E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Warranty Options?

12-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
Warranty Options?

Saving up some money for a 335i coupe. probably between 07-09. Not getting a warranty isnt an option for me. Probably gonna get one with 60k-90k miles on it and between the turbos and the Water pump i'm not ready to shell out $$$$$ that i can avoid with a warranty. Was wondering if there are any 3rd party warranty companies you guys recommend and what their rates are and what they cover. And will doing my own maintenance like spark plugs and oil changes void that warranty? How about adding mods like LCI tails and DCT paddles? Can you guys give me some examples of stuff that WOULD void my warranty? i know performance mods are a big one but the closest thing ill be doing to that for a while is probably a DCI and an exhaust system change (Downpipes?). Just a young man covering his tracks and making sure he doesnt get duped and waste his money.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenjoku7 View Post
Saving up some money for a 335i coupe. probably between 07-09. Not getting a warranty isnt an option for me. Probably gonna get one with 60k-90k miles on it and between the turbos and the Water pump i'm not ready to shell out $$$$$ that i can avoid with a warranty. Was wondering if there are any 3rd party warranty companies you guys recommend and what their rates are and what they cover. And will doing my own maintenance like spark plugs and oil changes void that warranty? How about adding mods like LCI tails and DCT paddles? Can you guys give me some examples of stuff that WOULD void my warranty? i know performance mods are a big one but the closest thing ill be doing to that for a while is probably a DCI and an exhaust system change (Downpipes?). Just a young man covering his tracks and making sure he doesnt get duped and waste his money.
Several of my friends have bought cars from CarMax and bought the CarMax extended warranty. They rave about how great it is and the great coverage. So I suggest buying used from CarMax and getting their warranty.

Changing your own oil etc. shouldn't affect your warranty if you use reputable products. Keep receipts of what you bought, a log of when you perform routine maintenance, what you did etc. so you can prove that the work was done according to the factory maintenance scheduled.

Cosmetic mods shouldn't affect your warranty but performance mods may - check the warranty, as each one is different. Frankly, your best bet is to just get a tune (JB4 or Cobb) and skip DP, intake etc. You'll get more performance from the tune than intake, DP etc. and you can easily remove the tune when taking it in for warranty work.