E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > JB4 N55 Install

02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
markd325
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

JB4 N55 Installer help!

Hi guys,
Bought a JB4 for my 135i and had a go at installing it on my own tonight.
Found it really fiddly and failed badly!
Does anyone have any recommendations for an installer near Camberley or Slough areas?

Many thanks
Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
joeyt
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Im near stansted airport. Its about an hour from.you but im happy to install it for you mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
markd325
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyt
Im near stansted airport. Its about an hour from.you but im happy to install it for you mate.
Hi Joey
Thanks for the offer. I was hoping to find someone a bit more local to me if I'm honest. I may take you up if I can't though
Thanks
Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

What are you struggling with? All the instructions and videos are on the Burger site. It can be a bit fiddly but a little perseverance should see you on top of it.

WM
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
markd325
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
What are you struggling with? All the instructions and videos are on the Burger site. It can be a bit fiddly but a little perseverance should see you on top of it.

WM
I followed the instructions from the site, but there is no video for the N55 beyond taking off the cowel and HVAC.
The problems I came across were even before opening the DME!!
1. I removed the TMAP sensor and replaced with the JB4 plug, but the fit didnt seem to be very good at all. It didnt seem to click in to the housing very well (I made sure it was put in the same way as the original)
2. I wasnt 100% sure that the MAP sensor was the one I found (it was underneath the plastic cover towards the back of the engine). I also had problems removing the plug whilst trying to lift up the cover (I think I needed an extra pair of hands).
3. Lastly, the boost solenoid didnt seem to look anything like the one in the picture on the instructions.

At that stage, I got a bit worried as I hadnt even tackled the mass of wires in the DME so I decided I needed some help!

Have you fitted an N55 one at all? Any hints on these points please?
Thanks
Mark
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
markd325
Private
England
Rep

Update

Hi all

As an update, I think I have got the wrong harness type for my N55. I have the harness type B, when I need the harness type A. This explains the reason for the poor connection on the first sensor!

I have spoken to bmw-performance who have contacted BMS, who have stated that they do not sell the connectors separate (but seem to indicate that it is possible to change over). Does anyone know where to buy or have a spare Type A connector lying around that I could buy? A long shot I know....

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0