E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Exhaust Mod Impressions

03-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Exhaust Mod Impressions

Hey guys,

So I did a bunch of reading on the exhaust mod - to make it sound somewhat like the PE - and finally decided to pull the trigger.

(See: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739970).

I had another member on here tell me that they had theirs done at Meineke, so I decided to give them a call this past Monday. I must say, screw those guys. The amount of unprofessionalism is astounding. They kept telling me to call back the next day, and each day, I did. Finally, Friday came around and they proceeded to run me through the muck. I figured that I was screwed, and that there would be no way for me to have it done this weekend (wanted it to be ready for car show next weekend).

Well, I figured that it couldn't hurt to give Bryce at ACI Dynamix a call - and it didn't! Bryce agreed to squeeze me into his already packed schedule - on one-day's notice! I truly cannot speak highly enough of Bryce; what an awesome guy!

So, I had it done and picked up the car today. Extremely pleased with the results. Here's a quick crappy video that my girlfriend took on her iPad right before we left the shop:

I'll get a better video for you guys once this rain clears up, and post a more in-depth review. The Mrs. is waiting for me to put on a movie

Here are two pictures that the shop took while working on the exhaust:

Last edited by Sidewinderpb; 03-31-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Sounds pretty nice, can't wait to hear it in action! How is the in cabin noise compared to before the mod?
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Thanks! Cabin noise isn't bad at all. There's some drone because I opted to leave the packing out, but I dig it! I'll be at DoD7 next Saturday if anyone wants to hear it in person
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Looking forward to more videos. How much did that mod run you?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Looking forward to more videos. How much did that mod run you?
Ran me $300. It could definitely be had for cheaper. I was willing to pay that price though, to have a highly experienced and professional shop like ACI do it. Bryce also squeezed me in with one days notice, and worked on it on a Sunday.

Even at that price, it's still exponentially cheaper than buying a catback - which is, in essence, just a sound mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
I know there are people dong different levels of the mod. Did you have pipe welded over the perforated section so it is a straight pipe now? Did you do it on both sides? How about the cross pipe? I am going to be doing the mod myself so I am trying to gauge the sound vs. mod level.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
I know there are people dong different levels of the mod. Did you have pipe welded over the perforated section so it is a straight pipe now? Did you do it on both sides? How about the cross pipe? I am going to be doing the mod myself so I am trying to gauge the sound vs. mod level.
I did have both sides done. I believe that on the perforated side, they split a pipe, so that one side was "hinged," wrapped it around the stock pipe, and welded it shut. So, that side is reversible - which I'm not sure whether or not that matters, since the canister on the other side was lobbed off.

I have an e92, so I've already got a crosspipe, which I've left as stock.

End result: both sides are straight pipes.

If you've been doing your homework, then I'm sure you've already gone through this. But, if not, then here's the link to the master thread - granted that it is an N54 thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739970

The shop told me that they have some pictures of the process. I'm going to email them now and see if they'll send them to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Good to know, thanks for the info! Instead of welding pipe over mine I think I am going to use header wrap and leave an inch on each end open so there is some perforation still. I travel in my car some, so I don't want the drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

I've heard of people wrapping it, and it turned out pretty well for them. My drone is likely due to my leaving out the outer packaging.
If you were to replace it, you probably wouldn't experience much drone. At least, that's what I've gathered from WhiteFury in the master thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #10
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335 msport

Seriously......45-50k car and you are doing a mod like this to it? And paid $300 for it? You can easily have bmw PE for around 1k if you shop it right now. Its cool that you Frankensteined that muffler and all, but damn man its not a civic! It sounds decent, but cutting and welding compromised the muffler (if you plan on keeping it on there for a while) can't be good for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #11
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92stance View Post
Seriously......45-50k car and you are doing a mod like this to it? And paid $300 for it? You can easily have bmw PE for around 1k if you shop it right now. Its cool that you Frankensteined that muffler and all, but damn man its not a civic! It sounds decent, but cutting and welding compromised the muffler (if you plan on keeping it on there for a while) can't be good for it.
Lol relax there champ. You are correct; it is a $50,000 car. I paid for this car, so I can whatever I want to it. Hell, I could even drive it off the pier.

Now, let me justify my decision. A catback simply changes the tone of the car - correct? So, why should I have to spend a ton of money on something that doesn't alter the performance of the car?

Let me ask you a question:
By how much has your $1200 exhaust changed your drag times? How many races has it helped you win?

So, I spent a measley $300 to achieve an almost identical tone to that of the $1200 PE. Is that foolish? If anything, you are a fool for thinking that something like this would damage my car.

We applaud you for your proud and noble display of ignorance. Way to go champ.

Edit: I kindly ask that you refrain from comparing any of my belongings to a Honda Civic. That is just uncalled for and immature.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Lol relax there champ. You are correct; it is a $50,000 car. I paid for this car, so I can whatever I want to it. Hell, I could even drive it off the pier.

Now, let me justify my decision. A catback simply changes the tone of the car - correct? So, why should I have to spend a ton of money on something that doesn't alter the performance of the car?

By how much has your $1200 exhaust changed your drag times? How many races has it helped you win?

So, I spent a measley $300 to achieve an almost identical tone to that of the $1200 PE. Is that foolish? If anything, you are a fool for thinking that something like this would damage my car.

Edit: I kindly ask that you refrain from comparing any of my belongings to a Honda Civic. That is just uncalled for and immature.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Wow man sounds great! Any chance you can take some more videos of it in action? I might have them do mine next
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Wow man sounds great! Any chance you can take some more videos of it in action? I might have them do mine next
I was wondering when you were going to chime in. Knew it was only a matter of time haha. Bryce said you'd probably be next in line for this.

I'll post some more videos, once I can snag someone to help me out. You live so close though; why not just hear it in person?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92stance View Post
Spoken like a true fan boi! yaaay keep it up...lololololol
"Spend lots of money on overpriced shitty parts that do nothing for your car exept place a badge on it...!"
never go the smart more hardcore informed route...
"If I threw away money on my car I will hate on you for finding a better way to achieve the same thing...."

Back on topic, On my girlfriends E93 M3, I wrapped the perforated pipes with Exhaust/header wrap instead of replacign the pipes, It caused the same change exept it has a slightly higher pitch to it, which I love ! everyone thinks she has a sick expensive exhaust.... throw some nice tips on it and it looks and sounds amazing!
      04-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
Spoken like a true fan boi! yaaay keep it up...lololololol
"Spend lots of money on overpriced shitty parts that do nothing for your car exept place a badge on it...!"
never go the smart more hardcore informed route...
"If I threw away money on my car I will hate on you for finding a better way to achieve the same thing...."

Back on topic, On my girlfriends E93 M3, I wrapped the perforated pipes with Exhaust/header wrap instead of replacign the pipes, It caused the same change exept it has a slightly higher pitch to it, which I love ! everyone thinks she has a sick expensive exhaust.... throw some nice tips on it and it looks and sounds amazing!
Thank you. You'd think that someone with 700+ posts wouldn't have such a glaring lack of knowledge.

If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind this mod was actually derived from people doing that over on the M3 forums! Wait, let me back up a second...your girlfriend is driving an M3? I am so jealous hahah. That's pretty freaking awesome though! A few guys on here have also wrapped the pipes instead of removing them, and it worked out pretty darned well. You're right though - I entirely forgot to replace the tips. Will do soon!

+1 to you!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I was wondering when you were going to chime in. Knew it was only a matter of time haha. Bryce said you'd probably be next in line for this.

I'll post some more videos, once I can snag someone to help me out. You live so close though; why not just hear it in person?
That's true. Haha when would you want to meet up? I'll be going to ACI next wednesday to drop my car off for a few days I think if you'd want to meet up there?
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Sweet; what are you having done?

Weekends work best for me, as I work during the day and have class at night. Are you going to DoD7 or Staggered?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
! Wait, let me back up a second...your girlfriend is driving an M3? I am so jealous hahah.+1 to you!
Yeah, I got my E92 335i, then she got a vert 93M, so I had to upgrade to my E93 Vert M.
awesome cruising top down couples with same car showing up to meets and such haha. she's hot and pretty hard core, Ordered coilovers, I slammed them to the max, and she said, " I want it lower" haha

Last edited by GabeS; 04-03-2014 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
Yeah, I got my E92 335i, then she got a vert 93M, so I had to upgrade to my E93 Vert M.
awesome cruising top down couples with same car showing up to meets and such haha. she's hot and pretty hard core, Ordered coilovers, I slammed them to the max, and she said, " I want it lower" haha
I envy you hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Really? I get that you guys are all buddy buddy and shit here hence the gang up, but let me make a few things clear.

1.) I don't have the PE nor did I state that I did.
2.) A couple cuts and a weld here and there can not possibly justify a $300 bill, I don't care what muffler shop you go to. That's a rape in itself. I can weld/fabricate and cut, its a free mod if I want, but we are talking principal here.
3.) most BMW owners don't drag race their cars. Mostly because the handling geometry and engineering that goes into a BMW from the door has been trickled down from road racing experience, it is not a 1320 car. So to ask how many more races I've one because of that is plain stupid kid. Been there built those (note*** I don't road race either) spirited driving every now and then is what I am guilty of and that's literally what about 97% of all BMW owners do.
4.) Even if the PE bumps your HP a half a %, most would rather have a BMW engineered piece that sounds way way better than most ghetto fabbed stuff I've heard on our cars.

I wasn't trying to be offensive, clearly you can do whatever you want to you car, but whether you have a M3 a 335 or any other BMW, if you are hacking up your car to save money on mods....you most likely should not have purchased that BMW in the first place. This is my 7th bimmer ( 95 e36m, 01 e46m, 07 e92 335, 08 e90 328, 09 e90 335 msport, 2011 e92 335 msport, 10 x5) not that it matters.... but I get you kids, I get modding and all that shit. I was simply making an observation that a hundred other folks would likely make on here. Sorry to ruffle you up

**totally forgot to add some perks of spending that extra dollar: resale of authentic/high quality parts, never having to worry about screwing up my CPO warranty, and just piece of mind.

Last edited by e92stance; 04-03-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #22
e92stance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. You'd think that someone with 700+ posts wouldn't have such a glaring lack of knowledge.

If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind this mod was actually derived from people doing that over on the M3 forums! Wait, let me back up a second...your girlfriend is driving an M3? I am so jealous hahah. That's pretty freaking awesome though! A few guys on here have also wrapped the pipes instead of removing them, and it worked out pretty darned well. You're right though - I entirely forgot to replace the tips. Will do soon!

+1 to you!
So because its derived from folks doing it on the M3 forum its right and not ghetto? Sounds like M3 fanboy shit if you ask me???? lol that's simple thinking there....how bout its derived from people getting way in over their heads on a car they cannot afford and cutting corners? Most likely. How bout, like most people on here that lease, they don't care about the car and would hack it up bc its going back to the dealer anyway? Again most likely.

But as I stated before, seems like a CT gang-up so I'll take a walk.
Appreciate 0