E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car cutting out

01-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
uksoundz
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Car cutting out

Hi,

I asked this in UK based forum and didn't get a response so thought I'd ask here.

Picked up a 320d SE 2007 (07) yesterday, anyway today it's started causing me problems, obviously I've phoned up the garage, they've given me a car whilst they get it in the garage on Monday. I'm just wanting to get an idea (hopefully) of what it *could be...

Started this morning, it was cold 1.5C and the car started fine, but after this for about 3 seconds it sounded like it was struggling, this was whilst I was idle on the drive. Then, I filled up with diesel (and I've checked it was DEFO diesel), and whilst waiting with the engine on after I'd filled up it just cut out, then I set off and the car just cut out whilst driving, the electrics (ie indicators) still worked, but all power was lost. I pulled up to the side, then started it up again, and drove to a car park, no warning lights throughout all this. Started the car again, accelerated fast in first and into second gear and it cut out again, displaying the triangle with an explanation mark and a round arrow warning light (something to do with DSC or DTC?) Left it 5 minutes, then drove the 20 miles to the garage, and it seemed fine again? Also worth pointing out my wife said it smelt of a kind of burning, maybe oil burning smell when she got in the car on the way to the garage.

Now it might have done this yesterday once whilst driving or I might have selected the wrong gear, I thought nothing of it yesterday just dismissing a wrong gear, but on whats happened today I'm not sure!

Gutting that it's happened so quick, but better now whilst under some kind of dealer warranty I guess, worth noting I believe a new turbo was fitted at 86k, the car is now on 90k.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uksoundz
Hi,

I asked this in UK based forum and didn't get a response so thought I'd ask here.

Picked up a 320d SE 2007 (07) yesterday, anyway today it's started causing me problems, obviously I've phoned up the garage, they've given me a car whilst they get it in the garage on Monday. I'm just wanting to get an idea (hopefully) of what it *could be...

Started this morning, it was cold 1.5C and the car started fine, but after this for about 3 seconds it sounded like it was struggling, this was whilst I was idle on the drive. Then, I filled up with diesel (and I've checked it was DEFO diesel), and whilst waiting with the engine on after I'd filled up it just cut out, then I set off and the car just cut out whilst driving, the electrics (ie indicators) still worked, but all power was lost. I pulled up to the side, then started it up again, and drove to a car park, no warning lights throughout all this. Started the car again, accelerated fast in first and into second gear and it cut out again, displaying the triangle with an explanation mark and a round arrow warning light (something to do with DSC or DTC?) Left it 5 minutes, then drove the 20 miles to the garage, and it seemed fine again? Also worth pointing out my wife said it smelt of a kind of burning, maybe oil burning smell when she got in the car on the way to the garage.

Now it might have done this yesterday once whilst driving or I might have selected the wrong gear, I thought nothing of it yesterday just dismissing a wrong gear, but on whats happened today I'm not sure!

Gutting that it's happened so quick, but better now whilst under some kind of dealer warranty I guess, worth noting I believe a new turbo was fitted at 86k, the car is now on 90k.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Please don't take my advice 100% but this is my experience

I had sputters one morning pulling into school. Later on while leaving, I left my car on while leaving to tell my friend something. I came back as the car was off with ignition on. I turned it back on and it stalled 2 minutes later. After the restart, a service engine soon icon came on. Eventually I drove it home safely and investigated the cause. I had a 2a17 code which is a failing dtml pump. My "fix" was just remove the gas cap and relieve the negative pressure that was supposedly built up. After this I haven't had any stalling problems for 3 days now. Service engine light still on so I will need to replace it. I also smelled gas one day maybe a month before this all happened. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
uksoundz
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Thanks,

I've been told its a faulty crank shaft sensor, could this be why I smell burning a bit?
Appreciate 0