to be taken in cutting dead weight and taking time to rebuild as needed (been there, as many of us have over the last 7 years). Look at good corporate balance sheets and you'll see the same thing (assuming you can work through the fuzzy math ).

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Most of us don't buy car as investment. We do or at least I do, because I am car enthusiast and fan of BMW. For some people the car is to get them from point A to point B and any car would do it. For me I want to get where I am going and enjoy every moment of it.

To the OP, I saw you are looking to spend $25K for a car. It comes to $5K difference. I would just refinance your current car to lower the monthly payment. Looking at the resell of 335d I am not sure you can get more than $28K if you trade it in and $30K-$31K if you try to sell it by yourself.
This is what I have the only option for me, and I personally feel better about it. I get bored with cars easily, and I haven't yet with the 335d. I found out my cars trade-in is only worth 24k max (51k mi, $13k accident), and won't be worth it for a new car. I would just make the same mistake I have made earlier in my life and add more to a loan, lol.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
      08-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
This is what I have the only option for me, and I personally feel better about it. I get bored with cars easily, and I haven't yet with the 335d. I found out my cars trade-in is only worth 24k max (51k mi, $13k accident), and won't be worth it for a new car. I would just make the same mistake I have made earlier in my life and add more to a loan, lol.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
Yes. Hope it is the right decision for you. Usually if the car meets your needs and you enjoy driving it, its worth the expense IMO.

I once owned a 1992 320SE Mercedes which was too expensive by most anyone's "usefulness" measure, but the car was such a dream to drive in a time of great turbulence in my life that I don't regret having it for the time I did. Of course our needs changed so we traded it in!

PL
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
...Hope it is the right decision for you.
Usually if the car meets your needs and you enjoy driving it, its worth the expense...

PL
I couldn't agree more with both of those statements! Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
nonexistant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hands down Subaru BRZ

Brand new 25k, 34/25 MPG

Looks good...200HP boxer engine...RWD; needs a test drive
Appreciate 0