E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > e92 Sound System

02-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
Cdothaze
Rep
Drives: AW 2007 328xi Coupe

e92 Sound System

I have a 07 328xi, I have a nav which means I have idrive. I do not have logic 7, does that mean I have a hifi system or...? From what I see is 6 speakers, 2 under the seat, two 4" speakers in the front and rear. I plan on upgrading all the speakers, even the ones under the seat. Besides the amps and speakers, what else do I need to buy or do. I have read most of the other topics , but almost all the upgrades are being done on a 335 which comes with logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
Doru in Romania
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 525d xDrive

same situation and problem here. need to know if there is an amp and if yes where is located. the problem is replacing the amp not the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

and you will find this post which will give you all the information you need on upgrading the standard audio system (non-hifi) which is what you have in your car. Although the OP of that thread was asking for an E91 Touring, the system/setup is the same for the E90/E92.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by R36099 View Post
I have a 07 328xi, I have a nav which means I have idrive. I do not have logic 7, does that mean I have a hifi system or...? From what I see is 6 speakers, 2 under the seat, two 4" speakers in the front and rear. I plan on upgrading all the speakers, even the ones under the seat. Besides the amps and speakers, what else do I need to buy or do. I have read most of the other topics , but almost all the upgrades are being done on a 335 which comes with logic 7.
There's an OEM amp on the left side of the trunk, under a cover. I would recommend a Zapco DSP 5-channel amp for ease of installation and features as your main amp. It is relatively expensive but you will have a top notch DSP processor/powerful amp in one unit, capable of driving all your 10 aftermarket speakers (including the two underseat subs) while capable of adjusting the sound front to back, side to side, to your liking.

Otherwise, you can get just a 5-channel amp (or a pair of amps) with aftermarket component speakers and be done with it. However, you will not be able to properly adjust the sound to your liking without a dedicated processor; you will be limited to just bass and treble adjustments like you are now with the OEM system. IMO, this is important if you are replacing all the speakers, especially the underseat subs, to properly balance the system.

If a processor is not that important for you, then an amp(s) and speaker upgrade will do. Just make sure that the amp(s) selected have internal crossovers (low/high), some Bass EQ and that it can accept balanced inputs. That way the installation will be straight forward, less modules to install and some degree of adjustment could be performed on both the component speakers and the subs.

Last edited by Technic; 02-22-2008 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
and you will find this post which will give you all the information you need on upgrading the standard audio system (non-hifi) which is what you have in your car. Although the OP of that thread was asking for an E91 Touring, the system/setup is the same for the E90/E92.
Note: this only applies to the Euro non-HiFi system (no OEM amp), not to the OP question in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
Cdothaze
Rep

Question Here is what my setup will include

My ultimate goal is to mimic Here. This is what I bought, just needs to be installed:

2x P1000-1bd Mono Amp <---Each amp will power 1 Type r sub below.

2x Alpine Type R Subs<--- For the trunk, each sub on its own amp.

2x P400-4 4-Channel Amp <---I have two amps to power each set of components below.

4x REF4022I 2 way Components <--- One pair for the fronts and one pair for the rear

1x P300-1 Mono Amp<--- These will power both Earthquake SWS-8 below

2x Earthquake SWS-8<--- These will go under the seats

1x Audiocontrol LC6i - Will drive the 5 amps

I know the setup here is on a 335, which I think has logic 7.Now I've been reading this forum for the past 3 or 4 months lol before I decided to do anything, but I'm still a bit confused, so below I have a couple of questions,

q1. Do I have a factory amp in my car? (From what i understand, US 3 series do and EU 3 series don't) And if so, can I just take it out/replace it? Or does it need to be bypassed?

q2. Would I need a extra battery? A Capacitor? or both?

q3. And besides all the wiring, what else do I need to buy to complete this mod?

Last edited by Cdothaze; 02-26-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My ultimate goal is to mimic Here. This is what I bought, just needs to be installed:

2x P1000-1bd Mono Amp <---Each amp will power 1 Type r sub below.

2x Alpine Type R Subs<--- For the trunk, each sub on its own amp.

2x P400-4 4-Channel Amp <---I have two amps to power each set of components below.

4x REF4022I 2 way Components <--- One pair for the fronts and one pair for the rear

1x P300-1 Mono Amp<--- These will power both Earthquake SWS-8 below

2x Earthquake SWS-8<--- These will go under the seats

I know the setup here is on a 335, which I think has logic 7.Now I've been reading this forum for the past 3 or 4 months lol before I decided to do anything, but I'm still a bit confused, so below I have a couple of questions,

q1. Do I have a factory amp in my car? (From what i understand, US 3 series do and EU 3 series don't) And if so, can I just take it out/replace it? Or does it need to be bypassed?

q2. Would I need a extra battery? A Capacitor? or both?

q3. And besides all the wiring, what else do I need to buy to complete this mod?
1) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...99&postcount=4

2) You will have 5 amps, so probably you could have to replace your current OEM battery with a high current Deep Cycle.

3) You could need either an Audiocontrol LC6i or Matrix Line driver to nicely drive these 5 amps, plus RCA "Y" connectors (how many, you decide).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
what were you thinking!!??? didn't you compare the difference in sound (regular vs logic7) at the dealer before buying??? oh man i feel sorry for you. upgrading speakers is a bitch, from what i've heard.
      02-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Cdothaze
Rep

Well i knew i would wanna upgrade the sound even if I got the logic 7, so it really didn't make a difference. From what I read, it looks like it more work to add aftermarket equipment when you have a logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Cdothaze
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
1) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...99&postcount=4

2) You will have 5 amps, so probably you could have to replace your current OEM battery with a high current Deep Cycle.

3) You could need either an Audiocontrol LC6i or Matrix Line driver to nicely drive these 5 amps, plus RCA "Y" connectors (how many, you decide).

When replacing the battery, is there anything specific I need to know. Like which battery to get? I was looking at the one here, It looks to be the one used in this setup . Will this battery do?

Also I read a few of your post about the Audio Control lc6i and I was thinking about buying that over the matrix, do you have a preference or would one be better than the other?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
When replacing the battery, is there anything specific I need to know. Like which battery to get? I was looking at the one here, It looks to be the one used in this setup . Will this battery do?

Also I read a few of your post about the Audio Control lc6i and I was thinking about buying that over the matrix, do you have a preference or would one be better than the other?
- According to this... http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=61&fg=30... your battery is rated between 70 and 90AH (amperes/hour) and between 570 and 720 cold cranking amps (check your battery for its specific rating).

You should get a deep cycle battery that can match or exceed those ratings. Because you will have 5 amps -according to your plans- I think that you will definitely need a high power/reserve deep cycle like the Optima Yellow Top D34.

- The Matrix and the LC6i accomplishes the same purpose in the BMW sound system (line driver), the main difference is that the Matrix inputs are RCA and the LC6i inputs are speaker wire. Because the OEM HU/Tuner outputs of the non-Logic7 are differential, there's no need to "line output convert" them if using any AudioControl device.

So for ease of installation you can use a LC6i.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
Cdothaze
Rep

By the way Technic, thanks for answering all my questions, I really appreciate your advice. If im replacing my current battery, wouldn't I have to measure it to make sure the Optima Yellow Top D34 will fit in the current space? Or do you know for sure it would fit?

Also, in the setup, I think he just added a second battery. Wouldn't that be easier/more efficient then replacing the whole battery? Or do you still recommend replacing the oem with the D34? And if I do get another battery , then there wouldn't be any need for a Capacitor right?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
By the way Technic, thanks for answering all my questions, I really appreciate your advice. If im replacing my current battery, wouldn't I have to measure it to make sure the Optima Yellow Top D34 will fit in the current space? Or do you know for sure it would fit?

Also, in the setup, I think he just added a second battery. Wouldn't that be easier/more efficient then replacing the whole battery? Or do you still recommend replacing the oem with the D34? And if I do get another battery , then there wouldn't be any need for a Capacitor right?
Yes, you will have to measure... that's the reason that I'm just suggesting something like the Yellow Top D34, as its ratings are very close or even exceed the OEM specs.

Because you are trying to emulate what that poster did, I would in fact recommend contacting him for details. Your setup is going to be very similar, and you need real world experience and tips by someone that actually did it.
Appreciate 0