E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Reset Pad Life - Front and Rear Brakes Show Need to be Replaced

12-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold - e90 335

Garage List
Reset Pad Life - Front and Rear Brakes Show Need to be Replaced

I am so ticked. I didnt want to deal with a brake fluid flush so i took it to an indy to have it done. They brought the car up front and they saw that it needed to be reset. So they did.

Well I dont know what the heck happened but now my brake fluid indicator is off but my front AND rear brakes are showing that they need new pads with the service indicator (car on lift).

History: My front pads are perfectly fine and have a lot of life on them. They were changed by the dealer before warranty expired about a year and a half ago. My rears were bad so i changed them BEFORE the wear sensor had tripped. The car never told me i needed new pads. I did NOT change the wear sensor when i did the rears.

Now back to where we are now. They want me to change the wear sensor out on the rears and then try to reset it again. The car is claiming the rear pads are like 255% life or something.

Is it possible that the rears are saying this when they reset them if i didnt change the sensor AND the sensor never fully tripped stating that they needed to be replaced... keep in mind they may have some wear on the sensor just not to the point of the car telling me that i need to change them. Now with all of that, why would the car tell me I need to change the fronts too?

Can anyone explain this or what I should do? I am being told to change the rear sensor and if that doesnt fix it to change the front sensor too... such BS! and the indy doesnt want to own up to doing it since it was perfectly freaking fine before they touched it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
here you go

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
here you go

I did this too. When I do I get ------- for front and rear when I reset them. Any ideas as to why.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewrican View Post
I did this too. When I do I get ------- for front and rear when I reset them. Any ideas as to why.
could be a few reasons,

1. low pad life

2. faulty sensor

3. try it again and drive around. hopefully it will reset.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
I think this is a known issue. Try searching around for it, but you will probably have to bring the car in to get it reset if doing it through the stalk doesn't work for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I dont have clarification yet... but i believe that since the rears had worn a little bit though the sensor (it is a sensor that varies voltage as it wears) it will not reset. It is showing 255% life because i believe it is a binary number (all 1's = 255). Since the front pads are a little older but not dead.. it is also wearing. So because this clown tried to reset my fronts as well, it is now doing the same up there.

I will replace the rear sensor since i never did and will just change my front pads early and reset that sensor as well. Ticks me off though! I will take responsibility for the rears.. but the fronts.. this is the shops fault.. they never should have touched the front indicator.. i think they did it when they reset the rears and it was yelling i needed new brakes.. so they said.. hmm ill reset the fronts too then..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
It's highly recommended that you change the sensors EVERYTIME you change your pads, which COULD explain the rear. As for the front, have no idea.
      12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

It's not the sensors. I would have this issue randomly about once a year (once it occurred soon after a brake pad change, which i attribute to coincidence). The only way to fix it (without doing crazy stuff like shorting out the sensor as some say will work) is to use a BT tool to reset the interval (only worked on some versions of BT software, I think I posted which over on BB) or take it to the dealer to have them reset (at a cost of like 75, but don't let them tell you it needs new sensors because that's bullshit).

Hopefully you have a BT tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA View Post
It's not the sensors. I would have this issue randomly about once a year (once it occurred soon after a brake pad change, which i attribute to coincidence). The only way to fix it (without doing crazy stuff like shorting out the sensor as some say will work) is to use a BT tool to reset the interval (only worked on some versions of BT software, I think I posted which over on BB) or take it to the dealer to have them reset (at a cost of like 75, but don't let them tell you it needs new sensors because that's bullshit).

Hopefully you have a BT tool.
hmmm. id love to hear more info on this.

I only have the coding cable and all of the software the software package to pull codes and code the car etc.

The indy tried to reset it with three software packages though... i am going to see if i can try it with the cable and mine tonight.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. i just finished buying new pads and rotors.. ill be happy and pissed if you are right hahhaha
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewrican View Post
hmmm. id love to hear more info on this.

I only have the coding cable and all of the software the software package to pull codes and code the car etc.

The indy tried to reset it with three software packages though... i am going to see if i can try it with the cable and mine tonight.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. i just finished buying new pads and rotors.. ill be happy and pissed if you are right hahhaha
Not sure what more I can add. When you look at the service interval i would get either dashes (------) and not a number or something totally stupid like a huge negative number. It was frustrating and apparently not that uncommon, the dealers should reset it for free as it's a problem.

I know nothing about the coding but I'm sure one of the experienced guys can help you find the right place using INPA (or IPNA).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If the sensor has ANY wear on it, the CBS will not reset. You need a brand new sensor or splice the wires together to complete the circuit and fool the car into thinking there is a new sensor. Obviously the second method will render the sensor useless and you will have to manually check the pad thickness from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
335aw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
threw new pads on the front (with a new sensor of course) and a new sensor on the rears and we are back in business now.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

The sensor is like a beer can it goes off when it gets crushed. Therefore it cannot be reused nor can it tell you exactly how much pad life is left. Not sure where your seeing percentages and all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
uniD
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

F10 brake pad sensors

Hi everyone,

I bought a bmw from the main dealers back in December and the rear pads are almost gone.
Was trying to change them but as I took down the wheels I was in for a lovely surprise. I done have brake pad sensors on the rear and front also.
Shouldn't all bmw be fitted with sensors or someone screwed over the car?
Just posted a picture with both calipers front and back.
Any information is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #15
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniD View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought a bmw from the main dealers back in December and the rear pads are almost gone.
Was trying to change them but as I took down the wheels I was in for a lovely surprise. I done have brake pad sensors on the rear and front also.
There will be one sensor for the front and one on the back. I can't remember which side of the car .
Honestly it's better without them. I spliced mine and wired together and tucked them away in the wheel well. Those sensors are ridiculous. I've seen them trip when pads are still at 40%. A true car guy will visually check their pads.
Check to see if the wire has be tied together and tucked away. Sensors are NOT on all 4 corners.
      07-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #16
uniD
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

There will be one sensor for the front and one on the back. I can't remember which side of the car .
Honestly it's better without them. I spliced mine and wired together and tucked them away in the wheel well. Those sensors are ridiculous. I've seen them trip when pads are still at 40%. A true car guy will visually check their pads.
Check to see if the wire has be tied together and tucked away. Sensors are NOT on all 4 corners.
I think I'm mechanically aware, I ordered the brake pads more than a month ago and I keep an eye on all safety features.
Those sensors are a safety feature and if I were you, I wouldn't mess around with them. Genuine and quality parts along with a someone who know how to actually do a proper job should cause any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I think I'm mechanically aware, I ordered the brake pads more than a month ago and I keep an eye on all safety features.
Those sensors are a safety feature and if I were you, I wouldn't mess around with them. Genuine and quality parts along with a someone who know how to actually do a proper job should cause any issues.
I have been working on bmws for a long time and i worked for bmw for years. Trust me those sensors are not a "safety"feature if you are aware of your on car. Telling me my pads are at 40% is in no way a safety feature. It's so suckers take there cars to the dealers to have the brakes done when there is tons of life left. You are better off to go by Visual and feel.
You're obviously new the forum and will notice quick how many people tie off those sensors. They are more of a headache then they are worth. They are just a little metal wire, when it wears away, the light comes on. To each their own if you want to continue down that path. Bmw pads are messy as hell and ruin wheels too. My fav brake combo is Zimmerman rotors with hawk 5.0 pads. Good luck.
      07-05-2021, 07:43 AM   #18
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I had this issue the other day and it turned out the brake sensor wiring had rubbed on something and exposed it causing excess resistance. Replaced the sensor, reset the interval and it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #19
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The brake sensors are on the driver front and passenger rear.

They have been cut on my car for about 8 years now. I don't want to deal with premature pad warnings and squealing noises.

I haven't felt unsafe. Brakes get a visual inspection twice a year, beginning of summer and beginning of winter when I swap my wheels.

If having a sensor will make you feel safe, then pop one in and be done with it.
Appreciate 0