E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone Compatibility User Report

07-01-2007, 01:09 AM   #45
LandShark
Got ///M??
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3, 08' 335xi, 06' LR3

tks for the review/report!!!

my GF got one last night. she didn't arrive at my local apple store till 5:50pm, and still have no problem to get one and those 100 ppl behind her too!!

now, I could only wish my car will be here sooner so I can grab an iPhone myself to try it too!!

I currently using a blackjack & a ipod mini. so, I sure would like to replace both for one!!

p.s. off topic: yes, w/out 3G is a little drawback. however, I honestly not too care 'bout it!! EDGE isn't that bad, and 3G sux battery in no time!! (my blackjack w/ 3G mode will only last less than a day w/out much usage!! and I had since turned off the 3G and just use EDGE about two week after I got the phone!!) one of the reason apple didn't included 3G support on the current iPhone is they had yet to find a 3G chipset that doesn't sux up batter life or have it last as long as they would wanted to!!

BMWCCA New Jersey Chapter Instructor || Member since 1996
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #46
s420merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 300c SRT8 , ML350

My friend got one lol paid $999 on ebay plus overnight shipping. ITs a piece of crap. He is pissed he got it already the service aint cheap its $100 a month plus the FCC taxes and stuff. The internet is very very slow. The actually keyboard is nice i think but not good if u type while driving.
What moron decided to put in a glass face yes it does scratch less but the first time u drop it i would think say bye bye to ur phone. OK biggest retard play of the year is NO REMOVABLE battery . Second bad thing for me it only uses Special SIM chip i have an AT&T phone and was not able to slot in my chip.
Since i need a phone that will take overseas SIM cards its not for me sorry. I am not paying Roaming Charges to AT&T from Moscow.
Will wait for vs 2.01 or Motorola or Nokia to make a clone that works better.
Also WILL it only work with IDRIVE if my car has the IPOD kit but no Idrive can i still use the IPHONE to listen to music through my car stereo.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #47
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Glad the compatibility is there, I use my phone to talk... That's what it's there for so while I think the Iphone is a cool toy. I could give a shit about everything but sound quality, so most of it's good stuff is lost on me.

Waiting in line for a new phone, video game, etc... Just seems completely retarded to me, though I suppose it's just like waiting for your new BMW to arrive and that doesn't seem retarded...

I am still waiting for the BMW-Apple Merger or partnership. They have a lot of common traits.
      07-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #48
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by s420merc View Post
My friend got one lol paid $999 on ebay plus overnight shipping. ITs a piece of crap. He is pissed he got it already the service aint cheap its $100 a month plus the FCC taxes and stuff. The internet is very very slow. The actually keyboard is nice i think but not good if u type while driving.
What moron decided to put in a glass face yes it does scratch less but the first time u drop it i would think say bye bye to ur phone. OK biggest retard play of the year is NO REMOVABLE battery . Second bad thing for me it only uses Special SIM chip i have an AT&T phone and was not able to slot in my chip.
Since i need a phone that will take overseas SIM cards its not for me sorry. I am not paying Roaming Charges to AT&T from Moscow.
Will wait for vs 2.01 or Motorola or Nokia to make a clone that works better.
Also WILL it only work with IDRIVE if my car has the IPOD kit but no Idrive can i still use the IPHONE to listen to music through my car stereo.
1. You're friend probably just feels like a dumbass for paying a G when they are still in stock at stores.

2. Service plans start at $60, not $100.

3. The internet is slow, that is true. Works for me though I mostly want to check my email.

4. I think the removable battery issue is blown out of proportion. I'm always near a computer or wall-jack to charge if I need to.

5. What should they use instead of glass? Watch this video: http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-...d,0/video.html

6. It uses a special sim card because the phone is locked to at&t, so if you need a phone that works overseas with other carriers this is probably not for you.

7. You should be able to listen to your music through the iPhone in the same manner you used your iPod.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #49
s420merc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
. I think the removable battery issue is blown out of proportion. I'm always near a computer or wall-jack to charge if I need to.

7. You should be able to listen to your music through the iPhone in the same manner you used your iPod.
IT is not blown out of reality battery life degrades each time you charge and discharge your phone i would need at least the $100 plan i use it for work and buisness. My K1 Motorola i had to change battery after 8 months of use so i just went to store bought a new one and no problems. I use my phone alot so battery life is shortened. with the IPHONE u cant just buy a battery at the corner Phone store. AND they will prob charge a ton for a replacement batt.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #50
billspreston
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
IT is not blown out of reality battery life degrades each time you charge and discharge your phone i would need at least the $100 plan i use it for work and buisness. My K1 Motorola i had to change battery after 8 months of use so i just went to store bought a new one and no problems. I use my phone alot so battery life is shortened. with the IPHONE u cant just buy a battery at the corner Phone store. AND they will prob charge a ton for a replacement batt.
I see, I did not look at it in that light. No doubt batteries in these crazy electronics fade after time. I had similar problems with my iPod and my experience wasn't too bad. Apple will replace an iPhone battery for free within 1 year if there are problems and after that you can bring it into an Apple store or Authorized Repair center and get a replacement for a fee. I had to get an iPod battery replaced a few years back and it cost me something like $70. Its a PITA, but can be done. Bummer about needing the $100 plan. If you are a current at&t/cingular customer you can add the iPhone data plan to your current plan for $20. That's what I did - I also use my phone for work. Not sure if that helps you, but I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #51
s420merc
Private First Class
Rep

Yah i am just wondering what the fee is if ipod battery is $70 dollars the IPHONE one will prob be like $145-180
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #52
billspreston
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yah i am just wondering what the fee is if ipod battery is $70 dollars the IPHONE one will prob be like $145-180
Found the info, it costs $85.95: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #53
X E I O
No more Japanese cars.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 2008 550i

IPhone rocks

550i
      07-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #54
horatiub
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz5219 View Post
The only reason I'm not buying one yet is the lack of insurance available for the phone. If I accidentally drop it or get it wet, I'm SOL. I dropped my Treo 650 in a glass of water ( I know, bonehead move but these things happen) but it was insured, and I got a new replacement within days. If I didn't have insurance, I would have to pay $500 for a new one. So in the same way, a $600 phone with no insurance is just not a smart move.
insure the iPhone through State Farm, they have an article policy where you can insure it. I think it's like $20 for the whole year
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #55
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
insure the iPhone through State Farm, they have an article policy where you can insure it. I think it's like $20 for the whole year
HOI or Auto?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #56
horatiub
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
HOI or Auto?
it's actually a separate insurance, not part of Home Owners or Auto. It's called PAP, Personal Article Policy. I insured my laptop and my Treo, a combined value of $2000, for around $50/year.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #57
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
6. It uses a special sim card because the phone is locked to at&t, so if you need a phone that works overseas with other carriers this is probably not for you.
It's a bit more complicated than that. Any phone you buy from a major carrier will typically be locked, but you can get it unlocked, throw in another SIM and you're good to go.

In the case of the iPhone there are actually services that depend on AT&T's infrastructure (visual voicemail I believe is one of them), so even if you could unlock the iPhone you would lose a lot of functionality with a different carrier's SIM. It's the first phone I know of to be so tightly bound to the carrier, which I guess explains why it's taking longer for us to get it in Canada (Rogers will be offering it exclusively up here).

I just saw my first iPhone today. I was a skeptic, but it's a beautifully designed device.
      07-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #58
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
ITs a piece of crap. He is pissed he got it already the service aint cheap its $100 a month plus the FCC taxes and stuff. The internet is very very slow. The actually keyboard is nice i think but not good if u type while driving.
What moron ... <snip!!>
Moron?? Read your own post.. doesn't exactly look like a wordsmith composed it.

And put that damn thing down while driving, nobody should be typing on anything while driving. Sheesh!
      07-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #59
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

Well as it is an apple product and carries its 1 year full warranty, if your battery depletes to less then 80% of a 100% charge your battery is replaced free of charge.

The new battery carries a 1 year warranty as well.

A regular iPod battery is $25 on the internet, and a trained monkey can open up an iPhone as replace the battery... I've already seen it done.

I will make one last suggestion for those haters and lovers... this thread is for the iPhone compatibility. That was my intention, no need to hijack it and turn it into a pissing contest between all you people that are secretly jealous that you don't have one, and all of you that hate them because you too are secretly jealous that it's an awesome phone.

If you don't have something to say about how it works with your BMW or questions regarding its compatibility, go do a pissing contest in an off-bmw topic thread.

Some people have some legitimate questions that are mushed between the bullshit here, so let's be kind to those that have real compatibility questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #60
nimamilani
ni2009
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Well as it is an apple product and carries its 1 year full warranty, if your battery depletes to less then 80% of a 100% charge your battery is replaced free of charge.

A regular iPod battery is $25 on the internet, and a trained monkey can open up an iPhone as replace the battery... I've already seen it done.

I will make one last suggestion for those haters and lovers... this thread is for the iPhone compatibility. That was my intention, no need to hijack it and turn it into a pissing contest between all you people that are secretly jealous that you don't have one, and all of you that hate them because you too are secretly jealous that it's an awesome phone.

If you don't have something to say about how it works with your BMW or questions regarding its compatibility, go do a pissing contest in an off-bmw topic thread.

Some people have some legitimate questions that are mushed between the bullshit here, so let's be kind to those that have real compatibility questions.

some peopl.e have some legitimate questions and some people need to chill or take some anger management classes.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #61
horatiub
Banned
Rep

Quote:

very well said, and once again: thank you for the report and pictures.

Now let's hear more about compatibility or known issue. One issue that it was reported is that the 6FL cable doesn't charge the iPhone
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #62
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiub View Post
very well said, and once again: thank you for the report and pictures.

Now let's hear more about compatibility or known issue. One issue that it was reported is that the 6FL cable doesn't charge the iPhone

Let me just report my understanding of "this device is not compatible" when plugging in the 6FL.

From my understanding, although it works, it is not technically supported for 6FL. The reason why is due to the possible interference with the GSM network (that ticking that you sometimes hear when your phone is near speakers).

I think that's why there is the warning, although it works flawlessly as I noted above.

As for charging, I didn't notice. I'll take a look
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:00 AM   #63
horatiub
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Let me just report my understanding of "this device is not compatible" when plugging in the 6FL.

From my understanding, although it works, it is not technically supported for 6FL. The reason why is due to the possible interference with the GSM network (that ticking that you sometimes hear when your phone is near speakers).

I think that's why there is the warning, although it works flawlessly as I noted above.

As for charging, I didn't notice. I'll take a look
lots of people have reported no problems whatsoever when they used the 6FL, so it should be fine. About the charging part, I heard that from several people. Let us know what you found out
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #64
Xanith
Rep
Drives: 335

I am interested in purchasing an iPhone as well but may not if the 6FL cable does not charge the phone..

Any confirmed reports either way?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #65
myfirstbmw335i
myfirstbmw335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6-Speed, NAV, Sport

i understand you point....however

Quote:
My ipod is now a 1 1/2 years old and I have not experience any noticable battery life loss to date.
I had to replace my blackberry battery after 1 year. It would not last 30 minutes after a year.
I'm not really worried about it....

I bought the iphone, no waiting on Sunday at an Apple store...you can visit and apple retail store's website and they are posting availability each night at 9pm.
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

my new e-mail address: 335iphone@gmail.com

got lucky....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #66
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I will ad that my iPhone works flawlessly with the my 2006 330i's built-in Bluetooth integration. My car is a non-iDrive car, but all the address info, recent calls, etc. show up on the two line head unit. The iPhone has been very stable and sound quality is good. This is a far cry from that POS Treo 650 I was using. The Treo would not export any address book or contact info and would reboot about 10% of the time when taking a call. I'm a happy camper so far.

I have the dealer installed BMW iPod kit (the glove box one) and the iPhone works flawlessly with it as well. It works just like connecting any other iPod, songs come up on the head unit, the iPod charges. The only difference is the BMW logo does not appear on the iPod screen and you get the default warning about possibly wanting to engage Airplane mode on the iPhone screen. I don't plan on actually using the iPhone as a serious music player in the car as I've got a 60GB iPod more or less dedicated to music in the car, but it does work.

I also have a Belkin Auto Kit that I leave in the arm rest. This was my iPod connection kit before I got the BMW one installed. The iPhone works well with this adapter. The iPhone charges and music plays through the aux input. You get the same Airplane Mode warning as when you connect to the BMW kit which you can dismiss and everything works fine.

The airplane mode warning comes up whenever you connect an audio device which doesn't advertise itself as being iPhone compatible. This is to encourage the user to enter airplane mode on older speaker docks and prevent clicking in the speakers due to interference. This should not be a problem in a car else the presence of any cellphone in your car would cause clicking on the speakers.

- Collin
Appreciate 0