E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > vacuum line fix - low boost, underboost, 30ff, wastegate rattle

10-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #177
dakotaram
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
vacuum lines aren't the only things that break, the fittings they plug into can also break, causing same problem.

this one broke on a boost control solenoid, result was a car with 1/2 engine light and no power.
Yeah, they are brittle. damn, nipple broke right off.
Now I have to wait for new solenoids to get delivered to find out if I even fixed the leaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #178
zl0ca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

my rear silicone inlet popped off and I got it back on. When i pressurized the system up to 15-20psi to test the for boost leak I ended up leaking pressure at the oil cap. Bad PCV valve?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #179
Johnnyblaze535i
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palisades View Post
$700 at the dealership to fix the part I broke, and replace all the turbo related vacuum lines. So annoying.
Did the same shit yesterday.. Car was running fine until I had to be a dumb-ass and go out and get some new red silicone Shut out veroshish.. I'll link em up..

Anyway I would like maybe crazy good l ol... so I drilled out the broken side, through male adadapter and baooom... be sure to drill and go but by bir... so far not a dan sound.. Initial install boost solenoid.. 2 new, and holding boost. Was usually 2-4 psi off..
Now new solenoids lines , and a smooth ride.. think size was 3/8 .. I'll check post picks .fuck a dealer. This macgyver shit here yo
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #180
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

+1 Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #181
BMWerkeUSA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 760li, 2012 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfeir View Post
Here's a quick vacuum line fix that solved a lot of problems for me. My car's boost kept getting lower and lower, ultimately ended up around 3psi when it should have been 13.5psi. I made a boost leak tester which showed me one boost leak, but even when that was fixed, the boost level didn't change. I was getting the 30FF error code under full throttle and the wastegates really started rattling, sounded like diesel clatter.

Robert at Vishnu spent some time on the phone diagnosing the issue and said I should check all the vacuum lines, especially the ones right by the oil filter (red arrow in pic below). He also mentioned that right after shutting the car off, immediately disconnect the vacuum connector (blue arrow in pick below) and I should hear a whoosh of air being sucked in due to the vacuum. They had this same issue with a beta tester's car.

One of my vacuum lines had split right behind the oil filter, found the leak by disconnecting the vacuum connector and blowing air into it with my mouth. While that may sound weird, it was very easy to find the leak. Replaced both of the original vacuum lines with the 5/32 line from Pep Boys and all was fixed. There was vacuum when I shut the car off and boost is now back to normal.

My car is an 07 with 54k miles, as more of these cars get older and the heat from the oil filter takes it toll on the rubber lines, I'd guess more people will have this issue.

I had an appt scheduled with the dealer the next day to diagnose this, not sure what they would have charged, but I'd guess $100-$200 and the line cost $5 at Pep Boys. Great service from Vishnu giving me tips on fixing a hardware issue, Procede had nothing to do with this.

Edit: Probably best to cut the old vacuum lines off as they may be brittle and stuck to the plastic connectors. I used a utility knife to slice the ends of the old vacuum lines open (parallel to the line), then they're easy to peel off the plastic connectors. Also note that you could have a vacuum leak somewhere else besides this spot, this just appears to be a common spot.
Awesome post. I used it to fix the exact same problem in less than half hour. One of the vacuum lines behind the oil filter housing was split. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 04:16 AM   #182
Rico335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

I am so glad with this topic ;-)

I had no boost anymore, and the joy for driving was gone, so did not use my E93 335i MHD stage 2+ anymore.

No faults found while reading out , even while driving, just the inlet pressure stationary was about 650mbar, and while driving it was 0mbar.

The vacuumline to the front wastegate was losen by wear ..
Replaced it with a new piece vacuum line, and the car is driving great again..

Thanks for this thread and helpful photo's

Greetings
Appreciate 0