E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant Exploded? Merry Christmas to me!

12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivancozbek View Post
Is this normal for E90s?
T-Stat and Water pumps are standard maintenance on any car. Most seem to go out around 70-120k.

With regards to the coiling fluid going everywhere, that's what happens when it over heats. Its not necessarily and explosion
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
kivancozbek
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
T-Stat and Water pumps are standard maintenance on any car. Most seem to go out around 70-120k.

With regards to the coiling fluid going everywhere, that's what happens when it over heats. Its not necessarily and explosion
Got it. I'm coming from an E46 and looking to get an an E90, just trying to find out a bit more about the vehicle. I kinda know what to expect in basic/preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbrinkman View Post
So that's about 75k miles. I'm at 70k now so I'm dreading the day this happens to me.
Why wait until the waterpump or t stat fails and risk damaging your engine? You got your money's worth out of your pump, replace it now along with the t stat and coolant and not have to dread about overheating suddenly with little to no warning.

Either way you have to buy a new pump and t stat and if you run to failure you might end up with a tow bill also. Some tow trucks have been known to damage your car body and front bumper when it is towed also. So for the price of labor minus a tow bill, you can drive your E90 without worrying about overheating.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
Why wait until the waterpump or t stat fails and risk damaging your engine? You got your money's worth out of your pump, replace it now along with the t stat and coolant and not have to dread about overheating suddenly with little to no warning.

Either way you have to buy a new pump and t stat and if you run to failure you might end up with a tow bill also. Some tow trucks have been known to damage your car body and front bumper when it is towed also. So for the price of labor minus a tow bill, you can drive your E90 without worrying about overheating.
+1

It took 1 hour to load the car onto the tow truck and 30 mins to unload it delicately. Huge PITA and a horribly complicated procedure (lowered car with M3 rep bumper and a front tow hook plate which has to be removed etc.)

Get it done at 80K Km.. unless you want to experience what I had to go through.
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #27
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Sucks...
      12-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #28
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
+1

It took 1 hour to load the car onto the tow truck and 30 mins to unload it delicately. Huge PITA and a horribly complicated procedure (lowered car with M3 rep bumper and a front tow hook plate which has to be removed etc.)

Get it done at 80K Km.. unless you want to experience what I had to go through.
Yeah and not to mention you have to watch over the tow truck drivers like hawks. Those guys could give a shit less about your body/paint
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I would just get the pump swapped like someone else suggested.. No one likes getting stranded in the middle of no where hopefully with battery still in your phone..
      12-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #30
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I always wonder if keeping the car turned on with the heater blowing and oil and water circulating is better than just shutting everything down
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #31
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
I did notice there is a little bit more fresh oil leaking out of the oil filter housing and my recently replaced VCG than normal.. but no white fumes..

However, the tech had a look over and said it was all good.

What could this fresh oil leak indicate?
The oil filter housing is also a common repair at this mileage (overheat or not). It is generally harmless, but the filter disintegrate and sends particles to the oil and water passages and may clog them overtime - I suspect this can wear the water pump, but nobody knows (and oil and water may mix, though not always). Similarly, oil on the serpentine belt is not a good idea, so no hurry, but don't let it rot.

What you may be concerned about is that the most common gasket to blow off when overheated is the valve cover gasket (bolts break in the head, the gasket is not compressed: leaks). The oil can often creep along edges and be mistaken for oil filter housing leak. It may take a couple of miles before the leaks become apparent, but it should be now, so I'd take a look with a flashlight after removing the tupperware plastic cover.

The head gasket can go too, and that is major repair to get it fixed (and is maybe an indication of much worse issues). But hopefully you escaped that one. Take a look too, but it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #32
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 white red sold bc uknow

wow. mine happened last week. Just got my car back.

THat is exactly what mine looked like after the yellow and red warnings. You got a good deal. Mine came to $1050. Luckily, my 3rd party warranty covered most of it except coolant, taxes, difference in labor/hour rate, so $80.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #33
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I always wonder if keeping the car turned on with the heater blowing and oil and water circulating is better than just shutting everything down
With our modern cars, I would suggest to turn them off. The fan may be turning, but is only cooling the coolant (which is not being circulated because of the broken water pump) If you heater were still working, then it wouldn't be bad to let it run idle for maximum 1 minute. The plastic cover over the engine avoids any air cooling anyways. With a running oil pump, the oil would still "transport" the heat away from the hottest part (the cylinder head), but as soon as you shut off, there should not be more heat produced.

When this happened to me, I contemplated whether or not to re-start my engine and run it for 20 seconds after 3-5 min of cooling. But I didn't. I wasn't sure if that would really make a difference. The heat created by the combustion of gasses would heat up your cylinder heads again, and the amount of cooler oil pump around the cylinders would be very little...
Appreciate 0