E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Damn it hurts!!

08-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Damn it hurts!!

Got my first chip near the hood roundel about a pen tip size but bigger....I fixed the chip with the color match from BMW...On Montego blue its hard to match exactly but it came out alright...Paints is colored but from a certain light you can see a ding mark on it...I guess i sanded the clear coat on that spot a little toooo much...Is there anything if anyone know that i can do to even out the clear coat...Most people would leave it and i think i might, but if there is a solution instead of painting the whole hood ( which i won't) that i can do please give me some info...I guess i am a perfectionist when it comes to my baby...but its the first blemish and it hurts so bad....I must of gone out to see the work that i did about 15 times or so...Its acceptable but i am a little anul!!! First ding or chip is the worst!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
aquaanox
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Got my first chip near the hood roundel about a pen tip size but bigger....I fixed the chip with the color match from BMW...On Montego blue its hard to match exactly but it came out alright...Paints is colored but from a certain light you can see a ding mark on it...I guess i sanded the clear coat on that spot a little toooo much...Is there anything if anyone know that i can do to even out the clear coat...Most people would leave it and i think i might, but if there is a solution instead of painting the whole hood ( which i won't) that i can do please give me some info...I guess i am a perfectionist when it comes to my baby...but its the first blemish and it hurts so bad....I must of gone out to see the work that i did about 15 times or so...Its acceptable but i am a little anul!!! First ding or chip is the worst!!!
yeah i have a lil chip next to the roundel as well... just leave it be.. eventually, it all becomes part of the inner beauty of the car... : )
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
NAandTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, E90 335i

wow, the first thing that came on my mind when I read this thread.. DAMN.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Sorry to hear. If that type of imperfection bothers you, I highly suggest you purchase/install a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

well i am trying to get the little ding out due to my mistake of sanding one little area where the chip...I sanded it down to a dull finish and applied a clear coat over the ding area to smooth out the clear coat...What i did was actually fill up the little ding with clear coat, so when i sand it down with the 1500 grit, it will be even with the original clearcoat...Tommorrow i will sand it down, and i hope that little ding disappears or is less noticeable!!! I don't know if this is going to work but i am going to try!!! Anybody has any input or knowledge please do chime in!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
well i am trying to get the little ding out due to my mistake of sanding one little area where the chip...I sanded it down to a dull finish and applied a clear coat over the ding area to smooth out the clear coat...What i did was actually fill up the little ding with clear coat, so when i sand it down with the 1500 grit, it will be even with the original clearcoat...Tommorrow i will sand it down, and i hope that little ding disappears or is less noticeable!!! I don't know if this is going to work but i am going to try!!! Anybody has any input or knowledge please do chime in!!!!
i think that may have been the problem, maybe you should use 2500 and higher to be cautious. just my .02. Be careful, Your color choice is beautiful, it would suck if it was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Okay adding some clear coat to the indentation was not the solution...The solution was to wet sand more of the area beyond the indentation to produce a more even coat that gradually extended to the existing clear coat of the hood...I wet sanded it down a little at a time and polish it, then repeated the first step until it was almost not noticeable...For what it is, its not perfect but i am happier than before...I mean i was quite nervous in messing with a brand new car....But once i realized using 1500-2000 grit sand paper, that you really can fuck up the paint...Some meguire's scratchX polished the dull from the sand paper like magic!!!
Appreciate 0