E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Active Autowerke Stage 2 N51/N52 Tune Review

01-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #45
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modded328FTW View Post
No offense to the OP, but this is just 1 review. There are a few threads that post actual data about whether the tune shows gains or not.

Hard to say how much the car has gained without dyno numbers. I personally am not a fan about the "butt dyno" threads (good/bad).
As OP pointed out, I don't think he was trying to prove that there is no power gain at all. Rather, I think it's about setting a realistic expectation on what it feels like to have a few extra ponies.

What is the typical gain that you expect from the AA tune? According to AA, it s about ~15HP, and 12TQ right? Taking that at face value, that's about ~5% improvement over the stock level. In terms of power to weight, then, it is roughly equivalent to losing ~150lbs of chassis weight (obviously only regarding straight line acceleration). And that's the difference between having a medium size passenger and not having one.

Does that make a difference in how the car feels? Sure, especially just after you pick up or drop off somebody. But after driving around for a while, that difference would become more difficult to feel through your butt dyno. And does dropping off your buddy suddenly makes your car accelerate so quickly that it "pushes your back in the seat"? Well, of course not. The car will feel a bit more lively, acceleration a bit more brisk, but 10 minutes later you'll get used to it and won't even notice the difference much.

And that's using AA advertised numbers. No disrespect to AA, but as a rule of thumb I am always a bit skeptical about vendor published numbers, as would most people here. We already know the outputs vary quite a bit from the factory, and while it's comforting to think that MINE would be on the higher end of the spectrum, I think it's unlikely that any vendor would advertise the worst case scenario, so it's quite likely that your gain may be somewhat less than these numbers.

So all things considered, I would not expect a "back pushing" level of change with this tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #46
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modded328FTW View Post
No offense to the OP, but this is just 1 review. There are a few threads that post actual data about whether the tune shows gains or not.

Hard to say how much the car has gained without dyno numbers. I personally am not a fan about the "butt dyno" threads (good/bad).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
As OP pointed out, I don't think he was trying to prove that there is no power gain at all. Rather, I think it's about setting a realistic expectation on what it feels like to have a few extra ponies.

What is the typical gain that you expect from the AA tune? According to AA, it s about ~15HP, and 12TQ right? Taking that at face value, that's about ~5% improvement over the stock level. In terms of power to weight, then, it is roughly equivalent to losing ~150lbs of chassis weight (obviously only regarding straight line acceleration). And that's the difference between having a medium size passenger and not having one.

Does that make a difference in how the car feels? Sure, especially just after you pick up or drop off somebody. But after driving around for a while, that difference would become more difficult to feel through your butt dyno. And does dropping off your buddy suddenly makes your car accelerate so quickly that it "pushes your back in the seat"? Well, of course not. The car will feel a bit more lively, acceleration a bit more brisk, but 10 minutes later you'll get used to it and won't even notice the difference much.

And that's using AA advertised numbers. No disrespect to AA, but as a rule of thumb I am always a bit skeptical about vendor published numbers, as would most people here. We already know the outputs vary quite a bit from the factory, and while it's comforting to think that MINE would be on the higher end of the spectrum, I think it's unlikely that any vendor would advertise the worst case scenario, so it's quite likely that your gain may be somewhat less than these numbers.

So all things considered, I would not expect a "back pushing" level of change with this tune.
Exactly, and thank you for this explanation -- it really clarifies what 15 HP/12 TQ does for your car. Well said!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #47
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Excuse my noobish question but doesnt the oem perf exhaust already come 2nd cat removed?? What am i missing?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Excuse my noobish question but doesnt the oem perf exhaust already come 2nd cat removed?? What am i missing?
It comes with a midpipe that eliminates the resonator, but not any of the cats.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #49
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
oh yea, its the resonator....forgot about that
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
oh yea, its the resonator....forgot about that
thanks
Correct. The secondary cat delete does wonders for the BMW PE.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #51
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post

Interesting.

For me, Andrew's absolute disregard to questions or concerns turned me off from Active Autowerke. I could give two shits if they make more power, I'm not begging someone to take my money. Period.

To be entitled to extreme service would be one thing, but expecting an answer to a few final questions RIGHT before purchase is another thing.

If I do get a tune, I can say for certain, it will not be with AA. Besides the shit service from AA, Eurocharged has expressed the similar gains with their setup for a lower price, and even offer to reflash upgraded tunes for free. Signs of a company as loyal to its customers as it's customers are to it.

/end rant.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #52
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Interesting.

For me, Andrew's absolute disregard to questions or concerns turned me off from Active Autowerke. I could give two shits if they make more power, I'm not begging someone to take my money. Period.

To be entitled to extreme service would be one thing, but expecting an answer to a few final questions RIGHT before purchase is another thing.

If I do get a tune, I can say for certain, it will not be with AA. Besides the shit service from AA, Eurocharged has expressed the similar gains with their setup for a lower price, and even offer to reflash upgraded tunes for free. Signs of a company as loyal to its customers as it's customers are to it.

/end rant.
Rant justified. I can see where your frustration comes from!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #53
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Kamek, we still need to link up one of these days bro! Thanks for the truly honest words. I'm probably going to cut out my secondary cats soon. Since the weathers getting nicer and i've been driving with the windows down, i'm getting bored of my exhaust again.

I was considering the AA for after the cats, tho. Isnt there local dealers that do it now? idk if i'm just going crazy but I could have sworn there were a few people talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
Kamek, we still need to link up one of these days bro! Thanks for the truly honest words. I'm probably going to cut out my secondary cats soon. Since the weathers getting nicer and i've been driving with the windows down, i'm getting bored of my exhaust again.

I was considering the AA for after the cats, tho. Isnt there local dealers that do it now? idk if i'm just going crazy but I could have sworn there were a few people talking about it.
AA makes an exhaust that replaces the muffler. I haven't heard it in person, but it doesn't sound very good from the vids I've seen. Maybe I'll stop by a meet one day and catch you there, but my car is back to stock minus some cosmetics and my exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #55
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
AA makes an exhaust that replaces the muffler. I haven't heard it in person, but it doesn't sound very good from the vids I've seen. Maybe I'll stop by a meet one day and catch you there, but my car is back to stock minus some cosmetics and my exhaust
Yea for sure dude im prolly gna be at the fresh meadows meet this sunday. Tere might even be one this thurs for cnr haha. The AA exhaust is a glorified muffler delete not worth 500. It has a chamber to help alleviate drone but i think i read somewhere that it wasnt too great. Regardless i get mixed feelings abt my current setup but im content for now
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #56
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Interesting.

/end rant.

What questions did you have? I have not received any questions via Pm from you. If I did they would be answered so feel free to ask away.

Don't forget I have a 56 page thread dedicated to answers customer questions so I don't believe this rant is justified at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #57
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
What questions did you have? I have not received any questions via Pm from you. If I did they would be answered so feel free to ask away.

Don't forget I have a 56 page thread dedicated to answers customer questions so I don't believe this rant is justified at all.
I've asked you numerous times multiple questions in different posts (and watch you do the same thing to other members as well). You pick and choose one part to answer, and withhold as much information as possible just to move on.

Every one of Eurocharged, or Evolve's personnel will answer every question that you have thoroughly. I haven't witnessed the same interest in clearing up confusion, so why send you my money? Its not like I'm acting entitled either, its just a desire to know what the fuck I'm buying.

I haven't once had a clear response to a question I had or that I've viewed from other members. Just speculative sales bullshit. Its totally justified.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #58
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I've asked you numerous times multiple questions in different posts (and watch you do the same thing to other members as well). You pick and choose one part to answer, and withhold as much information as possible just to move on.

Every one of Eurocharged, or Evolve's personnel will answer every question that you have thoroughly. I haven't witnessed the same interest in clearing up confusion, so why send you my money? Its not like I'm acting entitled either, its just a desire to know what the fuck I'm buying.

I haven't once had a clear response to a question I had or that I've viewed from other members. Just speculative sales bullshit. Its totally justified.
What was the question? I may have overlooked a few as they come in large masses but I'm not trying to avoid anything. Like I said future customer or not ask away and I will do my best to answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #59
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:

I had a good experience with Andrew and I'm sure he's on other forums instead of e90post and he wont be able to answer questions to every post on every thread. If it really mattered to you, you can pm him, if that doesn't work (because it didn't work for me) you can also give him a call. I called AA and asked for Andrew and we had a good convo and he answered every one of my questions about the tune and the exhaust and everything.
Appreciate 0